Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
How is galley noise/light from row 8? I'm on TLV-EWR in early November and row 8 window is open which would be preferred by me because of the larger foot well referenced in the Wiki. However, I'm sensitive to galley noise when trying to sleep so if it's bad I'd rather keep my window seat in row 10 which is further away from the galley but has a smaller foot well.

FYI - my biggest complaint in UAs 777 fleet (both sCO and sUA) are the incredibly cramped foot wells which makes it difficult for me to sleep.

Thanks,
RM
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
I'm on UA999 EWR-BRU (50 bf seats so I think it is is this plane) and in Y and only silver. The only E+ available at the moment which isn't a middle seat is row 31 which is completely open. Apart from the proximity of toilets is there anything else wrong with these seats? I'm hoping they stay open another 24 hours and I can snag one. 32 FE are also open but I thankfully read this RE row 32:
Correct that 32E/F are E-. Nothing wrong with 31. Decent seats, though some taller people don't like the proximity of the bulkhead. Because it's a bulkhead, you may end up with an infant in your row.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
How is galley noise/light from row 8? I'm on TLV-EWR in early November and row 8 window is open which would be preferred by me because of the larger foot well referenced in the Wiki. However, I'm sensitive to galley noise when trying to sleep so if it's bad I'd rather keep my window seat in row 10 which is further away from the galley but has a smaller foot well.

FYI - my biggest complaint in UAs 777 fleet (both sCO and sUA) are the incredibly cramped foot wells which makes it difficult for me to sleep.

Thanks,
RM
I personally have never been bothered. It's certainly an issue during meal times but other than that, I've been extremely happy with row 8 (my preferred row)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Thanks,
RM
I just flew in seat 8E HKG-EWR and found the footwell much larger than the one I had on a pmUA 772 ORD-HKG. Light and noise were minimal and I didn't even use my eye shades. Crew was happy and helpful and this was one of my best BF experiences on United in a long time.

Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Correct that 32E/F are E-. Nothing wrong with 31. Decent seats, though some taller people don't like the proximity of the bulkhead. Because it's a bulkhead, you may end up with an infant in your row.

Hmmm thanks. I'm pretty tall 6'3". Does this row have recline? there is an emergency exit behind?

But there doesn't seem a better option. Although I am tempted to go for 32 f and hope no one take middle seat.

EDIT: What about row 45 does that have extra legroom?

Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Hmmm thanks. I'm pretty tall 6'3". Does this row have recline? there is an emergency exit behind?
It has normal recline with no exit row behind. If you take an aisle there, you should be fine, though others who are taller can answer better than me.

I'm shorter than you and I prefer the bulkhead on UA

But there doesn't seem a better option. Although I am tempted to go for 32 f and hope no one take middle seat.
31F is certainly better than 32F in every which way. I wouldn't do that

EDIT: What about row 45 does that have extra legroom?
45 does NOT have extra legroom. It has standard legroom and may have limited recline. I'd avoid that row at all costs!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:47 am

It has normal recline with no exit row behind. If you take an aisle there, you should be fine, though others who are taller can answer better than me.

I'm shorter than you and I prefer the bulkhead on UA

31F is certainly better than 32F in every which way. I wouldn't do that

45 does NOT have extra legroom. It has standard legroom and may have limited recline. I'd avoid that row at all costs!
Thanks very much pal. I will keep my current seat.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:50 pm

Hard to gather what the consensus is on here... I have a choice between 1E and 8D/E. Seems like 1E is likely to be somewhat quieter, but slightly closer to the lav that's on the other side of 1D. Not sure what the best is. I am on a late night departure EWR-TLV, so hoping to sleep most of the flight.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I personally have never been bothered. It's certainly an issue during meal times but other than that, I've been extremely happy with row 8 (my preferred row)
That is a very valid point. Mrs. KC and I have done 1EF twice and the galleys were extremely quiet outside of mealtime, when we were not trying to rest.

On the other hand, a lav means constant noise. Even on a red eye, there are a few people, such as myself, who just can't sleep on a plane. After having 3 or 4 drinks between the PDB and the end of dinner, even if I stop drinking I usually have to make a few trips to the john throughout the flight. Oh, and is isn't the door or the people that bother me, but that sound that is made every time the toilet is flushed.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by phkc070408
That is a very valid point. Mrs. KC and I have done 1EF twice and the galleys were extremely quiet outside of mealtime, when we were not trying to rest.

On the other hand, a lav means constant noise. Even on a red eye, there are a few people, such as myself, who just can't sleep on a plane. After having 3 or 4 drinks between the PDB and the end of dinner, even if I stop drinking I usually have to make a few trips to the john throughout the flight. Oh, and is isn't the door or the people that bother me, but that sound that is made every time the toilet is flushed.
I agree. That noise is annoying. 1K opened up on my TLV-EWR flight but I think I'll stay back in 8K. Seems a little closer to the galley but doesn't have any lav noise issues. I'm wondering if 1K isn't far enough away from the lav to not hear the flushing sound.

-RM
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: kayaker
I agree. That noise is annoying. 1K opened up on my TLV-EWR flight but I think I'll stay back in 8K. Seems a little closer to the galley but doesn't have any lav noise issues. I'm wondering if 1K isn't far enough away from the lav to not hear the flushing sound.

-RM
I've said it before, but 1K is my favorite seat on that aircraft. I never noticed the lav flushing noise before, as it's relatively far away on the other side of the aircraft. Row 8 isn't bad, but I prefer the secluded "corner" feel of 1K.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by o mikros
I've never noticed the lav flushing noise before, as it's relatively far away on the other side of the aircraft.
I'll second that!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: UA
Ua 79 ewr->nrt

Hello all-

Currently flying EWR-NRT in Nov

I have the option between:
1 B/L
8 B/D/K/L

and some random Business First Seat....Not sure I want tn crawl out over any in L1, but I like the idea of the widow seat if i get bored. Normally I would go for 8D, for ease of access, but I have never been on this config before and couldnt tell from all the comments what I should do.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wcallaha
Hello all-

1 B/L
8 B/D/K/L

and some random Business First Seat....Not sure I want tn crawl out over any in L1, but I like the idea of the widow seat if i get bored. Normally I would go for 8D, for ease of access, but I have never been on this config before and couldnt tell from all the comments what I should do.
8D for direct aisle access, not much to see out window for most of flight. Far & above over any of those other choices
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
8D for direct aisle access, not much to see out window for most of flight. Far & above over any of those other choices
Not to mention FAs usually ask everyone to close (and keep closed) the shades.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by wcallaha
Hello all-

1 B/L
8 B/D/K/L

I liked 8D. Especially if you are a side sleeper. The larger foot well is nice. And you are the first to be served in that section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.