Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Article: Are passengers abandoning United Airlines?

Article: Are passengers abandoning United Airlines?

Old May 9, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
This would indicate that UA is offering some of the lowest fares in the industry - I just don't see that at the moment. UA charges a significant premium for the convenient flights between major cities where it has a monopoly or at least limited competition. They are doing this on a much bigger scale than they were before - it's like the old CO strategy but applied to many more city pairs.

There are many things wrong with UA, but selling seats "at or near cost" isn't one of them that I've experienced. Incidental revenue like you describe is still very much incidental, even if it's growing rapidly. It hasn't had a dramatic change on the UA business model.
That's my experience as well - we have ua as preferred carrier with supposedly discounted pricing and I still see cheaper fares on other carriers...
Old May 10, 2013, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
That's my experience as well - we have ua as preferred carrier with supposedly discounted pricing and I still see cheaper fares on other carriers...

+2 same here. Corporate contract with pref in our booking system alongside DL and AA. On our man city pairs very competitive but typically elsewhere higher. I wonder if its partially that UA seems have the rev model set up so they are pushing higher fares earlier than others are, eg at 7 days out they are competitive but inside of 5 DL and AA come in lower. A limited sample no doubt, but it always strikes me.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Isn't the tone of that article just a bit different?
Not disputing the fact that the tone of the article is different, but two significant (and related) points:

(a) It's not the Atlanta Business Journal, it's the Dayton, OH Business Journal
(b) DL is presumably loved by the city, due to the following (per the article):

Delta Air Lines was the highest volume carrier at Dayton with more than 30,000 boardings for the most recent monthly numbers.
Now if you look at the press in Atlanta you'll find some of the same stories, but you generally do get more critical coverage of home-town airlines from home-town news sources.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world

Now if you look at the press in Atlanta you'll find some of the same stories, but you generally do get more critical coverage of home-town airlines from home-town news sources.
True. Look at the way Boeing gets bashed by the hometown press.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.