Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

"There's too many of you to do a beverage service"

Old May 29, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Pre-departure beverage service is a published benefit of United First: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ght/first.aspx

I have found that pmCO crews are better about PDB and giving you a choice of beverage as it was always their airlines policy, while with the pmUA crews the practice was the water/OJ tray. Old habits die hard it seems.

SunLover
Old May 29, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by johnmont
As someone who has flown 120K for the last 6 years on UA (based out of ORD), I have a different perspective. I've found about the same percentage of pmCO and pmUA flight attendants to offer poor service. Or good service. Probably even depends up on the day I run into them.

In fact -- and I know it's blasphemy in this forum -- if you pushed me further its my perception that the pmCO crews have been more pleasant overall than the pmUA crews. Though I do agree with the previous post that the pmCO attendants do tend to disappear after the main service more than pmUA. Not that it matters for me cause I usually just try to sleep.

All this shows me is that there's no cut and dry rule about one crew being better than the other.
This has been my experience as well.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If people on the MP forum stopped mentioning Smisek and blaming the "other" half of the merger for all the issues they face when flying UA there would be no more UA forum. It's a great place to come to catch a whole bunch of people acting like spoiled kids who've had their favorite toy taken away
It really is amazing. It just goes on and on...and with all the flying that I've done in the last two years, I see none of the behaviors from either "side" that so many disgruntled pmUA folks rant about. It's verging on the bizarre.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnmont
All this shows me is that there's no cut and dry rule about one crew being better than the other.
This pretty well sums it up.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM,MARRIOTT Prem Plat Elite,HH Gold,HERTZ Prez Circle,SONNY's Lunch Card club
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Today on my flight to Seattle (which was delayed almost 2 hours), I was seated in First Class and asked for a Diet Coke after giving my coat. I was told "There's too many of you to do a beverage service" on a 737. She had plenty of time to talk with her colleague in the galley. Very pathetic.
That is just plain wrong. I see a lot of that on the MIA-DCA and the DCA-MIA sector on AA. I have complained but to no avail. This seems to be the trend with a lot of the senior attendants (I know I am going to take flak for this but let us call a spade a spade).
Old May 29, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by demkr
You definitely need to write this on your survey if you receive one and send in a complaint via Customer Care. Typical sCO attitude.
Really could stand to grow up if you're still making these comments. And maybe fact check yourself, if you want to play this silly game. Predeparture drinks were usual in CO domestic premerger, while usually my UA domestic firsts were just water or juice.

But can't we just have any discussion about UA's problems without that crap?

FTF
Old May 29, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
Another reason to get status. Fire her now. This is not the service mileage run folks are expecting.
I can assure you - having logged ~175,000 miles last year, I never once have done a mileage run.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
If you fly an airline based in Western Europe even twice you know that the airlines based in the USA have terrible service. Whether it's a matter of training, environment, union demands ... I don't know how the FAs look themselves in the mirror when they spend 50% of a flight chatting with each other. There is no work ethic there at all. Out of 600 flights in the last 30 years, I have encountered probably three dozen FAs who truly do a professional job. The rest of them are too busy yapping to do much more than the minimum, and I generally fly up front. There's no way that management is unaware of the problem but I'd like to know the reason that nothing is done about it.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
This pretty well sums it up.
+1
i just had outstanding service from two sCO IAH based FAs. i dont associate good or bad service with one segment of the combined airline, that comes down to the individual and the attitude they bring to their job.

now, technology (or lack thereof) on the other hand, i blame squarely on sCO
Old May 29, 2013, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SunLover
Pre-departure beverage service is a published benefit of United First: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ght/first.aspx

I have found that pmCO crews are better about PDB and giving you a choice of beverage as it was always their airlines policy, while with the pmUA crews the practice was the water/OJ tray. Old habits die hard it seems.

SunLover
I had the same experience recently. PmCO cabins twice gave PDB, pmUA was 2-3; the off time was LAX-NRT where only juice, sparkling were available because, 'the rest is still sealed by customs.'

A different pmUA flight I was told to step outside of the rear (777) galley becuase I'm not allowed to congregate... Now forgive my English but how does 1 person congregate? Of course the brilliant woman had me stand next to the bathroom line with 4 other people.

Not to give anyone a free pass the pmCO crews did disappear on 2-3 segments.

My observation: Things are just as screwey as they have been.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by judyserienagy
There is no work ethic there at all.
You said it, brother.

*stops writing that trip report or other work related activity in favor of a cat nap*
Old May 29, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by AADC10
This does not sound unusual and is probably within procedure. If the flight was already 2 hours late, they want to board as quickly as possible and serving pre-departure drinks in F on a 737 delays boarding because it blocks the aisle. The might do it on a 757 because it loads at door 2 and F passengers turn left and Y passengers turn right but 737s load at door 1 and everyone has to file past F. I assume they managed to serve drinks after takeoff.
That is a poor excuse and certainly NOT within procedure about if it is on a 737 and the flight is delay for 2 horus, FA don't need to serve PDB.

If the FA is willing to do it they can certainly do it, not to mention since this is a single aisle plane, it will always back up anyway for pax to stow their luggage in the overhead bins. The FA could just ask the next pax that step in the plane to wait for just a minute so that he/she can serve two pax at a time.

Remembered all FA are trained to do this kind of job in a small confined space ! They were even trained to serve in turblence, not unless the pilot tell them they must be seated !
Old May 30, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Milage Plus, Delta Skymiles, BA Executive Club
If the OP is complaining about not getting a PDD, I say get over it . However if the FA was rude or condescending when she told him no PDD Then by all means report her.

Pre-departure drinks are nice but certainly not essential to my enjoying a flight.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sfspec
If the OP is complaining about not getting a PDD, I say get over it . However if the FA was rude or condescending when she told him no PDD Then by all means report her.

Pre-departure drinks are nice but certainly not essential to my enjoying a flight.
Your forgetting one important thing: You're supposed to be offered a PDB. If you don't want one fine but I most likely do.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wanymayold
With bad apple like this, I am thinking of sending form to praise the FA on my recent MRY-SFO.
For a 77 miles flight, the FA wrote down everyone's choice of beverage before take off and delivered all the drinks.
You got a beverage MRY-SFO? I used to fly that all the time and can't recall ever getting a drink.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.