Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get receipt showing original fare class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM

I just purchased a ticket in M fare so that I could get instant upgrade. But the receipt shows PN/First Class under fare. I need to submit a receipt that shows Economy in order to get reimbursed. Is there a way to get a receipt that shows the original booking fare designation??
Old May 8, 2013, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Not sure about the original receipt, but is the original class/fare still available? If so, book it, get the receipt, upgrade, and then cancel the original if it's within 24 hours.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Not sure about the original receipt, but is the original class/fare still available? If so, book it, get the receipt, upgrade, and then cancel the original if it's within 24 hours.

LOL. Yes, this was an alternative I was thinking of, but I was hoping to avoid anything that might even give the appearance of impropriety. Odd that UA would not keep my original M fare designation somewhere in the record. Surely I am not the first to have an issues with getting a company to reimburse an upgraded ticket.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
A couple options:

1. Cancel what you have. Re-buy it but do NOT process the instant-up. Print the receipt and then process the instant-up.

2. Get an airport agent to print the receipt from behind the counter. The kiosk ones will show F. The behind the counter ones will as well, but will show the fare basis/fare construction which you can highlight.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA G
If all else fails, Photoshop it.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
anyone even considering such an action should get canned.

Originally Posted by channa
... Re-buy it but do NOT process the instant-up. .....
this is key and this situation is a key reason the instant upgrade is not automatic.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
anyone even considering such an action should get canned.
Why? If he accurate documents the M fare class he purchased, what's the problem?
Old May 8, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why? If he accurate documents the M fare class he purchased, what's the problem?
if you have to ask .... modifying documents is ethically and legally wrong even if it supports a "correct" position. When you submit a document for a TER, you are representing this as the document you received. A far preferable appraoch would be to provide supporting statement explaining what happen. Anyone who would forge a document leaves you wondering what they have pulled in the past -- when might they cross the line or what they have hid previously.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:46 pm

You didn't get an email with the initial receipt? That's what's happened to me the few times this has happened. So my itinerary has the PN fare code but I have the old receipt in my email.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by j1j2j38
You didn't get an email with the initial receipt? That's what's happened to me the few times this has happened. So my itinerary has the PN fare code but I have the old receipt in my email.
OP did Instant Upgrade at booking, so was upgraded before the receipt was e-mail. Hence the suggestions to wait to do the instant Upgrade until after the receipt was sent.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
UA should be able to provide the original receipt by email with a phone call to 1K. whether or not you will actually receive the email is another story.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1
UA should be able to provide the original receipt by email with a phone call to 1K. whether or not you will actually receive the email is another story.
while UA may be able to provide a receipt with the purchased fare class, the key point of this thread is the "original" receipt was post-upgrade -- if you do a Instant Upgrade at booking, there never was an receipt pre-upgrade.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
If that is the lowest available fare, explain the situation on your expenses. It is what it is. If you paid more against company policy, well then it's likely a problem, but not one that others should spend a lot of time helping you remedy.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I was thinking the same of same ticket and then cancelling. I am surprised though that the view receipt shows the PN instead of M. For my tickets booked in M through a travel agent, I will upgrade at times before it is even ticketed and it M is maintained on the receipt.

I would go the route of same ticket booked and cancelled vs a photoshop ticketed. Absolute worse case you have both tickets at the exact same price so should be a straightforward reasoning.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:36 pm

Did you read the part about "impropriety" ? ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.