Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Darlox
I think this might miss the whole point of AA's move. I strongly doubt they launched this as a strategic lure for HVFs. This is marketing. You create a perceived low-barrier to get something nice in return. You build a habit. "Well gee... I made 25k, but now my Boss wants me to fly to Sao Paulo, and if I go on vacation with my wife in October, I'll hit 40k and get this bonus!"
nail. head.

i think what's pretty clever here is that the mid-tier bonuses either don't really seem to impact the road warriors, or it's just a little more of what you'd get at the next tier you're reaching for anyway. 75K gets you one SWU? if i was reaching for EXP anyway it's just a nice addition to my six, or if i'm a 50K-100K flyer, a free international upgrade is just something that's nice to have. a couple AC passes or 500 mile stickers at 40K? well if i hit 50K i will get a bunch anyway, so it's a nice addition. and it probably won't affect the gold flyers to begin with since they probably don't fly enough to notice anyway.

but i think here's the other bit, and this goes to the overall discussion happening in multiple threads on this forum.

it's about branding.

we can argue day in day out about the merits of each individual benefit, whether GPU's are more or less useful than AA SWU's, CPU's vs the 500 mile stickers and their free upgrade system, and so on and so forth. but i think overall (and especially a noticeable uptick as of the last year or two) they're successfully taking a variety of small things and creating this image (successful or not) that they're trying and that they care. their twitter people responding quickly to aid in irrops. the fact that horton even made an apology video in addition to the frequent FB/twitter updates was a really smart PR move in my mind. they're also holding steady with aadvantage and are making incremental improvements to it, such as this one here.

again it's not really about what program is more valuable, whose perks are more useful, or any of that. AA is trying to create a brand image of the "new american" and my opinion is that the image that they have created is a much better one than UA has made with the "new united."

we get threads in the UA forum like this on occasion where AA does something and there's a lot of "wow, i wish UA did that." i go on the AA forum on occasion and definitely see a lot less of the reverse. it looks like american's at least trying. it looks like united is not. then again i'm in sales (and sometimes marketing) so i believe image and perception are very powerful things.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Sorry if this was covered, but does this promotion also apply to flights booked on US Airways...or not until they fully integrate.
At this point the two airlines are operating independently. As far as I can tell this promotion does not include US Scare.

The best part about the promotion is that the SWU are good until 2015! SO happy I moved to AA last year. Even if CO gives this promotion it is a day late and a dollar short. CO is not about innovation, but about just sometimes following what others do. This is why they wil continue to fail over time.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by shortkidd
At this point the two airlines are operating independently. As far as I can tell this promotion does not include US Scare.
it doesn't. my US flights still credit to UA/*A.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by pigx5
Such as??? 2 SMI/J's signature pictures at 75k?
Hahahhaah ^
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i'm in sales (and sometimes marketing) so i believe image and perception are very powerful things.
^
The image of the new United is the smile of SMI/J in the safety video and the "Chase man" with "You're in". Other images....mm....bad attitude, poor service , ancient tech and bean counter.........what else?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by pigx5
^
The image of the new United is the smile of SMI/J in the safety video and the "Chase man" with "You're in". Other images....mm....bad attitude, poor service , ancient tech and bean counter.........what else?
Do you see the "Chase 'You're in' Man' peering at you on the right even as you read this. I do. He is everywhere on this Forum.

I finally switched my regular MP Chase VISA to the Explorer card, and he is still following my every move on this Forum.

By the way, I have not yet received my United Club certificates, so I called last week. The agent said that it would be months before I eventually get them!

The rush to the bottom continues?!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
By the way, I have not yet received my United Club certificates, so I called last week. The agent said that it would be months before I eventually get them!
Not that I need them, but I never got my UC certs either and I've had the Explorer card for 6 months.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
Do you see the "Chase 'You're in' Man' peering at you on the right even as you read this. I do. He is everywhere on this Forum.

I finally switched my regular MP Chase VISA to the Explorer card, and he is still following my every move on this Forum.

The rush to the bottom continues?!
Ad Block is your friend. It is like a restraining order for the You're In man (and almost all other ads too)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.