Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA at the bottom in the 2013 JD Power Rankings.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA at the bottom in the 2013 JD Power Rankings.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I have never in my entire life taken a flight with AS that was on time. My AS miles expired because I could not use them. I would choose UA ahead of them.
140,000 miles for R/T CX F SFO - HKG is a pretty attractive use of AS miles...
Old May 15, 2013, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
You have to keep in mind that the responders were, for the most part, kettles. FFs may very well have a different view.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
I looked into previous rankings and I found this:

CO- 4th best airline topped by Alaska, Air Canada and Delta
UA- 2nd worst only above US

CO - 3rd best airline topped by Alaska and Air Canada

CO - 2nd best airline topped by Alaska

Can someone explain me why it is CO management the reason why UA is doing so bad if the previous years it has held the same position in the ranking as this year?
+1

I'm SFO based and switched to Continental after being elite with UA for many years because I just got sick and tired of the "can't do" attitude. Really liked Continental. Much friendlier and the CS reps always managed to change my tickets without charging fees or higher fares. Then the merger, and I'm right back from where I fled. Sigh. The Continental bashing on this forum is, imo, totally unfounded.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I reluctantly agree. As much as UA deserves to be bashed, JD Power is a pretty pathetic organization for ranking almost anything.
+1. In the words of JD Power themselves:; "Awards and performance ranking are based on numerical scores, and not necessarily on statistical significance."

A useless survey.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Really liked Continental. Much friendlier and the CS reps always managed to change my tickets without charging fees or higher fares.
Re bolded (bolding mine), I call BS.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
And Enterprise is listed as the winner of Car rental ratings.

That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about these ranking... Let's move on...
At Enterprise, you get what you pay for. The last time I rented Hertz, I reserved and paid for a full size, they told me I had to wait several hours for my full size, so I took the compact. AT Hertz, you get less than you pay for.

I did not fly much United, but in in the final 8 years CO was pretty bad, and that is from a CO million miler. I stopped flying CO for about 9 years when Larry Kellner told me that he was a million miler on American, but would not give the recognition to the CO flyers.

On my last 4 1/2 hour UA flight they had three Jim Beam Blacks because someone drank one on the previous flight. I was lucky enough to get one pre-flight, and one in-flight. Then on this 60% full flight, they ran out of all whiskey. They had the cheap Canyon Road wine. Delta did better when it was in bankruptcy.

But I would have to say, the cabin crew was excellent on all four flights.

Last edited by BF263533; May 16, 2013 at 1:15 am
Old May 16, 2013, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 5khours
+1. In the words of JD Power themselves:; "Awards and performance ranking are based on numerical scores, and not necessarily on statistical significance."

A useless survey.
+1 In fact, a lot of travelers choose airlines not based on this kind of surveys, but:

- Fees
- FFPs
- Network
- Price
- Choices

Seriously, even the products which Consumer Report graded "Not Recommended", there are still people buying those products.

So I wouldn't pay a lot of attention on the score and ranking, but the actual experience instead.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I have never in my entire life taken a flight with AS that was on time. My AS miles expired because I could not use them. I would choose UA ahead of them.
Next time you're about to lose miles because of expiration, call me. Seriously? Never took a AS flight that departed on time? Ever?

I understand the desire to stand up for UA but geez.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Next time you're about to lose miles because of expiration, call me. Seriously? Never took a AS flight that departed on time? Ever?

You may not be that familiar with mitchmu - he is anything but a stand-up guy for all things UA, trust us
Old May 16, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by garykung
Seriously, even the products which Consumer Report graded "Not Recommended", there are still people buying those products.
because i think we have to. i don't have numbers, but recently i'm seeing a lot of articles talking about the economy recovering and travelers (both business and leisure) increasing. meanwhile i also see threads talking about fleet sizes (not just UA, but industry wide and not just number of planes, but size of planes). as a casual observer it would lead me to think that we kind of have to buy whatever's around. more travelers, less seats. i do notice when i book nowadays i'm always finding my planes fuller than i did, say, five years ago. it's all anecdotal, but that's just the sense i'm getting. is it obnoxious UA's service has gone down? of course it is. but i still have to get to where i'm going.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
because i think we have to. i don't have numbers, but recently i'm seeing a lot of articles talking about the economy recovering and travelers (both business and leisure) increasing. meanwhile i also see threads talking about fleet sizes (not just UA, but industry wide and not just number of planes, but size of planes). as a casual observer it would lead me to think that we kind of have to buy whatever's around. more travelers, less seats. i do notice when i book nowadays i'm always finding my planes fuller than i did, say, five years ago. it's all anecdotal, but that's just the sense i'm getting. is it obnoxious UA's service has gone down? of course it is. but i still have to get to where i'm going.
True but I find myself severely cutting discretionary travel due to hassles and cost. It is not fun anymore.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by fireworksboy

Seriously. Read my history. If you think I am a fan of the CO regime that took over UA, you are seriously astray in that judgement.

Not one AS flight on time. Ever.

And, don't get me started on the "prayer service" included with each seat.

Granted, my AS experience is > 10 years ago. Maybe they got better?

I stopped flying them after they killed 200 or so people to save money on maintanance and the investigation of that incident uncovered widespread lying and non-compliance with safety regulations.

Killing passengers to line your pockets with cash by not performing required maintanence and falsifying maintanance records is a line that I will not cross.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Seriously. Read my history. If you think I am a fan of the CO regime that took over UA, you are seriously astray in that judgement.

Not one AS flight on time. Ever.

And, don't get me started on the "prayer service" included with each seat.

Granted, my AS experience is > 10 years ago.
This alone should stop you from making a judgment about AS now. This isn't 2003. They have an excellent on time rate.

And if prayer cards offend you ,well, not much we can do about anti-religious bigotry.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Granted, my AS experience is > 10 years ago. Maybe they got better?
Clearly they have. I flew them to Seattle two weeks back and as an AA elite they let me board with their top-tier elites, and they also allow free checked baggage and preferred seating. Didn't have those benefits a year ago. I believe they offer similar perks to Delta top-tier elites. Departed on time to SEA but did have a 20 min delay on the way home due to late arriving aircraft. If I wasn't an AA flyer they'd probably be my elite program of choice. I fly them a couple times a year to Seattle.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:03 am

So this question is directed mostly towards the PMUAers on this forum. Let's say the merger between CO & UA never happened both airlines were still stand alone carriers etc etc etc and so on. If JD Power had award PMUA best airline, on time performance etc etc etc would you guys still say this survey is flawed? Or would you praise them because they put PMUA at the top of the list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.