Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unused award ticket. Re-depositing only a portion of the miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott

I had an international one-way award ticket that cost me 32.5k miles. I was unable to take the trip so I cancelled. I was given the option to use the miles within one year or re-depost the miles. A fee applied to both instances. I did not re-deposit the miles and instead paid a $75 fee for a new ticket and a different destination. However, the new ticket was only 12.5k miles. What happens to the other 20k miles? Do they automatically go back into my account without further fees? Thanks is advance.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
While on the surface it may look like you're re-depositing only a partial amount, what really happens is you have to re-deposit the entire amount and then redeem a new ticket in the new award category.

If you want to avoid fees, do a MR to get to Platinum and then your fees are waived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.