Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDS747
I would have to agree... I've flown a couple of blue A320's and just flew a grey one the other day. It's really hard to tell without flying them back to back but I think the blue ones are quite a bit more comfortable. If nothing else they are visually much more pleasing to the eye! The blue ones look really nice and new. The grey ones look bland and dated.
The grey ones were first (Airbii), looks like an off the rack model.

The blue ones were then introduced (37s) and were said to be (design-wise) unique to UA. And someone said they're now covering the Airbii greys with the blues, or something like that.

Given how awful the Airbii slims are, hoping the blue ones are truly better.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
I just flew in coach from SFO to IAD on an A320 with new seats and thought about getting off the plane and trying for another flight with different seats. It's the first time I've experienced them. What a very bad idea.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:13 am

I have an upcoming trip CLE->SFO and both the outbound flight and the return are A320s with 38 row config - so I assume its the slimline seats again. I had the worst flight experience ever the last time I flew with these - very anxious about this next trip. Its about a 5 hour trip.

Anyone aware of some product or wedge or something to make the seats more comfortable? I don't know what the specific issue is, but I constantly feel like I'm sliding off the seat. Last time I spent first hour or so OK, next two hours I had my knees locked and legs pushing against the seat in front of me to keep from sliding off/slouching. Final two hours of the flight I just basically stood in the isle, much more comfortable than sitting.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by djc6
I have an upcoming trip CLE->SFO and both the outbound flight and the return are A320s with 38 row config - so I assume its the slimline seats again. I had the worst flight experience ever the last time I flew with these - very anxious about this next trip. Its about a 5 hour trip.

Anyone aware of some product or wedge or something to make the seats more comfortable? I don't know what the specific issue is, but I constantly feel like I'm sliding off the seat. Last time I spent first hour or so OK, next two hours I had my knees locked and legs pushing against the seat in front of me to keep from sliding off/slouching. Final two hours of the flight I just basically stood in the isle, much more comfortable than sitting.
If you read a few posts up, they are changing from the grey slimlines to the blue ones. It seems to offer a bit more padding but I haven't experienced those seats yet.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by edcho
If you read a few posts up, they are changing from the grey slimlines to the blue ones. It seems to offer a bit more padding but I haven't experienced those seats yet.
Actually all they are doing is reupholstering the Airbus slimline seats with the same seat covers that are found on the 737 slimline seats. The Airbus slimline seats will remain recaros.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Actually all they are doing is reupholstering the Airbus slimline seats with the same seat covers that are found on the 737 slimline seats. The Airbus slimline seats will remain recaros.
I don't think so. I got the blue ones on a flight last month, and they weren't that bad. They seemed to be a bit higher off the ground and had quite a bit more padding. For a 4 hour flight, I was fine.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by catocony
I don't think so. I got the blue ones on a flight last month, and they weren't that bad. They seemed to be a bit higher off the ground and had quite a bit more padding. For a 4 hour flight, I was fine.
They haven't adjusted the seat height but I do agree that the blue covers have a little more padding under them.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
They feel different to me, is that just my imagination? That said, neither one is comfortable for longer flights. It's the one thing I mention consistently on every post-flight survey when I've had the slimline seats.

Maybe I should include a picture...I could see how certain seats would be uncomfortable for very large or very short people, but I'm about as average as you can get!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by catocony
I think so the Airbus slimlines are still recaros. All they are doing is reupholstering the recaros with the signature blue covers found on the 737 B/E aerospace slimlines.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yep. No change to seat hardware for the 'slimmed' Airbii. Just new seat covers which I am quite sure are better-padded.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Middle Seat article on slimlines

http://online.wsj.com/articles/skinn...nes-1414602406

Good article - this is the biggest load of crap though. Don't insult us United

United customer surveys show lower scores for new slim seats in both Airbus and Boeing planes. But once the leather in the seats gets broken in and loosens up after 12 weeks or more, Mr. Johnson says, “the net satisfaction score is basically the same.”
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hey, the article also provides you an opportunity for you to say something positive about UA:

...Boeing 777-200s are already being expanded from 247 seats up to 289 seats. One big change on the 777: American is installing 10 seats across each coach row, up from nine. That shrinks the width of each seat to 17 inches, down from 18 and 18.5 inches. Emirates, Air France , Air Canada , Air New Zealand and others have all made that change; Delta and United so far have refused, deeming 17 inches too tight for very long trips overseas.....
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Hey, the article also provides you an opportunity for you to say something positive about UA:

...Boeing 777-200s are already being expanded from 247 seats up to 289 seats. One big change on the 777: American is installing 10 seats across each coach row, up from nine. That shrinks the width of each seat to 17 inches, down from 18 and 18.5 inches. Emirates, Air France , Air Canada , Air New Zealand and others have all made that change; Delta and United so far have refused, deeming 17 inches too tight for very long trips overseas.....
As mentioned by mduell in another thread, that is so NOT true for the United 787s.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
http://online.wsj.com/articles/skinn...nes-1414602406

Good article - this is the biggest load of crap though. Don't insult us United

United customer surveys show lower scores for new slim seats in both Airbus and Boeing planes. But once the leather in the seats gets broken in and loosens up after 12 weeks or more, Mr. Johnson says, “the net satisfaction score is basically the same.”
I've been on a few slimlines that have been on that aircraft (Airbus) for 6 months or more and I disagree with Mr. Johnson.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I think I'll finally have a chance to try the A320 slimline seats in December on LAX-BOS. Looking forward to it after all the controversy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.