Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Misconnex due customs/immigration and tight connect: Who pays taxi from IAD to DCA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misconnex due customs/immigration and tight connect: Who pays taxi from IAD to DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
The inbound flight was late.

From the OP: "even though I said there were no delays, the inbound flight certainly arrived later than scheduled thus reducing the connection time."
?

"We recently misconnected at IAD coming in from Asia. All segments were on UA and were on one single ticket. No UA flights were delayed.
We misconnected due to slow customs/immigration, and subsequently were protected on a flight, 6 hours later, ex-DCA, and had to fork out $70 for the taxi transfer between 2 airports."

Has the story changed somewhere?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by maple
Thanks all for the feedback. I was just expecting to learn from this experience.

There were no other options out of IAD on the same day. Overnighting would have cost a hotel room at my expense. The connection time was 1:21h, and even though I said there were no delays, the inbound flight certainly arrived later than scheduled thus reducing the connection time.
Even for a U.S. citizen or Global Entry member, 81 minutes is not sufficient to connect at IAD when clearing immigration, customs, and airport security screening. That said, UA will claim that is a legal connection, so you are out of luck.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
?

"We recently misconnected at IAD coming in from Asia. All segments were on UA and were on one single ticket. No UA flights were delayed.
We misconnected due to slow customs/immigration, and subsequently were protected on a flight, 6 hours later, ex-DCA, and had to fork out $70 for the taxi transfer between 2 airports."

Has the story changed somewhere?
No change in story. I wanted to be specific that there were no delays, as all flights took off on time. Thus, there were no delays but a late arrival.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by mduell
You chose a ticket with perhaps too tight a connection. UA doesn't know if you're going to be using Global Entry and can make the connection no problem.
My experience transiting IAD is that GE does not help. Yes, you bypass the long immigration lines, but baggage claim, even if transiting, takes longer than the wait in the customs lines.

Any international connection less than 2 hours if you have checked luggage is a BIG risk.

And as noted above, if you are GE and the kiosks are down, you do get to use the crew line. Take advantage of all your benefits!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:53 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by channa
The inbound flight was late.

From the OP: "even though I said there were no delays, the inbound flight certainly arrived later than scheduled thus reducing the connection time."
?? Then why did he say there were no delays?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No change in story. I wanted to be specific that there were no delays, as all flights took off on time. Thus, there were no delays but a late arrival.
I see (even though a late arrival is a delayed arrival). Still, longer than usual CIQ process. Possible ATC or adverse weather/winds might be cause of delay in landing, again out of UA's control. Flew once IAH to LAS via Memphis (DL/NW). Departed on time, encountered weather at Memphis, had to racetrack a bit before landing, missing connection. Got re-booked for next day, but no hotel/transfer since problem not DL/NW's.

Some of you are confused - Minimum connection times do not account for IRROPS. It's a connection time - from when you leave the jetway of one aircraft until you board the next, allowing time for terminal transfers, security clearances, CIQ, etc. It's based on expected arrivals/departures. If UA has a flight that's constantly late, then it needs to adjust the length of flight, not change MCT. That would have possibly made your connection invalid. If you want to make MCT include late arrivals, etc, let's just allow 24 hours or so as a MCT, unless you're at a infrequent service int'l airport and make it 48...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 19, 2013 at 11:22 am Reason: INIMU
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Also, in these circumstances, and assuming that UA's published connection times were met, it would be reasonable for UA to pay for the cab - when booking a flight with several stops all on UA, a passenger is entitled to assume that UA has the expertise and the ability to perform that service.
If you book a ticket with UA that includes a stop with different destination and origin airports, UA never covers ground transportation between those airports; it's up to you to get between LGA/JFK, DCA/IAD, etc.

Whatever, it should not be up to the passenger to "choose" or "accept" a tight connection. Not knowing IAD, how would one know what a "tight" connection is. Some airports are so much easier to connect through and 1:21h would be a breeze. IAD is totally a mess and my feeling is UA should have known, and perhaps increased the connection time there if misconnects were rampant. And no, we weren't the only ones who misconnected on that flight.
Thanks for that comment. After the fact, I relooked the connection of 1:21h. With gates closing 10min prior, and inbound taxi/disembarking taking at least 15min, the true connection time, including running across more than 20 gates, was south of 60mins. The airline, with whatever limited info it has, should have concluded that an international connection would take more time than that.
From my own experience with global entry and no checked bags, I'm pretty confident I can make an 80 minute ID connection at most airports, and I'd book one. I'd hate to be forced into 5 hour connections if they set the MCT at 2.5 hours so grannie can book the MCT and make it. I also know that if I don't make it, I'll be waiting around for the next available flight.

Thanks for this comment. As you can see, I choose to stay objective and to ignore other comments that suggest that the traveler should know what a reasonable connection is, or should know enough to "not like" a "tight" connection. The onus should not be on the pax to know what's tight or not - not everybody lives out of a suitcase - that responsibility falls on the airline within its definition of connection legality. The pax purchased something offered by the airline, so should have a reasonable expectation to make his connections.
And there was a reasonable expectation a traveler could make the connection. When you didn't, the airline said we understand people take different amounts of time to get from gate to gate because of immigration, program (global entry, precheck, etc) membership, mobility, etc, so we'll rebook you on our next available flight out of this airport or a nearby airport. You picked the nearby airport.

Originally Posted by Lightman7
My experience transiting IAD is that GE does not help. Yes, you bypass the long immigration lines, but baggage claim, even if transiting, takes longer than the wait in the customs lines.

Any international connection less than 2 hours if you have checked luggage is a BIG risk.
Not everyone has bags; UA does not know if you'll be checking bags at ticketing time.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I use GE at IAD all the time and zip right on through. I almost never check bags so I can't comment on that wait time, but a GE with no bags is in and out at IAD.

As an aside, wait until folks start counting on the Silver line to get home or into the District but arrive after Metro operations have closed for the night - that ain't going to be fun

Cheers -
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
If the situation at the border looks indefinite, UA will probably adjust their MCT for int'l connections. You want to blame someone? Blame Congress for not providing the money for the needed services. UA didn't cause the delay at CIQ. Send your representative the cab bill. Oops, OP is Canadian...
Why is this congre$$'s responsibility? CBP already tacks on ludicrous fees:
5.50 Customs
7.00 Immigration
5.00 APHIS

does anything think it really costs anything close to $17.50 to process a marginal passenger?

Maybe not for you. I had a scheduled 2:30 connection BRU-IAD-YYZ a few months ago, there was a flight 40 minutes from our scheduled arrival time. We landed a little early, GE+security took < 5 minutes, I got myself on the new flight and still had time to hit the RCC for a snack. Checking luggage on an international flight when you have somewhere to be is a recipe for delays. TLV-EWR a few weeks ago I was waiting 45 minutes for (priority) bags.. Ridiculous. The line to get out of customs was also a half hour long, wihth a clear line for GE. That took no time. GE is worth every penny.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. UA's obligation was to rebook OP.

2. OP chose to accept the xDCA flight rather than overnight at IAD. That's a reasonable decision and I would almost certainly have made the same decision. But, nonetheless, it's a choice and OP made it.

3. Had OP asked, UA might have issued a voucher, but he didn't.

4. OP can certainly submit the receipt, but there's nothing in the COC which would require UA to reimburse when it didn't agree to pay upfront. If OP gets a couple of miles tossed his way, that would be about it.

On the subject of MCT's, there are people who book short connections, people who want more time and people who don't know what they need. The first two are certainly informed decisions. There's no shame in being like OP -- an traveler who doesn't know IAD -- but that's what a good TA does for you.

I don't want UA deciding for me what I want. While the connection was tight, it's the kind of thing I would have tried for, particularly if there were no later connections.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
Why is this congre$$'s responsibility? CBP already tacks on ludicrous fees:
5.50 Customs
7.00 Immigration
5.00 APHIS

does anything think it really costs anything close to $17.50 to process a marginal passenger?
The fees do not go directly to the agencies they are intended for. UA does not write a check to Homeland Security. Congress allocates budgets.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:09 pm

I don't think there is a clear policy, so it's hard to say what you could have gotten if you had asked when you were booked a new connection (unless someone else has personal experience on this). It doesn't hurt to contact CS, maybe you will get a credit for a future flight.

Look at the extreme scenario, what if the plane was stuck on the tarmac upon arrival for 90 minutes? Who is at fault here? In my opinion, I take the risk if I book a flight with a tight connection, but I will always lean on the airline to see what can be done to fix the issue at no additional expense to myself. In that sense, it doesn't really matter who is at fault, it's more about United's willingness to compensate you.

Personally, I would be more bummed at the wasted 6 hours than the $70.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 1kBill
IME, if kiosk is down, GE participants get to use the crew lane.
At IAH a few weeks ago, even the GE people were in the immigration line for over 30 minutes. The regular lines were over an hour. I agree with what others have said, don't take any international connection under 2 hours into the US unless you can afford to miss your connecting flight. This is not Hong Kong, after all, with plenty of efficient and competent immigration agents. I have done many 45 minute connections where I had to go through immigration and recheck my bags in HKG, and never had a problem.

There is just no way that you can blame the airline for the competence/proficiency of a government agency!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by thegrailer
I use GE at IAD all the time and zip right on through. I almost never check bags so I can't comment on that wait time, but a GE with no bags is in and out at IAD.
Your profile indicates WAS, so it appears that you do not connect to another UA flight at IAD. Mid-field security can be a nightmare taking 20-30 minutes at times and GE is no help. Bag reclaim is generally not a problem for me at IAD.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
At IAH a few weeks ago, even the GE people were in the immigration line for over 30 minutes. The regular lines were over an hour. I agree with what others have said, don't take any international connection under 2 hours into the US unless you can afford to miss your connecting flight. This is not Hong Kong, after all, with plenty of efficient and competent immigration agents. I have done many 45 minute connections where I had to go through immigration and recheck my bags in HKG, and never had a problem.
HKG is not always a paragon of speedy immigration processing. I've had times through there when immigration/bag reclaim have taken as little as 10 minutes and as much as 45-60 minutes, most recently last year. Land at HKG at the wrong time and prepare yourself for a long wait.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

We misconnected due to slow customs/immigration, and subsequently were protected on a flight, 6 hours later, ex-DCA, and had to fork out $70 for the taxi transfer between 2 airports.
With six hours why would you ever take a taxi? Even if OP wasn't familiar with local public transit, Super Shuttle (for which no reservations are needed) would have done the transfer in plenty of time for only $29.00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.