Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any reviews of UA6 SIN-IAH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GDaoV
Not sure if I agree here in regards to price. Looking at some random dates in August, UA is running around $2500 while SQ is $1700.
Could you post those dates? I've just did a quick search on ITA for SIN-IAH-SIN and cheapest I see on SQ is SIN $2646 for 6-10 nights leaving on Aug 28-29, the rest is >SIN $3200.

UA is SIN $2500-$2600 for departures on Mon-Thursday whole August.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
any reviews of UA6 SIN-IAH

NRT-SIN-NRT doesn't offer CPU

Yes both ways today is CO metal but will go back to UAUA later this year like it had been until just a few months ago.

As to price - SQ was actually cheaper for Y on my dates this summer, I bought SQ (even a tie I would give to SQ due to zero change fees and zero bag fees for 2 bags for any status)

As to comfort, don't care what the numbers say, SQ Y on a 77W is cramped versus UA in E+.

And I disagree re soft product being universally better - UA gives full cans of Coke, as many as i want. SQ gives a thimble. And I can go to the galley and get a fresh pot of Freshpoo made (well, I used to do this for SBUX). And they keep some limited snacks out too. And the UAUA crews are generally great.

Unfortunately, HQ is giving them less and less each passing year to work with.

The SQ desert ice creams even in Y are very good. UA used to give mid flight sherbet, that got zapped
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Great AC and BF is the best. PMCO aircraft, and HUGE improvement over what UA flew on this leg previously. IMO, BF seats better than UA GF. certainly better storage than the new UA Biz seats. How could you not like the 2-2-2 vs. 2-4-2? Heading home this week on that flight.

Originally Posted by warreng24
If book it as IAH-[NRT]-SIN (ie as a single segment). You will only get miles/credit for IAH-SIN (the "direct" mileage). If you book as two segments you will get the "actual" mileage (IAH-NRT and NRT-SIN).
Also as I discovered, if booked as "direct" your connecting seat does not show up, a glitch according to the GS rep and you have only one seat shown on the first leg. They split it and then both legs became seat selectable.

Current crew for both legs is IAH based, that will change to EWR based on the NRT-SIN leg shortly. Sad to hear it is going back to the UA 3 class later this year.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 30, 2013 at 3:24 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by gailwynand
SQ seat pitch in Y is 32 inches, more than UA E-. And recline is good. I have flown it several times, it is far from torture.

Does E+ on UA have more legroom? Sure. Is literally everything else about the inflight experience superior on SQ? Absolutely.
For me, I am not tall so I will pick more recline on SQ than more legroom on UA.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Paid ticket round trip, my own dime.

Why should I book it as separate segments?

I did look at the SQ option but it is longer and almost double the price of the UA route. This will be my yearly flight home with the family so I have four other tickets to purchase. I'm sure I will go on the SQ at least once if I can get a deal where it is within 1k price of the UA option but UA will probably be my usual route.
I don't care how good the airline is or what class. Anyone who would fly TWICE the amount of time for a better airline meal & seat needs to get his head examined. If your on your own dime there are plenty of other carriers you can fly across the pacific. While it will take a little longer as you must stop in LAX as well, it's not nearly the 24 hours the SQ flight thru DME would be. If your in Y however, UA's E+ is more comfortable then SQ's regular Y. You don't get an ice cream sandwich and the service is not comparable but I assume your goal is to get from A-B as quickly and as comfortably as the class your flying in allows. Pains me to say this but stick with UA in Y. Otherwise you can go with 1 stop thru LAX in C (I know it's being cancelled but pretty sure SQ still has non stop all C flight from LAX-SIN
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
What is the millage difference (...)?
About 40 miles...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by tnmlyger
About 40 miles...
And one is east bound, the other is West. The SQ flight takes over 2 hours longer from SIN-IAH & the UA flight is longer when it goes West as well.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by invisible
Could you post those dates? I've just did a quick search on ITA for SIN-IAH-SIN and cheapest I see on SQ is SIN $2646 for 6-10 nights leaving on Aug 28-29, the rest is >SIN $3200.

UA is SIN $2500-$2600 for departures on Mon-Thursday whole August.
Aug-08/19
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GDaoV
Aug-08/19
I really do not know where did you see that price. Please share, would be interesting to know.

On SQ's web site it shows... SIN $8512 in Economy for those dates

Hipmunk shows $2339 on UA metal for the same dates. ITA says that it is $2184 with two connections and $2403 with one connection on UA metal.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
Great AC and BF is the best. PMCO aircraft, and HUGE improvement over what UA flew on this leg previously. IMO, BF seats better than UA GF. certainly better storage than the new UA Biz seats. How could you not like the 2-2-2 vs. 2-4-2? Heading home this week on that flight.
Opinion varies on this issue by the way - plenty of shortfalls of the PMCO BF seat vs. PMUA
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by invisible
I really do not know where did you see that price. Please share, would be interesting to know.

On SQ's web site it shows... SIN $8512 in Economy for those dates

Hipmunk shows $2339 on UA metal for the same dates. ITA says that it is $2184 with two connections and $2403 with one connection on UA metal.
Today on SQ website versus last night:
Total:
USD 2,225.54
(Includes taxes and surcharges)

The 'Sweet Deals' tkts in Y are now gone; it was $1689.

Searching right now for Aug-08 depart from IAH to SIN then coming back on Aug-21, total+taxes = $1539.54, 'Sweet Deals' = 50% miles.

$1564 total+taxes if you want Flexi Saver with 100% miles
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:18 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=uastarflyer;20673875]NRT-SIN-NRT doesn't offer CPU

And I disagree re soft product being universally better - UA gives full cans of Coke, as many as i want. SQ gives a thimble. And I can go to the galley and get a fresh pot of Freshpoo made (well, I used to do this for SBUX). And they keep some limited snacks out too. And the UAUA crews are generally great.

Unfortunately, HQ is giving them less and less each passing year to work with.QUOTE]

Are you saying UA's soft product is universally better and SQ HQ's is giving less?

Current crew for both legs is IAH based, that will change to EWR based on the NRT-SIN leg shortly. Sad to hear it is going back to the UA 3 class later this year.
It is the issue of this route going back to 3 class and when?

So what I'm hearing is that UA's business class is preferred for this route compare to alt priced options of AA or MH?

Even though CX and SQ may have a little better business class product it is not enough to spend your own dime on to choose over UA business class.

Also can anyone tell me if NRT business class lounges have a kids play area?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:35 am

Also as I discovered, if booked as "direct" your connecting seat does not show up, a glitch according to the GS rep and you have only one seat shown on the first leg. They split it and then both legs became seat selectable.

When we on the sCO side started flying NRT - SIN it was an NTA/NLS based trip, then shortly after the 787 groundings it became an HTA/HOS trip. Now with the 787s soon to be going back to the skies NRT - SIN will once again become a NTA/NLS trip, while DEN - NRT will become an HTA/HOS trip. Same with LAX - NRT once the 787 flies that route again that will once again become a HTA/HOS trip.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I don't care how good the airline is or what class. Anyone who would fly TWICE the amount of time for a better airline meal & seat needs to get his head examined.
It's not twice as long, it's just under 25% longer duration. Block to block on UA is 19.75h, SQ is 24.6h.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by chiph
It's not twice as long, it's just under 25% longer duration. Block to block on UA is 19.75h, SQ is 24.6h.
And that's before the connection issues in NRT that others have mentioned. Not sure what the airport experience at DME is, though.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
NRT-SIN-NRT doesn't offer CPU

Unfortunately, HQ is giving them less and less each passing year to work with.
Yeah, the drink service on SQ is annoying when it comes to soft drinks. But I mainly drink water when onboard and UA is no better when it comes to that. For alcohol, though, they don't use minis and pour generously which is much appreciated. And I prefer Tiger to anything they serve up beer wise on UA.

You know you can use the call button on SQ to get extra beverages and snacks, right? The FA's actually respond to it very promptly and don't cop an attitude unlike UA. For snacks, they actually have sandwiches and such on most long flights - generally a greater selection than UA - and they will give you some on request. Check the menu. Sometimes they will bring around a snack basket once or twice too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.