Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many agents does it take to change a reservation? LOL

How many agents does it take to change a reservation? LOL

Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm flying LAX-PTY (Panama)-PUJ (Punta Cana). Both flights are on Copa purchased on UA ticket stock. B fare, which automatically upgrades into Business at the time of purchase for 1k (all elites?).

I decided that rather than connect in PTY, it would be nice to overnight to see the canal. I called to make the change.

1st call, agent make the change and sent me to the *A desk to process the upgrade. *A was about to charge me 20K miles when I reminded them it was a free upgrade. They didn't quite know what to do, and told me they would just process it.

I check online to see the itinerary red flagged.

2nd call: Agent reissues the ticket then asked for an add collect of $751 for the Business ticket. I remind her the upgrade is free. She asks me to hold, then I get disconnected.

3rd call: Agent reissues the ticket and tells me price went down $40. Great! She reissues ticket. I go online and see that she took away my overnight.

4th call: Speak immediately to a supervisor. Now on hold as he (hopefully) straightens it all out!

Pray for me!!!

OY VEY!

The supervisor got me back on my flights, but he wasn't able to do the upgrade. The rate desk told him that it's only processed five days out. I quoted his (from ual.com):

"When flying Copa, instant upgrades are only available on Y, B, M, or H-class full-fare Economy tickets."

He went back to the rate desk, and they denied it.

He then said, "I'll take care of this."

On hold 20 minutes. Then web support in India answers. They couldn't do anything.

Help!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:28 am
Suspended

check the fare rules is that B fully refundable, if yes and there are still seats for the flights you want, then CX what you have and start over
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
check the fare rules is that B fully refundable, if yes and there are still seats for the flights you want, then CX what you have and start over
While refundable, I am using prior credits, so it gets complicated!

I finally called COPA, and they processed the upgrade. But it caused a red flag on the UA side. So I called UA back. OMG!!! Back to stage one. Agent asks, "What are you using to support the upgrade." On hold again, now 25 minutes!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K
This is crazy - and United wonders why its loosing money? You had a choice and bought a more expensive ticket to get treated like this for something they advertise as a benefit.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
to answer your question - 3 for me today at DEN

flying a thru flight (one flight number with a plane change) and wanted to get out of the middle seat after the first leg. this is not hard -- even i know how to do it -- split segments and reassign seats on 2nd segment, add to UGWL. not rocket science.

1. MP premier line - "computer says no"

2. CSR at CS desk in B terminal - "computer says no"

3. gate agent at 2nd flight - 5 seconds of typing, out spits a new boarding pass with the last available E+ window (^), and my name is 20/30 on the WL ()
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddrost1
to answer your question - 3 for me today at DEN

flying a thru flight (one flight number with a plane change) and wanted to get out of the middle seat after the first leg. this is not hard -- even i know how to do it -- split segments and reassign seats on 2nd segment, add to UGWL. not rocket science.

1. MP premier line - "computer says no"

2. CSR at CS desk in B terminal - "computer says no"

3. gate agent at 2nd flight - 5 seconds of typing, out spits a new boarding pass with the last available E+ window (^), and my name is 20/30 on the WL ()
In all fairness, airport agents often have more options for these kinds of things than phone agents!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by zrs70
In all fairness, airport agents often have more options for these kinds of things than phone agents!
touche, but that doesn't explain the difference between #'s 2 and 3 nor does it explain why agent #2 told me (paraphrased) "computer says no because you are currently on the flight" to which i replied "clearly i am not, because i am standing in front of you here in the airport".

i should have added that GA who succeeded had a hand written self made booklet of shares codes/cheats that he had to reference to deliver the goods. why UA cannot provide such a booklet, typed up and neatly organized is quite beyond me.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Quick aside. Trying to get an earlier flight to WAS the other day.

1. GA #1: You can't get on this flight. Immediately closes door. Never comes back. It was getting late and close to departure but but the flight had not closed yet - well it did as the agent closed the door and walked away. No IAD for me
2. GA #2:[other end of B at ORD] I can't wait list you to DCA. Huh?
3. 1K line agent #1: You are not allowed to be waitlisted. Huh?
4. 1K line agent #2: Sure hold on a second. You are waitlisted. Can I help you with anything else? yea for me plus I got on that flight

So maybe it takes 4 agents? I should give the first agent a break bc it was close to closing - but not closed - except he was so rude about it.

Cheers -

Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:06 pm

IMHO, it generally takes three at the airport:

1) The original ASA helping you
2) A call/conference with their supervisor to get the to OK to change anything (rare to have that happen on pmUA)
3) Call to the help desk to get SHARES to do what the ASA is wanting to do to the ticket

My average is about 15 - 20 mins per transaction at the airport. Yes, I wonder why this airline is losing money.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It took three agents to *make* a reservation that would ticket for me last night. The first one set up the flights, applied an ETC, and took my credit card # for the balance. After 5 hours nothing had ticketed, so I called back. The second agent put me on hold for 40 minutes and then disconnected the line. The third agent asked for my credit card # again, put through the charge for the ticket. Now I see that I have two cc charges for the same ticket!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation Wow... Second one today

I was trying to refare a ticket. Could get the fare online, but needed help from an agent. She told me to fare lock (pay the 6 bucks) and then she would retrieve it.

I do so. I give her the new PNR. She asks me to hold. Line goes dead.

I figured she would call back. No such courtesy.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by B787938
IMHO, it generally takes three at the airport:

1) The original ASA helping you
2) A call/conference with their supervisor to get the to OK to change anything (rare to have that happen on pmUA)
3) Call to the help desk to get SHARES to do what the ASA is wanting to do to the ticket

My average is about 15 - 20 mins per transaction at the airport. Yes, I wonder why this airline is losing money.
--------------
1) What's an ASA?.....do you mean CSR - customer service rep ?
2) We don't have to call a supervisor to get an approval - an agent either knows how to do something or they don't.....which leads to #3 ..
3) Yes, most agents at the help desk can help with or give us the entries we need.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
He then said, "I'll take care of this."

On hold 20 minutes. Then web support in India answers. They couldn't do anything.
This has happened to me several times recently. Not to point fingers, but always with Ex-CO CSRs. There is nothing more infuriating then being put on hold, by a supervisor no less!, after being passed around multiple times, only to find yourself transferred, with no warning or explanation, to bloody web support. Such unbelievable rudeness and laziness in a customer-facing position would be grounds for instant termination in any other industry. Luckily the GS desk has never pulled this crap, or I would have been wasting my time sending a letter to Smisek.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.