UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

Subscribe
If this has been posted here please remove this thread:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ghs-in/275603/
Wow. If that was really a letter from a United pilot, I can see why things aren't going well at United. An employee complaint line so that you can rat out your fellow co-workers?
Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.
Quote: Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.
Agree. I thought better of the Atlantic.
As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.
Quote: As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.
He was just pointing out a list of irritants for the customers, not everyone carries a cc!
Quote: Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.
Well, it was a "CO takeover."

But seriously - an in-house "rat out your fellow employee" process?
What's funny is that I think a lot of his gripes like the picture-taking restrictions and the Hindu meal (Asian Vegetarian=vegetarian, Hindu=non-vegetarian. Weird!) are pmUA policies. Didn't the no-cash rule on United pre-date the merger too?
ouch!
As a passenger on that flight in question from EWR-IST, I still to this day cannot believe how Matthew was kicked off that plane. I still tell the story of how absurd the whole incident was.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...omplaints.html

for some earlier discussion
While I don't disagree, I'm glad they took the time to share a note from a UA employee which reinforces a belief that many among the FF and MileagePlus Premier community have: that UA management (I use that word instead of "leadership" deliberately) is a bigger issue than the line employees.
Quote: As a passenger on that flight in question from EWR-IST, I still to this day cannot believe how Matthew was kicked off that plane. I still tell the story of how absurd the whole incident was.
How the heck did that happen?! Is there another thread about it (or is it buried in the Denver family thread somewhere)?

I also just read the blog entry from Matthew's blog. That FA sounds psycho!
Quote: While I don't disagree, I'm glad they took the time to share a note from a UA employee which reinforces a belief that many among the FF and MileagePlus Premier community have: that UA management (I use that word instead of "leadership" deliberately) is a bigger issue than the line employees.
That's the problem with the mentality in ANY union-centric organization (air, auto, you name it) - it's always about US versus THEM and both sides make it a zero-sum game.
Why?

What was wrong with his comment?

Quote: As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.