Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LilAbner
I must agree with the last several posts. It is my guess also that the club at C-8 was jammed and the guards were manufacturing a reason to prevent too many more people from entering. The OP wouldn't know this because he was probably turned around upstairs, and even if he managed to get down below he needed to get past the second line of defense (perch).
There is no "upstairs" or "downstairs" at the C8 UC. Unlike the C17 and D8 UCs, the C8 club is all one level.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mitchmu
The thing I find most bizarre about this is the fact that two employees (a.k.a. "co-workers") refused entry to you and apparently made up the notion of an "international lounge."

It leaves me scratching my head and wondering where in the world did this concept originate?

How, when, why, and how did someone invent the notion that a regular RCC (a.k.a. UC) lounge is now for international flights only?

And, perhaps more significantly, if they adopted a position that the lounge was only for international flights, unless the "co-workers" invented that notion exactly the moment you arrived, they must have refused entry to others, as well, before you, since a majority of UC members are probably on domestic flights. Assuming that's so, isn't there some point where someone would start to question the situation as to why an endless stream of UC members are showing up and asking to use the membership they paid for, all day long, day after day?
I have the same feeling as you are
Old May 27, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The UC (former RCC) matrons in IAD are well known for making up rules as they go along. Back in the chit days they wouldn't give out drink chits to *Gs, the IFL would deny entrance to people in F on non-UA *A flights, Canada was considered a domestic flight, They limited guests, and so on.

The actions describe above by the OP are neither new nor surprising.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
The UC (former RCC) matrons in IAD are well known for making up rules as they go along. Back in the chit days they wouldn't give out drink chits to *Gs, the IFL would deny entrance to people in F on non-UA *A flights, Canada was considered a domestic flight, They limited guests, and so on.

The actions describe above by the OP are neither new nor surprising.
Do you believe that this behavior is "well known" to the broader FT community?

I have never before seen a thread on FT that describes the pervasive "making up of rules" that you mention is "well known" to have occurred in the past.

I also feel well qualified to personally question this assertion, because during my years as both a GS and a 1K, IAD was my primary hub. I worked on a project that required me to fly to/from IAD on a very routine basis for several years, and, I used IAD as the jumping off point for many European flights. As such, I have more experience with IAD than any airport other than my home airport of SFO, and I can tell you for a fact that I never once experienced any sort of "rogue" behavior from a PMUA employee at an RCC lounge as OP describes in this thread.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
There is no "upstairs" or "downstairs" at the C8 UC. Unlike the C17 and D8 UCs, the C8 club is all one level.
I'm starting to wonder if Abner is seriously confused. He posted this upthread:

"Many moons ago, I mis-connected at IAD and went to this same (C-7) club for assistance with my return to LAX. A red headed lady in there went off big time on me when I asked if I could be routed back home on ANY plane or sets of planes that had F/C available for the upgrade that I had reserved for the flight that I missed. The answer given was, this in NOT Albertson's where you get coupons for buying a lot of potato chips. If you want something for nothing go to Albertsons and shop. We're putting you on the plane that we want you to travel on and that one is full in F/C." "These mileage awards are giving people something for nothing and we don't like it one bit!""

There isn't an Albertsons within a 800 miles of Dulles. The closest one would be in central Florida somewhere. I seriously doubt if a pmUA employee at Dulles would have been referencing Albertsons.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez

I have never before seen a thread on FT that describes the pervasive "making up of rules" that you mention is "well known" to have occurred in the past.

I also feel well qualified to personally question this assertion, because during my years as both a GS and a 1K, IAD was my primary hub. I worked on a project that required me to fly to/from IAD on a very routine basis for several years, and, I used IAD as the jumping off point for many European flights. As such, I have more experience with IAD than any airport other than my home airport of SFO, and I can tell you for a fact that I never once experienced any sort of "rogue" behavior from a PMUA employee at an RCC lounge as OP describes in this thread.
I certainly did. In fact, IAD is probably the *only* airport I've ever had any trouble with a club moat dragon (Oh wait - there was that one incident at ORD more than a decade past). Even as a GS I was routinely subjected to random rules and surly attitudes there. I still can't decide whether it's IAD or IAH that makes me feel more like I'm in the 3rd World.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've flown out of IAD on a consistent basis since 1999, and I've never witnessed this behavior.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
I'm starting to wonder if Abner is seriously confused. He posted this upthread:

"Many moons ago, I mis-connected at IAD and went to this same (C-7) club for assistance with my return to LAX. A red headed lady in there went off big time on me when I asked if I could be routed back home on ANY plane or sets of planes that had F/C available for the upgrade that I had reserved for the flight that I missed. The answer given was, this in NOT Albertson's where you get coupons for buying a lot of potato chips. If you want something for nothing go to Albertsons and shop. We're putting you on the plane that we want you to travel on and that one is full in F/C." "These mileage awards are giving people something for nothing and we don't like it one bit!""

There isn't an Albertsons within a 800 miles of Dulles. The closest one would be in central Florida somewhere. I seriously doubt if a pmUA employee at Dulles would have been referencing Albertsons.
I lied!
The UC's @ IAD are wonderful and so are all the employee's that work there.
Nothing bad has ever happened to me at any UC.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So I got refused admission to the IAD United CLub....

I was wondering every time I am at the UC in ewr they demand a boarding pass along with my club card where at LAx the club card is enough
Any idea why they won't allow entry unless I show a boarding pass?
Old May 27, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ata-point.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-members.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...oing-intl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-resolved.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...k-chits-g.html

Etc ad nauseam.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I'll add my post to the group noting absence of such behavior. Not that that diminishes the issue OP experienced (it doesn't), but as a RCC/UC member for >10 years and as a 10 year 1K with IAD as my home airport for 4 of those years, I have never had a single issue with access or odd rules. Never once. A couple of times, the crowding at the C7 club led the door agent to suggest I go up to the International First lounge (surprise win!), but never anything like this.

I post only to frame the discussion, as bad as the incident might be, as an outlier.

Perhaps that C8 agent could turn her attention to the dog licking DJMURPHYNJ's shoes. or was that IAH....
Old May 27, 2013, 2:12 pm

Contractors do all of the heavy lifting at the IAD UCs--bar tending, serving and removing snacks and beverages, cleaning, arranging magazines, etc. The Matrons sit at their counters "interacting" with members. Must be pretty boring so the temptation to liven things up must be great.
Old May 27, 2013, 2:26 pm

I will never understand why agents makeup rules, there is just no rhyme nor reason for doing so.

I am positive that UA does NOT deduct funds from employee's paychecks for allowing in passengers who rightfully belong there (even if the club is crowded), likewise I am positive that UA does NOT remunerate employees for denying passengers access to the club who rightfully belong there, so what could be reasoning for an employee do so?
  1. Poor Training?
  2. Rouge Club Manager?
  3. Employees with Curmudgeonly Personalities?

There has to be a reason!

I have come across it myself and I scratch my head because for the life of me I cannot understand it, as I can see it there is no benefit to the employee for turning away a passenger who rightfully belongs there (especially if the PAX decided to further the issues the employee could end up in trouble).

Dan
Old May 27, 2013, 2:28 pm

UA could save a lot of money and provide a more welcoming environment at many of these clubs by simply installing card-reading turnstiles.
Old May 27, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by JetAway
UA could save a lot of money and provide a more welcoming environment at many of these clubs by simply installing card-reading turnstiles.
TK does this in IST -- it's pretty good, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.