Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold
seat 1L EWR-TLV

Hi All- thanks for great info on this thread! From reading the posts, I understand that 1L is a great seat to have on this configuration.. My concern is how much light/noise there is from the galley? Does anybody have pics of the seat's location? My other choices are 11L and 9A. I am looking for a window seat with relative privacy to try to sleep and also have my food selection available :-)

Thanks a ton!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yulie
Hi All- thanks for great info on this thread! From reading the posts, I understand that 1L is a great seat to have on this configuration.. My concern is how much light/noise there is from the galley? Does anybody have pics of the seat's location? My other choices are 11L and 9A. I am looking for a window seat with relative privacy to try to sleep and also have my food selection available :-)

Thanks a ton!
You're good, don't worry - it's not that noisy up there, and you get the benefit of an actual human sized footwell for your feet. And you'll have a better chance of meal choice since you're in row 1 in that cabin.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by Yulie

Thanks a ton!
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You're good, don't worry - it's not that noisy up there, and you get the benefit of an actual human sized footwell for your feet. And you'll have a better chance of meal choice since you're in row 1 in that cabin.
I would second UA-NYC's comment: there is a sort of short "hallway" made by the walls of the galley so you actually don't see/hear much of what's going on up there, especially if you're in the window seat. I'll reiterate that I think 1L is the best [customer] seat on the plane.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:26 am

1D? Mistake of my life?

I'm on the daylight flight from Tel Aviv to Newark on 27 May. As usual, the flights are heavily booked.

I hav my dog with me, so I think that a bulkhead is better due to the footwell.

Row 2 doesn't have anything open. On my last flight, Row 8 felt really cramped, and it is noisier. Also, the guy next to me was super hostile.

I used to love 8D, but it felt very cramped on my last few flights in row 8.

I was thinking that 1D would feel less claustrophobic since there is just one seat next to it.

As always I'm open to your thoughts and suggestions.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by Mats
I'm on the daylight flight from Tel Aviv to Newark on 27 May. As usual, the flights are heavily booked.

I hav my dog with me, so I think that a bulkhead is better due to the footwell.

Row 2 doesn't have anything open. On my last flight, Row 8 felt really cramped, and it is noisier. Also, the guy next to me was super hostile.

I used to love 8D, but it felt very cramped on my last few flights in row 8.

I was thinking that 1D would feel less claustrophobic since there is just one seat next to it.

As always I'm open to your thoughts and suggestions.
1D puts you about 4 feet from the front lavatory. If the usual lav sounds and smells is your kind of thing, then 1D it is. I'll never sit anywhere but 8E, then 8D, if available. 8E because you are slanted slightly away from the aisle and the larger lav is on the same side. Can't agree about the cramped feeling. Larger footwells like Row 1 and 2A, 2B. And I don't think 8E, 8D are any louder than 1K, 1L, IMHO.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:45 am

Thank you, JerseySlime!
8E was open, and I booked it. I'll keep my eye on the forward cabin when I check in.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:51 am

Excellent ... thanks for the heads-up. Snagged 1L for GIG-IAH ^

Old May 28, 2015, 9:08 am

Flying AMS-IAH in business on a PMCO 772. Row 8 is open, but I am flying with an under 15. Is this designated as an exit row? I wouldn't think so since there is a bulkhead, and it let me pick seats without an exit row warning, but I want to confirm in case anyone knows for sure.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lkar
Flying AMS-IAH in business on a PMCO 772. Row 8 is open, but I am flying with an under 15. Is this designated as an exit row? I wouldn't think so since there is a bulkhead, and it let me pick seats without an exit row warning, but I want to confirm in case anyone knows for sure.
Don't think so...now that PS is reconfigured, are there even any F/BF/GF seats in the fleet that are exit row?
Old May 28, 2015, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't think so...now that PS is reconfigured, are there even any F/BF/GF seats in the fleet that are exit row?
I can't think of any. Certainly not on any BF/GF aircraft.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:37 pm

Thanks very much. I've never flown this aircraft. Does anyone have easy access to any links of reviews with pictures -- I've done some searching and there are lots of widebody UA Business class reviews floating around the Internet, but they seem to be of the three-class aircraft, the 2-4-2 product, or of the 767. Thanks in advance.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA
No it is not. I sat in 8E on a PMco 772 to HKG and it is not an exit row.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
but they seem to be of the three-class aircraft, the 2-4-2 product, or of the 767.
Try searching in now closed to posting CO forum and Google Continental (airlines) 777 images @:-) Seat or layout hasn't changed since merger

Originally Posted by pbartp
No it is not. I sat in 8E on a PMco 772 to HKG and it is not an exit row.
There is not a single exit row in Biz or FC in longhaul planes.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
In row 16, I understand that the tray tables are in the arm-rest. Is the AVOD mounted on the bulkhead wall, or a that crazy bar like in row 32?
Old May 30, 2015, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Is the AVOD mounted on the bulkhead wall, or a that crazy bar like in row 32?
The latter.

Actually, since I never sit in that seat, I could be wrong about that. Just don't remember seeing screens on bulkhead as I was walking toward exit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.