Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is GlobalFirst worth a reposition (over BusinessFirst)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist

Hi all,

I've got a pair of F seats on an award ticket in October (my honeymoon), and my first outbound segment (EWR-FRA) was originally booked in UA GF on a 3 class B772. I just noticed that UA changed the equipment to a 2 class B764 and dropped me into BF.

I haven't flown either BF or GF. I've heard the BF is still pretty decent, but is it worth trying to reposition (as part of the award ticket) to IAD to get back on a B772 in GF?

Thanks,
Old May 8, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: UA Plat; SPG Gold
Although I've never flown GF with a companion, I would probably prefer flying BF direct since it is a bit more fun/convenient for chatting, especially if it's your first BF experience.
Old May 8, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
GF > BF as the seat is nicer and the service is generally better with the 8GF cabin, but IMO for a ~7 hour redeye it is not worth the reposition hassle. If it was Asia and a 14 hour flight I might seriously consider it. One small plus would be experiencing the IFL at IAD.

I understand your desire to fly the 'best' cabin UA has to offer for your honeymoon - but whatever you decide you should keep an eye out for LH F reward space opening up about 10 days before departure for an overall better experience.

SunLover
Old May 8, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Yeah I was walking through the cabin and while they have the room they seem like they are for the isolated quiet Businessman and not BF which was legit when I was talking to some MotoGP rider forgot his name.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry

I'm with SunLover. GF is worth it for Asia or the Middle East, but hardly worth the hassle to EU when a lot of people prefer skipping food and booze in order to sleep.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:12 am

Stick with the nonstop and ask for a refund of the difference in miles. This BizFirst flight is less than the Global First flight.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
wait for LH to open up at T-14 (either from EWR or JFK)

Change for free since you were downgraded.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Is your final destination FRA? If not - between EWR/JFK and FRA/MUC, you should have a good chance of F seats opening up on one of the ~5-6 daily flight options.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Stick with the nonstop and ask for a refund of the difference in miles. This BizFirst flight is less than the Global First flight.
I agree. The last thing you want at the beginning of your honeymoon is being stuck somewhere due to a connection.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
The best option would be to reposition into LH F. If you have time to waste, I'd rebook into:

JFK-LAX on UA p.s.
LAX-FRA on LH F on 748i
Old May 8, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by burlax
The best option would be to reposition into LH F. If you have time to waste, I'd rebook into:

JFK-LAX on UA p.s.
LAX-FRA on LH F on 748i
While that would be the preferred routing for those wanting to go the long way, cant make that change until 2 weeks in advance of travel if LH releases space to partners. It would be a waste to fly 6 hours out of the way and not have the space open up
Old May 8, 2013, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by burlax

JFK-LAX on UA p.s.
LAX-FRA on LH F on 748i
Isn't the 748i also on LH IAD-FRA ? That's a much shorter reposition (but in dreaded RJ)
Old May 8, 2013, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by 787fan
Isn't the 748i also on LH IAD-FRA ? That's a much shorter reposition (but in dreaded RJ)
If the OP can get on 748i on IAD-FRA, that's even better. No need to fly in RJ if they doesn't want to - they can rent a car / book a limo from NYC to DC. Also, flying in LH F means SEN lounge in IAD and the arrival F lounge in FRA.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I had the same exact schedule change (EWR-FRA pmUA 777 to pmCO 764) ... I called and was placed into GF on the exact flights I recited to the agent ... ultimately back-tracked to another hub.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for everyone's quick input (another reason why I love this community!).

This is indeed just the first leg on our way over to BKK (with 1 night in ICN):
EWR-FRA (UA F...well now "BusinessFirst")
FRA-ICN (OZ F)
ICN-BKK (TG J)

Since the rest of our itinerary is in F, I doubt they'd be willing to give me a refund of any miles, but I'll ask. Also good tip (rankourabu) about asking to waive the close-in fees when changing to LH F...hopefully I'll be able to leverage that (but if I end up paying close-in fees to change to LH, so be it ;-)

Thanks again,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.