Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 7:48 pm

Not sure where to place this but 600 F/As (300 from sCO and 300 from sUA) are being displaced to other bases beginning with the October 2014 bid month. 250 Houston and 50 Cleveland based sCO FAs must be moved out of the Houston & Cleveland bases to other sCO bases. The company announced there are vacancies in EWR, LAX, SFO, DEN & ORD for sCO FAs. sUA FAs out of LAX, DEN & ORD will be displaced to other sUA bases. Of course this numbers are subject to change between now and October.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:17 pm

That's pretty funny actually. Forcing people/families out of their home cities, only to replace them with other employees from the opposite subsidiary. Kind of sounds like a negotiating tactic to get a joint contract. If sUA and sCO didn't still exist, there wouldn't be shortages in those cities and employees wouldn't have to be displaced. I can understand the need for some Cleveland based FAs to be moved now, but the rest just seems ridiculous.

Employee ------ Friendly
Old May 13, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
That's pretty funny actually. Forcing people/families out of their home cities, only to replace them with other employees from the opposite subsidiary. Kind of sounds like a negotiating tactic to get a joint contract. If sUA and sCO didn't still exist, there wouldn't be shortages in those cities and employees wouldn't have to be displaced. I can understand the need for some Cleveland based FAs to be moved now, but the rest just seems ridiculous.

Employee ------ Friendly
The upside is on the sCO side we now have many more base options...the downside not enough FAs transferred to them to support the flying. The sCO bases in EWR, LAX, SFO, DEN & ORD are below targeted staffing levels, but have surpluses in IAH & CLE. Meanwhile over on the sUA side they are short in IAH, SFO & JFK, but have surpluses in LAX, DEN & ORD. The base imbalances are affecting flight attendant scheduling efficiency, the quality of pairings, ability to trip trade, line averages and overall quality of life.

Also a combined total of 900 FAs (300 from sCO, 600 from sUA) I wrote earlier it was 600 (300 from each side) will be relocated.

sCO:
250 moves out of IAH
50 moves out of CLE
25 moves into EWR
75 moves into LAX
125 moves into SFO
25 moves into DEN
50 moves into ORD

sUA:
200 moves out of LAX
200 moves out of DEN
200 moves out of ORD
100 moves into IAH
350 moves into JFK
150 moves into SFO

Of course these numbers are always subject to change between now and October.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:22 am

Well sure, it may make sense as things currently stand. But in the crazy world where all UA employees actually work together, there wouldn't be shortages anywhere because everyone would be on the same team. You wouldn't need to move x amount of FAs out of DEN into IAH, while simultaneously moving FAs from IAH into DEN, for example. If people want to transfer that's fine, but it shouldn't be forced upon anyone when there are already plenty in each spot, for the most part.

Just another example of the mess that is this airline.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:23 pm

I'll be happy when I see sCO and sUA crew integration.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:25 pm

A really good management would place the right aircrafts at the right stations to prevent this to happen. Now that 1200 people would be forced out of their home to be relocated. No wonder the morale of the new UA employees are at all time low. This is not the right time for the flying friendly campaign.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:56 am

" Cost of living"?! What is that?! Hahahahahahaha...... Based in SFO but can't afford to pay $3000/mo. rent? Move to Phoenix Vegas Oregon and start commuting! Average 60% of people don't live in the base. Or transfer to cheaper base.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:30 pm

Thumbs down

Here's more disappointing news the company announced the reduction of 1 FA position on the s-CAL 777s to align it with s-UAL 777s which are currently staffed to 11, while the s-CAL 777s are staffed to 12.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
UA F/As questions

Hi,

I have some questions concerning UA F/As.
In August, I flew the following flights: CDG-ORD, ORD-HNL, and SFO-CDG.

I was surprised to see that on the international flights, there were only female F/As.
Also, on the international flights, the F/As were quite young (the oldest one was maybe 45) whereas on the ORD-HNL flight, they were much older (the youngest one was maybe 50...).
Why these differences?
BTW, I found most F/As quite friendly
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Only female is a coincidence. There are many male FAs.

FAs bid on their flights. Seniority gets priority, which means the old FAs fly all of the "desirable" flights. So ORD-HNL is probably desirable (I mean, it is Hawaii), while SFO-CDG is not due to redeye, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Ok, thanks for the explanation
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Pure coincidence. Same with one flight I had where all 5 FAs were male, and both pilots were female.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
The count today on my SFO->LHR flight was (about) 8 female FA's - all over 50/60, and a couple (somewhat younger) male flight attendants. I think all were SFO-based. For some reason, the male FA's on this route tend to be more attentive, and often (but not always) the females are not as friendly. Service was good but not particularly warm..
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DWFI
Only female is a coincidence. There are many male FAs.

FAs bid on their flights. Seniority gets priority, which means the old FAs fly all of the "desirable" flights. So ORD-HNL is probably desirable (I mean, it is Hawaii), while SFO-CDG is not due to redeye, etc.
Not sure why SFO-CDG would be considered undesirable for a SFO-based FA. Good hours w/ a very pleasant place to overnight.

In any case, I had probably the best service in years on my SFO-CDG r.t. last month w/ a mixed crew. Heck, even the flights left on time. I looked back at the plane when I got off - it did have the UA livery.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Almost never is there an FA who looks under 50 on the SFO LHR route. The remaining London based ones I believe were inherited from Pan Am and the SF based ones seem even more venerable. There's one female one (who only seems to work First) who looks in her 70s or even early 80s who can barely walk the length of the cabin. On this front give me VS or BA any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.