Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mitchmu
HNL had CO and UA clubs, didn't it? Which one survived? I wonder if CO policy was to force members to show the card even though they could be authenticated with the BP?
The UC survived. One particular agent who shall remain nameless does this.

Originally Posted by Fredd
We let our memberships expire at the end of 2012. I agree that for the past few years most employees preferred BPs to cards - so much easier than hauling out the card - with one exception for us: the HNL club.

When we tried to enter it early one morning in 2010 the employee made a big fuss in demanding my card, and told us the other clubs I cited weren't doing it right.

On a subsequent visit to HNL some months later I hauled out my card without asking and another employee thanked me for "doing it the right way." We all prefer praise for being well-behaved, don't we?

Just another example of magnificently consistent inconsistency I guess.
It was very frustrating for me. This is my home airport and I would be in the lounge weekly. There was only one agent who made me haul everything out of the wallet. Finally I confronted the agent and said--I don't understand why you are the only person in this club to demand all of this. Everyone else here knows me. The agent next to her nodded. I am in here once a week. She claimed she did not recognize me with my hair up. So I pulled the clip out of my hair and let it fall down and said, fine I am out of my disguise now. Whenever I go in with my hair up I always say--it's me, I'm wearing my disguise. She learned my name very quickly after that and greets me by name every time I see her.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by mitchmu
...After the takeover, they started pushing me to show my card, and I started having to fight for entry about half the time. After demanding that they scan my BP, and often requiring escalation to a supervisor, I'm finally given access when they scan the bar code on my BP.
I've visit multiple UA clubs every week at stations around the world and NEVER experienced what you describe....EVER. I've never had to "fight" for entry into a club. Occasionally I get the raised eyebrow accompanied by "are you a member?" question but after I answer affirmatively and they scan the BP in I go.

Now I don't doubt that the OP, yourself, and others have been hassled trying to get into clubs but I simply cannot imagine that someone would have to "fight for entry" anywhere near 10% of the time let alone HALF. I'm sorry, but I, respectfully, just don't buy the horribleness your post describes.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Have to agree. Before and since the merger, gratefully I haven't had any trouble gaining entry to domestic UC. I travel in jeans and T-shirt, and occasionally am not flying UA. Do consider myself lucky after reading other people's difficulties.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by Pat89339
The UC survived. One particular agent who shall remain nameless does this.

She sure is a sourpuss.

I show the card when I travel since it's easier for me to access. And because of her.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:17 pm

I guess I'm part of the strange minority that prefers handing over my UC card and driver's license for all the domestic clubs. Then again I usually travel with the UC card and my *G card whenever I get on a plane.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I don't actually use paper boarding passes any more, and when I'm traveling just throw my UC card into my wallet. I can't remember the last time an agent actually asked for the card. It's pretty much - scan my electronic boarding pass myself, get welcomed to the UC, walk in...

It was only when I went back in to complain that the woman at the door asked for my card and ID.... The first one who refused to let me in didn't ask for anything - other than where I was going...
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I don't even take my UC card or 1K card when flying domestically.

I scan my mobile boarding pass and go in. I've probably been in UCs 100+ times since March 3rd '12 and I've never had any problems getting in.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I guess I'm part of the strange minority that prefers handing over my UC card and driver's license for all the domestic clubs. Then again I usually travel with the UC card and my *G card whenever I get on a plane.
I'm in that minority too. I always hand over my UC card and drivers license as soon as I get to the counter and have never been asked for anything else, much less a boarding pass, which is a good thing when I'm flying B6 out of BOS.

IAD has never asked me for anything else either and I was there this morning.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I usually use a mobile BP. I don't want to hand over my phone (I would have to unlock it and find the BP, and I'm worried they might drop it), so I just pull out my UC card. Often they want an ID, sometimes not.

Never had any problems entering any UC club anywhere, and I've been a member since ~1993.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by bldr1k
I don't even take my UC card or 1K card when flying domestically.
Of course not; it's far too much trouble to carry a 2/10-ounce card.

Originally Posted by wtigerFF
I always hand over my UC card and drivers license as soon as I get to the counter and have never been asked for anything else.
Good for you.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by RNE
Of course not; it's far too much trouble to carry a 2/10-ounce card. .
When you travel light and only carry an ID, debit card, and credit card adding an extra (and unneeded) card or two to your wallet is a pain.

I think it's quite clear that you don't need a club card if you have a UA boarding pass. Anyone who offers up such collateral is doing so on their own behest (or flying another airline).
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Had the dragon bothered to screen his BP that wouldn't have mattered.
precisely my point way upthread.

Originally Posted by RNE
But why be subject to their bothering? Getting what you're due is your responsibility, not theirs. Don't give them a chance to "not bother." Present your membership card and a photo ID, and shut up.
Because it's not the normal procedure. Everything is tied to your MP# which is accessibly via the boarding pass scan to the agents. That is what they are supposed to do in all cases.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Who carries their membership card?
I do, but I've never needed it for access to a United Club, but I might need it in some special case, so just in case it's in my bag, but not in a very convenient spot so it's not easy to dig it out if I need it.

Originally Posted by RNE
Ignore my sound advice at your own peril.
lol, no problem. I will continue to do just that.

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I usually use a mobile BP. I don't want to hand over my phone (I would have to unlock it and find the BP, and I'm worried they might drop it), so I just pull out my UC card. Often they want an ID, sometimes not.

Never had any problems entering any UC club anywhere, and I've been a member since ~1993.
No problem doing it the way you want to do it and there's nothing wrong with using your UC card and ID, but they normally have the mobile bp readers and you can handle your device yourself, just wait until they give you the ok to remove your device from the mobile bp reader.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 2, 2013 at 7:41 am
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I have to show my card every time...

Because I get in through my TK status. The lounge agents usually say "your boarding pass is enough" and I tell them they will need my card.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Because I get in through my TK status. The lounge agents usually say "your boarding pass is enough" and I tell them they will need my card.
Why do they need your card?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by mre5765
Why do they need your card?
Because anc-ord772 uses TK *G card, not UC membership to get in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.