Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA at the bottom in the 2013 JD Power Rankings.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA at the bottom in the 2013 JD Power Rankings.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spin88
hmmm, I said "p.s. I think this is about right, although UA has stated it is going to increase fee income, so perhaps next year it will edge out US...."

Perhaps the subtlety of my comment was lost on both of you (or you did not read the rankings).... Since UA is going to increase its fee income, perhaps next year they will edge out US for the BOTTOM of the rankings... [UA got a 3 for fees this year, US got a 2, lower being worse]

Given that Parker has made a big point of saying that they are going to improve service, and US has been increasing service levels, and UA is cutting both, I actually think its probably a given that UA will lap US in the bad bad airline department next year.
You wrote "UA at the bottom". Not sure how else one can interpret that. Of course I read the rankings, hence my comment.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by aacharya
You wrote "UA at the bottom". Not sure how else one can interpret that. Of course I read the rankings, hence my comment.
They were at the bottom (2 stars), I also posted the actual raw numbers (post 4), with a comment about how discounters may intrinsically do better.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They were at the bottom (2 stars), I also posted the actual raw numbers (post 4), with a comment about how discounters may intrinsically do better.
You do realize that was sorted alphabetically after the winner? Sure you did.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
You do realize that was sorted alphabetically after the winner? Sure you did.
I feel a little like Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke here.... But I'll give one more try....

If you look at the link I posted, each airline got an overall score AND individual scores for each area. The lowest of those overall rankings were UA and US for the majors, but US had a lower ranking for "fees" than did UA. Then the overall scores are posted on the page found on the link inside of the article, which is where the numbers I posted came from. The only difference in US and UA AT THE BOTTOM in absolute rankings is in the fees category. Since UA is getting rid of free IFE on the 320s, and adding a fee for streaming it, UA will I assume, jump past US at the bottom next year.

Nothing I said had to do with position on the list, which is not by ranking.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel a little like Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke here.... But I'll give one more try....

If you look at the link I posted, each airline got an overall score AND individual scores for each area. The lowest of those overall rankings were UA and US for the majors, but US had a lower ranking for "fees" than did UA. Then the overall scores are posted on the page found on the link inside of the article, which is where the numbers I posted came from. The only difference in US and UA AT THE BOTTOM in absolute rankings is in the fees category. Since UA is getting rid of free IFE on the 320s, and adding a fee for streaming it, UA will I assume, jump past US at the bottom next year.

Nothing I said had to do with position on the list, which is not by ranking.
Nice backtracking...and a horrible analogy. I see your valid points.......now. Doesn't excuse your initial thread title and post including the link to a badly misleading table. Your other threads are exemplary with respect to analysis and detail. This one wasn't up to par...
Old May 15, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Now kiss.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:11 pm

http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-rati...tudy/index.htm

Let the defense and attacks begin.

p.s. I think this is about right, although UA has stated it is going to increase fee income, so perhaps next year it will edge out US....
These ratings seem accurate to me.

Except that I do not understand Alaska. I think they are awful.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Enterprise is listed as the winner of Car rental ratings.

That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about these ranking... Let's move on...
Old May 15, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
And Enterprise is listed as the winner of Car rental ratings.

That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about these ranking... Let's move on...
I reluctantly agree. As much as UA deserves to be bashed, JD Power is a pretty pathetic organization for ranking almost anything.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Except that I do not understand Alaska. I think they are awful.
They are on time, their FAs/GAs are nice, their FF program is good (you can redeem your miles on almost any airline), and you get upgrade rates that are very very good as an MVP Gold. Food in F is fine, better than UA for sure.

They are only a domestic airline, but do what they do well, and have a good FF program (unlike VX and DL).

I've flown them at least 10 times this year, never a problem.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I looked into previous rankings and I found this:

CO- 4th best airline topped by Alaska, Air Canada and Delta
UA- 2nd worst only above US

CO - 3rd best airline topped by Alaska and Air Canada

CO - 2nd best airline topped by Alaska

Can someone explain me why it is CO management the reason why UA is doing so bad if the previous years it has held the same position in the ranking as this year?

http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...tion-study.htm
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?id=2011075
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?id=2010092
Old May 15, 2013, 9:57 pm

They are on time, their FAs/GAs are nice, their FF program is good (you can redeem your miles on almost any airline), and you get upgrade rates that are very very good as an MVP Gold. Food in F is fine, better than UA for sure.

They are only a domestic airline, but do what they do well, and have a good FF program (unlike VX and DL).

I've flown them at least 10 times this year, never a problem.
I have never in my entire life taken a flight with AS that was on time. My AS miles expired because I could not use them. I would choose UA ahead of them.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
I looked into previous rankings and I found this:

CO- 4th best airline topped by Alaska, Air Canada and Delta

CO - 3rd best airline topped by Alaska and Air Canada

CO - 2nd best airline topped by Alaska

Can someone explain me why it is CO management the reason why UA is doing so bad if the previous years it has held the same position in the ranking as this year?

http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...tion-study.htm
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?id=2011075
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?id=2010092
The policies and procedures (and systems) they had in place for CO worked well for COs size and fleet. They tried to apply similar/same policies to UA (which is a much bigger beast) and now we know the result.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Result as I see it is the same as previous years, not better nor worse (for this particular ranking).
Old May 15, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
The policies and procedures (and systems) they had in place for CO worked well for COs size and fleet. They tried to apply similar/same policies to UA (which is a much bigger beast) and now we know the result.
Same reason the LCCs do so well - expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.