Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting notified about double-mile promotions on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

How does one find out about United's double-mile promotions? My friend who flies American says there's a secret email list she signed up for; I can't figure out from United's website how to sign up for such a list.

Here's what I've tried:

Thanks for any help!
      Old May 7, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
      There are route-specific double-mile promos. Usually, when a high profile/competitive new route is announced. Right now, there's one for SFO-CDG.

You can view all of them here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=A11882
      Old May 7, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
      The "United News & Deals" is what you are looking for so you're already signed up for it.

They really haven't had many this year and most they've had were either targeted, or you needed to buy a business class or above ticket to get the double miles.

Last edited by JDS747; May 8, 2013 at 10:44 am
      Old May 7, 2013, 12:45 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
      Red face

American's just generally far superior when it comes to communicating with its customers
      Old May 7, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
      In your account, go to "Deals & Offers" and then click on the "Airline" tab. You'll see the ones for which you are targeted. You can just click on those. I see a couple in my account right now (Hong Kong to Guam, for example).

My experience post-3/3 is that I almost never receive emails now, regardless of my subscription settings, so have to check there.

Also, many of the promos are targeted so even if you read about them on FT and manually enter the promo code the website won't let you successfully register.
      Old May 7, 2013, 1:48 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
      there are no such customer friendly offers on UA, so you haven't missed them, don't worry.
      Old May 7, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1
      there are no such customer friendly offers on UA, so you haven't missed them, don't worry.
      That's my experience. As soon as CO took over UA, I stopped getting offers to fly on UA. I only get offers to buy useless crap from partners.
      Old May 7, 2013, 2:00 pm
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by abaheti
      In your account, go to "Deals & Offers" and then click on the "Airline" tab. You'll see the ones for which you are targeted. You can just click on those. I see a couple in my account right now (Hong Kong to Guam, for example).
      Thanks -- I see that one, too. It says "double award miles," though, and the kinds of promotions that my friend on American gets are double EQM. Same with the SFO-CDG offer. Does United just not do that kind of promotion?
      Old May 7, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
      They did several years back, but it's been a while since UA has done a double EQM promo. Remember that AA is coming out of bankruptcy and just announced a merger with US. This is a critical time for them to solidify their customer base. A double EQM promo allows them to do that, and to build goodwill with their most frequent customers.
      Old May 7, 2013, 2:10 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
      Originally Posted by n0r1
      Thanks -- I see that one, too. It says "double award miles," though, and the kinds of promotions that my friend on American gets are double EQM. Same with the SFO-CDG offer. Does United just not do that kind of promotion?
      It's not just promotions - it's having an ongoing dialogue. UA isn't really trying in this regard anymore on a mass level (excluding the UAI - that's much more niche).
      Old May 7, 2013, 2:16 pm
      Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
      I use this forum to alert me to any promos; the members here are very good at sharing them. I can promise that if UA offered any sort of non-targeted PQM offer; there would be dozens of posts on that topic within an hour.
      Old May 7, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
      I use this forum to alert me to any promos; the members here are very good at sharing them. I can promise that if UA offered any sort of non-targeted PQM offer; there would be dozens of posts on that topic within an hour.
      I discovered the SFO-CDG promotion from this thread.

Odd that I live in SFO and UA never bothered to tell me about it.

In contrast, LH sends glossy mailings to me encouraging me to check out their F product, and I've got no status whatsoever with them.

Good deal, CDG, but timeframe is really narrow. There seems to be a pattern toward much tighter criteria to qualify for promotions now.
      Old May 7, 2013, 2:33 pm
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
      I use this forum to alert me to any promos; the members here are very good at sharing them.
      I'll probably take that tack, then. Thanks!
      Old May 7, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: CO Gold
      I got a double EQM promo sent to me Q4 2012.

Wasn't much use to me, as I had enough flights booked to make my status, but no enough to make Plat or above, even with DEQM.

Tried to see if it would apply to mrs lhrpitlhr but no dice.
      Old May 7, 2013, 9:09 pm

Continental used to have these offers all the time. Now it just seems to be partner offers in my email. Was it like that in pmUA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.