Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why send an Intl 752 to DEN?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Aircraft utilization is a good thing, since they can't make money if the leave the plane sitting on the ground, regardless of configuration.

This reminds me of the olden days when they used to fly 777 and 747 on mid-con repositioning flights.
Yup! I remember that for a short period of time UA was flying a 747 LAX-SFO for repositioning...it continued on to NRT and UA served a full int'l breakfast on the short route. I remember the FAs pushing carts "uphill" and stowing them just short of touchdown in SFO. Those were the days!!
Old May 31, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by aacharya
But perhaps I missed the super-elite heavy routes..
As a 1K last week on ORD-DCA I was #24....
Old May 31, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As a 1K last week on ORD-DCA I was #24....
The DC stuff could be government Y fares.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Originally Posted by 1KPath
Yes, really! On the LAX-IAD route alone, I have been on flights with 20+ GS (including me) on a regular basis...the same with LAX-BOS and LAX-JFK... especially during the Hollywood award season!!
Fascinating. Ever since I've become 1K, I've always been at or near the top of the list when not upgraded. Can't imagine any flight i've been on then would have 20+ GS. But perhaps I missed the super-elite heavy routes..
There aren't as many in EWR, CLE or GUM.

SFO, IAD, ORD and LAX, certainly.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Last time I was on that bird for DEN-EWR, I ended up in the mid-20s on the upgrade list (as a 1K). As silvers? Forget about it...
Old May 31, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
purely economic reason

Aircraft utilization is a good thing since they can't lose as much money if the plane is sitting on the ground, regardless of the configuration.
I couldn't help it.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IAD-LAX, IAD-DEN are UA's city pairs

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The DC stuff could be government Y fares.
IAD-DEN YCA round trip fare is ~$1000. IAD-LAX is $650. But government travels are down significantly after March. If you notice an increase in your CPU % recently, you can blame government Y fare for lack of CPUs on those routes before March.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
As a 1K I hardly ever get upgraded so OP please dont loose sleep over upgrade as a Silver.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
When did you buy? In February or thereabouts, United published the fares (valid starting in April) that they've been using to try to destroy VX, and they're very cheap fares.
Unfortunately, I bought ~3 weeks before departure. On 2 of the 5 segments in my RT, E- was booked full already, on a third, only middle seats were left. Although it's a family trip, I've got some meetings in the middle of it for one of my jobs, and had to wait 'til they were confirmed, talk to the guy who replaced me as their flight coordinator about reimbursement limits, yadda yadda.

Originally Posted by Ahuch
I'm sure there are plenty of good operational reasons, but I wouldn't ever worry about upgrades on a hub-hub flight as a silver regardless. Not very likely.
Originally Posted by tashi
As a 1K I hardly ever get upgraded so OP please dont loose sleep over upgrade as a Silver.
Oh, of course not. I just dropped to Silver in February, and after this trip will be one flight away from regaining Gold. I still get stuck on non-*A carriers now and then, though (flying for a nonprofit, they like whoever's cheap) so I don't know if I'll be able to make it to Platinum this year.

Nor am I expecting to get into F on UA235 DEN-LAX, since it's a little 12F A320 with 10 seats already taken. That said, those are the shortest flights of my trip, so if I only manage to grab E+ 24 hours out, my family will all survive.

I've got significantly better odds on the once-daily LAX-ITO (UA1004) and the once-weekly ITO-SFO (UA1274), since anything involving ITO is pretty elite-light and they're both already full in E-. SFO-EWR (UA429) is iffy - not quite as wide open as the ITO legs, but still enough space in F and E+ that I'm hoping to at least escape from our current separate middle seats in E-!

Thanks for the answers about international-config 752s turning up on domestic routes. First time I've run into one myself - maybe I should try flying to Florida sometime. (Never been.)

Last edited by DanTravels; May 31, 2013 at 8:02 pm Reason: fixed a broken tag
Old May 31, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Let's look at the bright side here: no matter what, you'll still have better seats in Econ w/ AC power and AVOD than you would on the old 752 if you weren't upgraded.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I was on exactly the same flight a few weeks back and when I checked where the plane was coming from and it was coming in from LHR, which I guess is the same as a few people mentioned coming with the plane coming in from a TATL leg.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by xianrocker
Let's look at the bright side here: no matter what, you'll still have better seats in Econ w/ AC power and AVOD than you would on the old 752 if you weren't upgraded.
Yes, power & AVOD are good, but I'll take the old sUA 757 Y seat over the rock-solid sCO 757 seat any day.

I still don't know how one stays in one piece crossing the Atlantic sitting on those awful things.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by TravelBeat
Yes, power & AVOD are good, but I'll take the old sUA 757 Y seat over the rock-solid sCO 757 seat any day.

I still don't know how one stays in one piece crossing the Atlantic sitting on those awful things.
Different strokes... I'll take the supportive seats we used to find on CO any day over those squishy seats UA serves. The latter never fails to give me back pains.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I actually love the seat pitch ont he international 757 along with free entertainment. No need to complain. A silver is almost certainly not getting an upgrade on any plan for this route. Sorry.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
Unhappy 757s Gone EWR-FLL

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Unfortunately, I bought ~3 weeks before departure. On 2 of the 5 segments in my RT, E- was booked full already, on a third, only middle seats were left. Although it's a family trip, I've got some meetings in the middle of it for one of my jobs, and had to wait 'til they were confirmed, talk to the guy who replaced me as their flight coordinator about reimbursement limits, yadda yadda.

Oh, of course not. I just dropped to Silver in February, and after this trip will be one flight away from regaining Gold. I still get stuck on non-*A carriers now and then, though (flying for a nonprofit, they like whoever's cheap) so I don't know if I'll be able to make it to Platinum this year.

Nor am I expecting to get into F on UA235 DEN-LAX, since it's a little 12F A320 with 10 seats already taken. That said, those are the shortest flights of my trip, so if I only manage to grab E+ 24 hours out, my family will all survive.

I've got significantly better odds on the once-daily LAX-ITO (UA1004) and the once-weekly ITO-SFO (UA1274), since anything involving ITO is pretty elite-light and they're both already full in E-. SFO-EWR (UA429) is iffy - not quite as wide open as the ITO legs, but still enough space in F and E+ that I'm hoping to at least escape from our current separate middle seats in E-!

Thanks for the answers about international-config 752s turning up on domestic routes. First time I've run into one myself - maybe I should try flying to Florida sometime. (Never been.)
I checked tomorrow's (Monday's) schedule, first Mondays' in July, August, and three dates in December 2013. Looks like (all) the 75s are gone from the schedule--EWR to FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.