Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Gold - miles vs. comfort

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Getting to Gold - miles vs. comfort

I'm currently a Silver member with about 9700 PQMs and 9.5 PQSs. With the travel that I'm planning for the remainder of the year, I should reach Silver again for 2014 (4-5 RTs from EWR to ATL, prob EWR to SLC and EWR to SFO, plus maybe one or two more).

I also have an opportunity to fly EWR to LHR, at least once in June, but mostly likely again in Q3 and Q4, paid for by my company. If I fly United for those routes, I have a good chance of getting to Gold. I'd be able to do Econ Plus, so at least I'd have a little extra legroom, and I'd be flying the 752s most likely.

The other option is to fly with someone like Virgin Atlantic, where I can do Premium Economy on A340s and 747s. (I'm flying with them at the end of this month to try it out).

The question is, what makes more sense? With Virgin, I get a few inches extra of pitch and width, most likely a better meal (though who knows), and a little more room on the a/c to move around (they have a bar). I'll accrue miles with Virgin, which means I'll have enough for probably a free economy ticket to Europe, or a few Business upgrades.

If I go with United, I could reach Gold for 2014, do economy plus (hopefully the exit row), go through TSA pre (at least in EWR), and there's always the possibility that I get an upgrade, though I don't know how likely that is.

Any thoughts? What would you do?
Old May 4, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If this was the difference between Silver and Gold, I'd suck it up and fly UA.
It's only 6-7 hours and you'll have an E+ seat.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by nyfirefly11
The question is, what makes more sense? With Virgin, I get a few inches extra of pitch and width, most likely a better meal (though who knows), and a little more room on the a/c to move around (they have a bar). I'll accrue miles with Virgin, which means I'll have enough for probably a free economy ticket to Europe, or a few Business upgrades.

If I go with United, I could reach Gold for 2014, do economy plus (hopefully the exit row), go through TSA pre (at least in EWR), and there's always the possibility that I get an upgrade, though I don't know how likely that is.

Any thoughts? What would you do?
Of course premium economy......
The PE on VX is totally different product than the E+ on UA....

---
If you will use the *G benefits and travel internationally, I would change my suggestion to UA G.

Last edited by pigx5; May 4, 2013 at 5:26 pm
Old May 4, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
I would suck it up and put up with E+ over the pond. When you reach Gold, that provides *Gold which is useful on *Alliance partners.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wildfan88
I would suck it up and put up with E+ over the pond. When you reach Gold, that provides *Gold which is useful on *Alliance partners.
Right.....forget about lounge access when traveling international and baggage allowance....
Old May 4, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pigx5
Right.....forget about lounge access when traveling international and baggage allowance....
And greater RDM earnings - ability to pick E+ at booking, etc.

There's no question for me - I'd stick it out on UA to get Gold for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, it's a tough call. I want Gold for 2014 (given my travel, I'm not sure I need *Gold) mainly for E+ and 48 hour upgrades. But PE on Virgin is definitely more comfortable.

For the flight I've already booked on Virgin, I'm able to actually accrue miles with Dividend Miles instead of Flying Club. I don't particularly want miles with US Airways, so I could transfer them to MP using Points.com, but I assume I wouldn't get any PQM credit?
Old May 4, 2013, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
TSA PreCheck is only for domestic itineraries, but your should be able to get it by getting GE which is a good idea in itself. Then your PreCheck eligibility would be independent of carrier or status and good for five years. It's also nice to get through immigration and customs very very quickly after an international trip.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Wait, how does Global Entry give you pre-check status no matter what carrier? I actually have it already. Can I fly JetBlue, for example, but still go through the pre-check line?
Old May 4, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
OP: I'm in almost the same situation. I'm silver most of the time because I used to always fly CX on my trips to Asia. This year, I am planning to hit gold and am flying UA on all my trips to Asia. The biggest benefits, in my opinion, are *A lounge access when flying internationally and E+ seats confirmed at booking.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:50 pm

Every single 1K and below has had to ride in the back to get status.
I would venture to guess that most MMer's did it before there was an E+, so if you want to get the bennies ya gotta do the bis's like everyone else has had to do. Spreading your itin's around different airlines defeats the purpose of the advantages of loyalty programs. As they say, "Ya can't have your cake and eat it too!", and as per the OP he knows that. Hoping for CPU's is a PITA sometimes also, particularly when you don't get one!
Old May 4, 2013, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

OK, so it sounds like I should keep my current flight on Virgin (non-refundable with a $275 change fee), but fly UA for the rest of my trips to get Gold.

Then the question is, do I earn Flying Club miles to use for a later flight with them or Virgin America, or do I earn with Dividend Miles then transfer those to UA?
Old May 4, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Wait, how does Global Entry give you pre-check status no matter what carrier? I actually have it already. Can I fly JetBlue, for example, but still go through the pre-check line?
With Global Entry membership, you get a "Trusted Traveler Number." Enter this into the correct field when you book a flight on any U.S. airline for a domestic flight.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Good to know - wish I knew that when I flew on JetBlue
Old May 4, 2013, 7:38 pm

OK, so it sounds like I should keep my current flight on Virgin (non-refundable with a $275 change fee), but fly UA for the rest of my trips to get Gold.

Then the question is, do I earn Flying Club miles to use for a later flight with them or Virgin America, or do I earn with Dividend Miles then transfer those to UA?
I don't think you can transfer to UA "cheaply."
If you earn Dividend Miles, you can buy miles with bonus offer (100% bonus) and redeem a C ticket to Asia for 90k miles before they join OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.