Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can you have a single PNR where one passenger is a cash/revenue ticket and the other passenger is an award ticket?
No -- all passengers on a PNR must be of the same type ( cash or award) -- they must be the same fare class, same cabin, same routing, ....this is standard for all airlines. The airline industry-wide global distribution system (GDS) imposes this "commonality" restriction.

Can you have a single PNR where one direction is a cash/revenue ticket and the other direction is an award ticket?
No, while probably not a GDS limitation, most airlines do not allow this as the ticket rules for cash tickets and award tickets are very different.

Related threads
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done.

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, "off-pnr" [Consoldiated]

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TrixieTang
Or should I just book the award ticket, then pay separately for the three on the same route?
I just booked a separate award ticket this morning on an itinerary where I'll travel on the paid ticket.

SHARES offers enough challenges that trying to combine paid and award bookings on the same PNR is beyond my imagination, but perhaps some of the IT gurus on this will post an ingenious solution?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You cannot.

You cannot mix award and paid passengers on the same reservation.

You cannot combine the reservations after booking.

You cannot link the reservations in any substantive way.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Does anyone know how I can book an award ticket plus three paid tickets on one itinerary? Is it even possible? Or should I just book the award ticket, then pay separately for the three on the same route?
Unfortunately you can't mix award and regular paid travel on the same PNR. The award reservation would need to be ticketed separately from the other reservations.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Does PNR refer to an individual? It would be me, my husband, one son and our daughter on a trip. My son and I have enough miles (once I combine them) for an award ticket.

I'm guessing I should just combine the miles into my account for the award ticket and buy three tickets for my husband, son and daughter for their own itinerary on the same route.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Does PNR refer to an individual? It would be me, my husband, one son and our daughter on a trip. My son and I have enough miles (once I combine them) for an award ticket.

I'm guessing I should just combine the miles into my account for the award ticket and buy three tickets for my husband, son and daughter for their own itinerary on the same route.
PNR refers to the record locator and the 'space' within SHARES where your booking resides. It can have one person, or several on the locator. It cannot have both miles and paid tickets on the same PNR.

You'll want to think carefully about who gets the paid tickets and who gets the award ticket. Giving yourself the award ticket robs you of future miles that might come in (more) handy than if they were earned by your family. Only you know for sure.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by transportprof
PNR refers to the record locator and the 'space' within SHARES where your booking resides.
Technically, it's the other way around. The PNR is the actual database record, and the record locator is the ID that is used to locate the PNR in the system.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
You'll want to think carefully about who gets the paid tickets and who gets the award ticket. Giving yourself the award ticket robs you of future miles that might come in (more) handy than if they were earned by your family. Only you know for sure.
Would this be because you do not earn miles on an award ticket?

Using mileage awards doesn't make you lose status or miles banked toward status, does it?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Would this be because you do not earn miles on an award ticket?
Yes. You do not earn either redeemable or qualifying miles on an award ticket. When we were in the status chase, we would rarely book award tickets for ourselves because we would not have make 1K if we had.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes. You do not earn either redeemable or qualifying miles on an award ticket. When we were in the status chase, we would rarely book award tickets for ourselves because we would not have make 1K if we had.
Okay, so does this mean that once you use miles they disappear? As in, you start all over again in terms of status reach?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Out of curiosity, is there a reason why paid and award reservations cannot be on the same PNR, other than the technical limitations of SHARES?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Okay, so does this mean that once you use miles they disappear? As in, you start all over again in terms of status reach?
Status and award miles are completely different.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Status and award miles are completely different.
Okay, that's what I had thought and just wanted to clarify.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:00 am

I think the answer is NO from reading the previous posts, but thought i'd check...

I'm trying to book a YYZ - IST roundtrip award ticket. Dates are inflexible.

I can find an award ticket for the outbound trip from YYZ -> IST, but found no availability for the return trip from IST -> YYZ.

What I want to do is book the YYZ -> IST leg on award, and book the IST -> YYZ with money, but TATL one way tickets are double the cost of a RT ticket.

Is there a way to book one leg of a trip with award and the return leg regularly? Or should I just forget trying to book with points and just pay $ for the entire flight?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:49 pm

How to buy/merge 1 ticket with cash and 1 with miles on same reservation?

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how to buy my ticket with cash (such that I can receive miles) while buying my spouse's ticket with miles. Can this be done on the same reservation? Or do I need to split into two purchases?

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This cannot be done on one PNR. You must make separate reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.