Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If i check in online and want to drop by baggage off at a kiosk how does that work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If i check in online and want to drop by baggage off at a kiosk how does that work?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

The UAL website says checked baggage can be dropped off a kiosk.

I didn't think the United kiosks had any employees stationed at them?

I certainly am not going to leave my baggage at a kiosk that does not have an employee there.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brandi Murray

I certainly am not going to leave my baggage at a kiosk that does not have an employee there.
There are special kyosks that say Bag Drop Only, and usually theres a counter being manned right near by, after all the bags still have to be weighed etc
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Not sure what airport the OP is departing from, but some airports (like the new UA terminal as LAS) have a somewhat confusing setup because they have the pod of bag checkin kiosks sitting a few feet distant from the actual checkin counters. There was a small mob of people around the kiosks who had checked in on the kiosk but were clustered between kiosk and counter waiting for an available counter agent to actually hand the bag to. A bit of a mess.

I prefer the setup where the kiosks are built in to the checkin counters with an agent directly behind, and there's an orderly rope line leading to the counters, and there's no guessing "where do I go next".
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

You won't be leaving your luggage at a kiosk. When you go to the airport, you'll be selecting bag drop on a kiosk monitor (at or near the counter) by entering your reservation or frequent flyer number or by scanning the bar code on you boarding pass. A printer behind the counter will spit out the bag tags. A UA employee or contractor will place the tag on your luggage (and usually check your ID and boarding pass).

As the above poster suggested, some kiosks are not at the counter (eg
Las Vegas), but the tags will print out behind the counter and you'll take the bags to the counter after using the kiosk. Also, Las Vegas has some multi-airline check-in kiosks prior to entering the specific airline check-in areas - these cannot be used for checking in luggage.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You won't be leaving your luggage at a kiosk. When you go to the airport, you'll be selecting bag drop on a kiosk monitor (at or near the counter) by entering your reservation or frequent flyer number or by scanning the bar code on you boarding pass. A printer behind the counter will spit out the bag tags. A UA employee or contractor will place the tag on your luggage (and usually check your ID and boarding pass).

As the above poster suggested, some kiosks are not at the counter (eg
Las Vegas), but the tags will print out behind the counter and you'll take the bags to the counter after using the kiosk. Also, Las Vegas has some multi-airline check-in kiosks prior to entering the specific airline check-in areas - these cannot be used for checking in luggage.
So if the bags need to be checked at the kiosk, does the person still need to enter information at the terminal?

Where are these UA employees and contractor? Do I need to find one?

This is at SAN and BUF.

They will not check in at the kiosk. They will check in online.

If they check in online, do they need to print a boarding pass? We obviously have not flown a lot lately.

This is for two senior citizens who are not necessarily computer savy. It seems like going to the counter is the way to go.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than confusing you further, just bring the bags and the pre-printed boarding passes from on-line check-in to the counter marked "bag drop". You will receive further directions if you need them.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by Often1
Rather than confusing you further, just bring the bags and the pre-printed boarding passes from on-line check-in to the counter marked "bag drop". You will receive further directions if you need them.
You can also go to the regular counter if you can't find the special bag-drop one (I often drop bags at the premier counter at SFO rather than walking all the way to the dedicated bag drop). And, you can also drop them off with the curbside baggage people if such an option exists at the airport you're leaving from.

In essence, don't stress out. Think of online checkin as simply adding an extra option (the dedicated OLCI bag-drop station) to the options that you already had for dropping off your bags.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
This is for two senior citizens who are not necessarily computer savy. It seems like going to the counter is the way to go.
If you're looking to minimize complexity, I'd go with the curbside option. You add a small fee (plus tip) per bag, but you eliminate all of the lines and interaction with the kiosks. Of course, this assumes that curbside checkin is an option at BUF and SAN...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience (from ABQ, BTR, MSY & PHX) has been...
1. Enter MP or PRN at kiosk.
2. Respond 'Yes' to the checked luggage question (plus how many bags to be checked).
3. Print boarding passes if you wish.
4. Sign out of kiosk.
5. Luggage tags will print behind the counter where an employee retrieves them and calls the name on the tag: "Mr. kale73?"
6. Bring bags to the employee who will then check your ID, weigh and tag the bags, and place them on the conveyor belt.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kale73
My experience (from ABQ, BTR, MSY & PHX) has been...
1. Enter MP or PRN at kiosk.
2. Respond 'Yes' to the checked luggage question (plus how many bags to be checked).
3. Print boarding passes if you wish.
4. Sign out of kiosk.
5. Luggage tags will print behind the counter where an employee retrieves them and calls the name on the tag: "Mr. kale73?"
6. Bring bags to the employee who will then check your ID, weigh and tag the bags, and place them on the conveyor belt.
2a. Pay for baggage, unless the OP's passengers have the Chase card or Premier Status.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
So if the bags need to be checked at the kiosk, does the person still need to enter information at the terminal?
You will need to enter your UA FF # or enter your PRN. I think swiping a cc works too. Been too long since I've tried as I just enter my FF #.

Where are these UA employees and contractor? Do I need to find one?
They are right behind the kiosk just like in the old days. Once you enter your info and confirm the # of bags on the kiosk they will basically find you by calling out your name, as another poster stated.

They will not check in at the kiosk. They will check in online.
You will still need to go to a kiosk, bag drop or a skycap to check the bags even if checking in online.

If they check in online, do they need to print a boarding pass? We obviously have not flown a lot lately.
You can if you want to but after indicating the number of checked bags on the kiosk it will ask if you want to print the boarding pass. It's up to you.

As another poster stated don't stress it. It's pretty easy. It's been so long since I've used a dedicated "bag drop" area that I don't recall exactly the process. However, I remember them being exactly like described above. It's just now any kiosk is a bag drop too. So don't stress trying to find the bag drop. If you see an open kiosk then go for it. Just don't use one that says something along the lines of "can't be used to check luggage" or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.