Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA reports highest increase in revenue per passenger mile flown in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

United Airlines reported that its passenger revenue per passenger mile flown, or unit revenues, increased 6.5 percent to 7.5 percent in March – by far the best performance reported by a U.S. airline

Here’s what its competitors have reported for their March unit revenues.

Delta Air Lines Up 2%
American Airlines Up 0.3%
Southwest Airlines Flat
US Airways Flat
Allegiant Air Down 0.7% to 1.1%

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...d-growth.html/
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You are, perhaps forgetting, that perhaps the reason the PRASM rose so much is because beginning March 03, 2012, things went to Heck for UA after switching to SHARES. I'd fully expect (and so should the shareholders) to see PRASM rise year-over-year. Remember, UA reduced schedules in 2012 due to the switch, and things still fell apart.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm not forgetting anything - direct quotes from the article.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I suppose you could also say "UA reports a dramatic increase in on-time and completion rates vs. last March!"

A pointless comparison
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:03 am

So, you don't think this is positive news?

What will it take for you to acknowledge a positive trend?

I do agree that the baseline is low, but then 1 year later we should expect these type of dramatic improvements if UA is trending in the right direction, correct?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I do agree that the baseline is low, but then 1 year later we should expect these type of dramatic improvements if UA is trending in the right direction, correct?
While I take it as positive news, they've been decreasing capacity for the past year so I'd be shocked if they didn't increase in PRASM since last March.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Capacity cuts have been so large that this really means nothing
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by edcho
While I take it as positive news, they've been decreasing capacity for the past year so I'd be shocked if they didn't increase in PRASM since last March.
Caveats and qualifications are everywhere...

But, something has to be going right here, correct?

Originally Posted by demkr
Nothing? Nothing at all?

Every little nit and pick that is negative quickly becomes a 50 post thread here on FT deriding the airline.

But, a very large increase in passenger revenue per mile means nothing?

I am not trying to claim that this is some watershed event and UA is now out of the woods. There is a lot of work still to be done.

But characterizing this news as 'nothing' seems misguided to me.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Caveats and qualifications are everywhere...

But, something has to be going right here, correct?
You realize March '12 is probably going to be the best month to comp against in a decade, right?

I think the Q1 results will be a bit more telling, and not in a good way.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

+1. At my home airport AUS, several of the AUS-EWR nonstops will be flown on E170s going forward and much of the AUS-IAH flights which were all 737 service on pmCO for the last decade are now on E145/E145/CRJ700 (and even some Q400). It's getting hard to fly UA out of AUS without flying a significant portion of a trip on regionals. Ludicrous. Capacity is way down.

In the meantime, AA zeroes out practically every flight in and out of AUS every time I fly (usually Tue and Thu but even this coming Sat). All on MD80s with far more service frequencies. UA is quite literally handing the AUS market to AA and SWA.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You realize March '12 is probably going to be the best month to comp against in a decade, right?

I think the Q1 results will be a bit more telling, and not in a good way.
Fair enough... and Q2, and Q3, and this entire fiscal year and next fiscal year, etc. All will be telling.

Still, characterizing this uptick as 'no news' is just a little hypocritical in my opinion.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:59 am

Fair enough... and Q2, and Q3, and this entire fiscal year and next fiscal year, etc. All will be telling.

Still, characterizing this uptick as 'no news' is just a little hypocritical in my opinion.
No less hypocrytical than UA's attempt to use a year over year comparison with one of the worst months in airline history as fodder for creating spin that tries to make it look like they have done a great job.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

Sure it's a positive trend, but last march was so bad that if they didn't show a positive trend from then it would be an epic failure. The point is that you would fully expect a dramatic increase, any mediocre results in March would be a dramatic increase from last March. The comparison with other airlines is meaningless because they did not implode last march.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu
No less hypocrytical than UA's attempt to use a year over year comparison with one of the worst months in airline history as fodder for creating spin that tries to make it look like they have done a great job.
So, are you saying that by achieving this large increase, UA management has done a bad job?

Now we are really entering some parallel reality...

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Sure it's a positive trend, but last march was so bad that if they didn't show a positive trend from then it would be an epic failure. The point is that you would fully expect a dramatic increase, any mediocre results in March would be a dramatic increase from last March. The comparison with other airlines is meaningless because they did not implode last march.
So, in your opinion, these results fall somewhere between "epic failure' and "good job"?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
+1. At my home airport AUS, several of the AUS-EWR nonstops will be flown on E170s going forward and much of the AUS-IAH flights which were all 737 service on pmCO for the last decade are now on E145/E145/CRJ700 (and even some Q400). It's getting hard to fly UA out of AUS without flying a significant portion of a trip on regionals. Ludicrous. Capacity is way down.

In the meantime, AA zeroes out practically every flight in and out of AUS every time I fly (usually Tue and Thu but even this coming Sat). All on MD80s with far more service frequencies. UA is quite literally handing the AUS market to AA and SWA.
You actually prefer a 30-year-old MD80 that probably needs a 3rd D-check over a relatively new CRJ700 ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.