Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stop me from spending miles on a bad deal (cpm-wise) or help rationalize :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal

So I have a fair amount of miles, but not obscene (400Kish). I also like to get max usage out of them.

Thus I never ever ever consider buying from the mileage mall. Until today. I saw an ad for a Kindle Paperwhite. I want one very much.

Thus my dilemma... I almost impulse-bought a Kindle Paperwhite for 18.7K miles from the mileage mall. At least I stopped myself to post at FT first

It is a bad deal in all respects, valuing my miles at roughly $0.007 per mile (I pay tax on Amazon stuff in WA). That is a bad bad deal. But I still want a Paperwhite and don't really want to pay cash for one while I have a work first-gen Nook.

Can any of you help rationalize this for me?
Old May 31, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leland
So I have a fair amount of miles, but not obscene (400Kish). I also like to get max usage out of them.

Thus I never ever ever consider buying from the mileage mall. Until today. I saw an ad for a Kindle Paperwhite. I want one very much.

Thus my dilemma... I almost impulse-bought a Kindle Paperwhite for 18.7K miles from the mileage mall. At least I stopped myself to post at FT first

It is a bad deal in all respects, valuing my miles at roughly $0.007 per mile (I pay tax on Amazon stuff in WA). That is a bad bad deal. But I still want a Paperwhite and don't really want to pay cash for one while I have a work first-gen Nook.

It is such a clear "don't purchase w miles" that it is insane. If you can afford the cash, just buy it.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leland

Only you can decide what is and isn't reasonable for you. You say you don't want to pay cash. How else would you pay other than cash or miles? Would you miss out on an award by using the miles for the Kindle? What do YOU value miles at for what you normally use them for? Is it that you can't afford to pay cash or just don't want to? Answer all these question and you should be able to decide yes or no to using the miles.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:16 pm

As a side note, I'm using a Kindle paperwhite, and it is awesome.
Best reader period.
Go for it, either using the miles or cash.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:48 pm

Your miles aren't going to go up in value over time. So if you have no immediate use for the miles and do have an immediate use for the Kindle paperwhite I'd say go for it. It beats spending real money when you have another option. Now that you mention it I'm tempted although I really don't have any justification for replacing my Kindle 3G keyboard.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not a bad deal if you don't want to spend the $$ and won't miss the miles.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:16 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Are you continuing to earn miles at a pretty good clip? How long will it take you to replace the miles?

Mr. Ericka has been traveling so much in his new job and we're using 2 different UA cards for business and personal expenses....basically the miles just keep coming in. I find this makes me a little more reckless in how I use them.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:40 pm

Please keep this to yourselves...

I just spent 25,000 (OK, it was really closer to 29,000) AMEX MR points for a Sony waterproof camera. It was on sale from 32,000 points!

We really liked our last Sony camera, an earlier model similar to this one, but it finally gave up the ghost...

I did not even search the internet to see what the cash price is. Shame on me.

I guess my ride in Singapore First Class Suites on a saver award will have to wait a little longer...
Old May 31, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I just flew in SQ Suites and can only say, save your miles!
Old May 31, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I just flew in SQ Suites and can only say, save your miles!
Old May 31, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I would not do it.

with 120 K miles you can get a saver RT J award to India (usually runs around $12,000).

That is a 10 cents per mile redemption so your 18.7 K miles would worth a case worth of kindles or as many as $1.9K would buy.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Sell the Nook on eBay and buy the Kindle with $$.... save your mile for a F seat somewhere down the line!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Thank you for talking me down from recklessness. That said I really enjoyed seeing the

I accumulate miles at a decent clip plus find them hard to use (lately been trying to explore where I live more than the ends of the earth that I get to for work), so blowing 20K on something frivolous or not valuable wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me.

That said the SQ suite idea... Well I might just have to save up for that

And having been on India flights twice now in F, not sure I'm keen to do it again Memorable instance on one of those flights was seeing a child puke on Chris Dodd (US senator). Super-impressed as he ended up inviting the family to visit him in his office at DC and never once got angry.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
If you buy with miles, you will LOSE all these protections offered from credit cards (extended warrenty, price protection, etc.).

I never even use gift cards to buy electronics. All my amazon gift cards are used for grocery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.