Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
This is absolutely, positively.... correct. I travel 5-10 times/year with someone using an award ticket (from my miles) while I'm on a paid ticket. So far, no issues sitting together, you just have to call and let them know what's going on.

But if things go bad, the two reservations will be treated separately. Just cross your fingers.
I also do the same thing several times a year and have had pretty good results even during irrops. Basically like the seating deal if you encounter irrops just give them a call and they usually have no problem accommodating your needs. I've even had them protect both of us on another flight in case the one they re-booked us on had issues.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

How to buy 1 ticket with cash and 1 with miles on same reservation?

Being on the same pnr does not mean you'll be seated together in event of a schedule change. Heck, it doesn't mean you'll be seated together with no schedule change. Just read the boards for 5 mins. That happened to me. We were all on the same pnr and one ended up in row 35 while we were in 21. Par for the course
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by JDS747
I also do the same thing several times a year and have had pretty good results even during irrops. Basically like the seating deal if you encounter irrops just give them a call and they usually have no problem accommodating your needs. I've even had them protect both of us on another flight in case the one they re-booked us on had issues.
Of course, until April, whomever you got an award ticket for also inherited your status. Which brings up an interesting point- during irrops, did both automated systems and human CSRs treat such passengers as 1Ks (in your case, Plats in mine)? Obviously that won't be happening down the road. Not without deliberately requesting such treatment anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Of course, until April, whomever you got an award ticket for also inherited your status. Which brings up an interesting point- during irrops, did both automated systems and human CSRs treat such passengers as 1Ks (in your case, Plats in mine)? Obviously that won't be happening down the road. Not without deliberately requesting such treatment anyway.
This is one of the reasons why the upcoming stripping of status from elite miles is such a crappy, mean-spirited devaluation. I don't think it's quite sunk in for people what a pain this is going to be in every instance where multiple travelers are not on the same PNR.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is one of the reasons why the upcoming stripping of status from elite miles is such a crappy, mean-spirited devaluation. I don't think it's quite sunk in for people what a pain this is going to be in every instance where multiple travelers are not on the same PNR.
But it was the norm prior to CO coming in. One of the few changes we liked. And now it's gone.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But it was the norm prior to CO coming in. One of the few changes we liked. And now it's gone.
It's also upgrade priority on instruments.

Let's say, for example, I'm returning from NYC with GF post April 15, but we're on separate PNRs because we flew in separately or bought our tickets at different times. I might get upgraded off the waitlist; she won't even be in the game as a GM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Amen. Posters here seem to think "1k kid coming home for spring break." reality is wife traveling with me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Exactly. Trying to extract ancillary revenues from elites (especially after PQD and the RDM devaluations) is such a bad business strategy.

One of the reasons I direct so much of my business flying to UA is that it's been so nice for leisure when I take companions with me on my miles.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cmculp
Amen. Posters here seem to think "1k kid coming home for spring break." reality is wife traveling with me.
Its both and many other circumstances. I have less issue with the cases of those traveling with the elite but when traveling separate I think this has been a unwritten benefit that has tilted the benefits equation disappointingly.

We all like to say, heh I throw my weight around and get you the free bags and free E+ seats even though I not flying with you. You get great awe from family and friends but it is an added cost/loss revenue for elites. I prefer instead of having my benefits diluted to so many non-elites that what benefits left are of more direct benefit to me when I am traveling( or those traveling with me vs some elite's 4th cousin flying seperately).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:24 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

My motivation is as follows:
1) I earn miles for the flight on my ticket
2) Wife flies free with my award miles
3) I'm able to use my status to move us both for free into Economy Plus
4) Ideally kept together in case of rebooks, etc
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by interval
At least for now, you can get this by calling even if you are on separate PNRs.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
We all like to say, heh I throw my weight around and get you the free bags and free E+ seats even though I not flying with you. You get great awe from family and friends but it is an added cost/loss revenue for elites. I prefer instead of having my benefits diluted to so many non-elites that what benefits left are of more direct benefit to me when I am traveling( or those traveling with me vs some elite's 4th cousin flying seperately).
I think the counter-argument is hey, they're my miles. If I use them on tickets for myself I will get all the 1K benefits when I travel. Why should those benefits be lost just because I use them for a family member or friend instead of for myself? It's zero-sum to UA. By contrast, under the new scheme, UA profits when I use the miles for someone else. And of course, as discussed above, it creates serious hassles when we travel with partners.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think the counter-argument is hey, they're my miles. If I use them on tickets for myself I will get all the 1K benefits when I travel. Why should those benefits be lost just because I use them for a family member or friend instead of for myself? It's zero-sum to UA. .....
Nope -- because when I travel I get the benefits anyways because of my status (and not because of the status of the miles) and I continue to in the future.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Is there a particular goal for having them in one reservation? Because we might be able to help with that.
Makes handling seating changes and irrops somewhat simpler. (Agents don't have to look up two separate itins, and know the two pax are traveling together.) It may also make it simpler to get E+ for the companion going forward, given they're supposed to be on the same itin. If UA starts playing hardball and saying, "Sorry, we can't seat your wife next to you in E+ because she's on a separate itin," that's going to be lost revenue for UA as I won't book the trip, with my paid ticket or her award one.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Hrm? If booked using your miles, there should be no need to call because the award ticket inherits your status.
Until April.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

My motivation is as follows:
1) I earn miles for the flight on my ticket
2) Wife flies free with my award miles
4) Ideally kept together in case of rebooks, etc
Same motivation I have. I need the miles & revenue from my paid ticket, but unless it's super-cheap, I like to pay for my wife's with miles so we can spend the $$ on vacation instead of on the flight.

Unfortunately, there's no way to combine into one PNR.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:24 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how to buy my ticket with cash (such that I can receive miles) while buying my spouse's ticket with miles. Can this be done on the same reservation? Or do I need to split into two purchases?

Thanks!
I would add two points to this discussion.
(1) It's fairly easy on domestic routes on United metal.
(2) For international routes, I would like to hear advice myself. In my experience, it gets really difficult especially when *A partners start getting involved. For international routes, in my experience, the award inventory goes nuts, in a bad way. It seems that international awards seem available only for routings that are crazy expensive to buy with cash, and it gets far worse for one-way itineraries. Is there a better strategy? It seemed to be a lot easier years ago. In 2008, I bought an open-jaw UA ticket SFO-TPE & PEK-SFO, while getting an award for an identical itinerary, and getting a second award that went CLE-IAD-SFO-TPE & PEK-ORD-CLE. It was nice to get the three of us together for SFO-TPE. This year, I bought SFO-TPE-KUL through BR, and got an award on those same flights through UA. It wasn't easy due to award availability.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Nov 25, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It's definitely a pain internationally - can be quite the challenge to find saver availability on an itinerary that doesn't price out as a fortune when paying cash.

Sometimes I just give up and book two separate tickets that should hopefully arrive about the same time.

Bit me in the ... on a one-day Lufthansa strike in September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.