Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Mrs Shagboy and I would like to book a trip from GRB to Lax and back using miles for one ticket and cash for the other. How do I book that? Is it necessary to call United? I can't find a way to do it on the United web site. Would a brick and mortar TA be the way to go?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm Reason: vague, non-specific thread title
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You will need to book separate tickets. Every one on a PNR must be booked using the same fare class, so no mixing of award and paid tickets on a single PNR.

This is true for online or in person TA bookings.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Well shucks, guess I'll have to bone up on linking PNRs.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shagboy
...linking PNRs. ...
So to be the bearer of further bad news, but linking PNRs is meaningless feature. It is nothing more than a comment in the PNR which brings no transfer of elite benefits and is not readable by the computer. Linking PNRs is something agents talk about to clam concerns but it readily does nothing.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:41 am
Original Poster

I have come to understand that linking PNRs is kind of meaningless. Found the information using a Google search pointing to this forum rather than the forum search function.
The reason behind my asking is seat assignments and the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer cc benefit of one free bag plus one for a companion. Looking at the United site there is no way to check the second bag for free. We continue from LAX to KOA on Delta which will allow two checked bags on a revenue ticket with the AMEX gold cc.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have come to understand that linking PNRs is kind of meaningless. Found the information using a Google search pointing to this forum rather than the forum search function.
The reason behind my asking is seat assignments and the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer cc benefit of one free bag plus one for a companion. Looking at the United site there is no way to check the second bag for free. We continue from LAX to KOA on Delta which will allow two checked bags on a revenue ticket with the AMEX gold cc.
All this strife over a Hawaii trip for $25 (2nd bag cost).

Carry the bag on the plane, and check it for free at the gate.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I know. Silly isn't it? It is best though to go armed with the information before the booking process. Unlike some people I was not born knowing all this stuff. Learning as I go, mostly due to the experienced people on this forum.
oskidunker likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Gold
Booking a revenue and mileage ticket in one PNR

Hello! I'd like to do the following all on one PNR if possible:

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Essentially it's an award ticket nested inside a revenue ticket, but all on one PNR for IRROPs considerations. I can feed the segments one by one to the phone agent, but just want to make sure it's even possible before going down that road.

Thanks all!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Essentially it's an award ticket nested inside a revenue ticket, but all on one PNR for IRROPs considerations. I can feed the segments one by one to the phone agent, but just want to make sure it's even possible before going down that road.

Thanks all!
No you can't. You'll have to book the revenue and award portions on a second record.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold
Ok, thanks!
Old May 14, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Thanks all!
This is exactly what I was looking to do. My question is can I check bags all the through from AAA-CCC? Flights would be IND-DEN-LIH all on UA with a 2 hr layover in DEN.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:53 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

AAA-BBB (revenue)
BBB-CCC (award)
CCC-DDD (award)
DDD-AAA (revenue)

Thanks all!
This is doable. One can have numerous tickets on 1 PNR, provided each person in that PNR is booked on the exact same itin (same flights, same booking classes.) Not an issue for a res agent, other than the phone booking fee if not exempt from it by status.

Not all segments need to be in the same booking class, just have them issue 11 ticket off of segements 2+3, and a 2nd ticket off of segments 1+4. I doubt the computer will check you in for both segments though when you intially check in, you most likely will have to check in 2x per direction (not 100% sure on that part though.)
Old May 14, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I know. Silly isn't it? It is best though to go armed with the information before the booking process. Unlike some people I was not born knowing all this stuff. Learning as I go, mostly due to the experienced people on this forum.
I hope that wasn't a dig at me "being born knowing all this stuff".
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus AAdvantage La Quinta Returns
Is it possible

Is it possible to book econ sections of a trip using miles and the first class sections of a trip using cash well debt on one Itinerary? I want to go to Hawaii next year and in doing my research I have found its cheaper out of DEN or LAX then ABQ my home airport so I was thinking I could book a flight up to LAX (DEN I could drive it) using miles then pay for the first class section on the legs to Hawaii

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:43 am Reason: PLEASE read http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not on the same PNR.

Surprised it's not worth it to book with miles all the way through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.