Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
From the pilot's letter: "They setup a human resource complaint system so that anyone can file formal complaints against their fellow workers for the littlest thing."
Originally Posted by halls120
And it should be. Setting up a workplace where it is easy for "co-workers" to inform on other "co-workers" isn't my idea of an environment that fosters a cohesive workforce.
I would like to see exactly how UA is defining this system before I pass judgement. I somehow doubt UA intends it as this "pilot" claims.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Anyone have any idea what the captain is talking about when he says "1. You cannot take pictures, I assume because of security, but they are paying to have the secondary barriers that protect the cockpit removed from our aircraft."

Specifically the bolded part. I thought current thinking was to increase cockpit security...
Old May 7, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by timfountain
Anyone have any idea what the captain is talking about when he says "1. You cannot take pictures, I assume because of security, but they are paying to have the secondary barriers that protect the cockpit removed from our aircraft."

Specifically the bolded part. I thought current thinking was to increase cockpit security...
It's an extra metal gate that goes up in case they need to open the cockpit door. Most airplanes don't have them (which is why they use galley carts instead) and I guess they are removing them from others:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/union-...225420734.html
Old May 7, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain

Villox provided the explanation. Adding to that, it was a big discussion topic here when it was announced.

It's one thing for CO to say that they don't want pilots to be protected by that security barrier, but what I found most astounding, and what the pilot may have been pointing to when he used the word "pay" is that this regime is incredibly cheap, cutting every cost and benefit they can cut. Against that backdrop, where every last fraction of a cent in expenses is being eliminated without much regard for the downstream implications of those cost cutting actions, why would they actually *spend money* to *remove* a security feature that other well qualified individuals determined was necessary?

I can understand that the are cheap and they don't want to pay for that security feature, but to actually spend money to remove it, when it would be cheaper to just leave it as-is, was a very strange decision.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Villox provided the explanation. Adding to that, it was a big discussion topic here when it was announced.

It's one thing for CO to say that they don't want pilots to be protected by that security barrier, but what I found most astounding, and what the pilot may have been pointing to when he used the word "pay" is that this regime is incredibly cheap, cutting every cost and benefit they can cut. Against that backdrop, where every last fraction of a cent in expenses is being eliminated without much regard for the downstream implications of those cost cutting actions, why would they actually *spend money* to *remove* a security feature that other well qualified individuals determined was necessary?

I can understand that the are cheap and they don't want to pay for that security feature, but to actually spend money to remove it, when it would be cheaper to just leave it as-is, was a very strange decision.
What's the cost of ongoing inspections, maintenance, and the overhead of different paperwork (if any) for the planes with the secondary barrier? Could be more over the remaining life of the plane than the one time cost of removing it.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.
Seems to me like the cause of the drama is the post-merger CO rules and practices, far more than the fact that employees involved were previously employed by pre-merger UA.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mitchmu
"I appreciate the care that went into this note, and want to take the chance to say again that when there is a troubled corporate culture, the tone is almost always set at the top."

I guess I'm not the only one who has this perception.
I would feel better about the article had the author gone to the trouble of interviewing a number of UA pilots, and possibly other staff, about the issues brought up by this pilot's letter. But it's just too darned easy to toss something up with a bit of editorial comment and pass it off as important, meaningful content... when it might only be one person's view amplified by the 'net.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; May 7, 2013 at 10:05 pm Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
the Hindu meal (Asian Vegetarian=vegetarian, Hindu=non-vegetarian. Weird!)
Hindu meal has always been non-vegetarian. It is more specifically no-beef, which is a strict no-no for hindus. Which at the end of the day is a pretty serious issue.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
I find it ridiculous that angry parents would cause a flight to be diverted. What a waste of time and money to make that decision over something as silly as a movie on IFE. If the parents became belligerent or violent, then I could understand landing the plane, however, why couldn't the purser simply turn off IFE and announce there is some sort of technical difficulty with the system? Yes, that would be unfair to the rest of the passengers wanting IFE. Is it no longer possible for people in power to make creative solutions to problems rather than going to extremes of following oversimplified rules and regulations? It seems like in US society, whenever something is disliked or out of the ordinary, a rule is made adversely affecting the rest of us who already use common sense. Or perhaps we are no longer trusted by those in management or privileged positions so that those under them can make decisions on their own.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capacutec
I find it ridiculous that angry parents would cause a flight to be diverted. What a waste of time and money to make that decision over something as silly as a movie on IFE. If the parents became belligerent or violent, then I could understand landing the plane, however, why couldn't the purser simply turn off IFE and announce there is some sort of technical difficulty with the system? Yes, that would be unfair to the rest of the passengers wanting IFE. Is it no longer possible for people in power to make creative solutions to problems rather than going to extremes of following oversimplified rules and regulations? It seems like in US society, whenever something is disliked or out of the ordinary, a rule is made adversely affecting the rest of us who already use common sense. Or perhaps we are no longer trusted by those in management or privileged positions so that those under them can make decisions on their own.
Have you even read the thread about the incident?
Old May 7, 2013, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
Originally Posted by capacutec
An eyewitness reported that the mother tried to push a TV screen back up. Since the screen movement is motorized, there was a risk that the mechanism would break.
Tampering with aircraft equipment -> passengers being removed. Novel idea, huh?
Old May 7, 2013, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
What's the cost of ongoing inspections, maintenance, and the overhead of different paperwork (if any) for the planes with the secondary barrier? Could be more over the remaining life of the plane than the one time cost of removing it.
Fair question.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:54 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by SittingUpFront
An eyewitness reported that the mother tried to push a TV screen back up. Since the screen movement is motorized, there was a risk that the mechanism would break.
Tampering with aircraft equipment -> passengers being removed. Novel idea, huh?
I heard something similar, that there was quite a fuss.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
The pilot gets paid well and can leave his job anytime. Welcome to the real world of employment Mr. Pilot. Shut up, do your job, and go home. I do not need to hear your personal rant on how bad your employment is. My local supermarket is hiring. Whining 101.
Haha. Just hope he never does his job to you.

This confirms what we've suspected all along, and helps keep me well clear of any United airplane.
Old May 8, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Funny sort of like the military...but I def feel for when those that are making decisions that are affecting those are throughout so disconnected from the deckplates that they do not know how their "ideas" affect those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.