Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 10, 13, 1:41 am   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA 1K3MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 724
UA reports highest increase in revenue per passenger mile flown in March

United Airlines reported that its passenger revenue per passenger mile flown, or unit revenues, increased 6.5 percent to 7.5 percent in March – by far the best performance reported by a U.S. airline

Here’s what its competitors have reported for their March unit revenues.

Delta Air Lines Up 2%
American Airlines Up 0.3%
Southwest Airlines Flat
US Airways Flat
Allegiant Air Down 0.7% to 1.1%


http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...d-growth.html/
HNLbasedFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 2:23 am   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ASE
Programs: AA & Accor PLT, COdbaUA/Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Avis Prfd, SPG/HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,880
You are, perhaps forgetting, that perhaps the reason the PRASM rose so much is because beginning March 03, 2012, things went to Heck for UA after switching to SHARES. I'd fully expect (and so should the shareholders) to see PRASM rise year-over-year. Remember, UA reduced schedules in 2012 due to the switch, and things still fell apart.
UAPremierGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 2:40 am   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA 1K3MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 724
I'm not forgetting anything - direct quotes from the article.
HNLbasedFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 5:40 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1KMM, AA Plat, SPG Plat75/LTG, Hertz PC
Posts: 15,015
I suppose you could also say "UA reports a dramatic increase in on-time and completion rates vs. last March!"

A pointless comparison
UA-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 6:03 am   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, UA 1K, VX Gold
Posts: 4,804
So, you don't think this is positive news?

What will it take for you to acknowledge a positive trend?

I do agree that the baseline is low, but then 1 year later we should expect these type of dramatic improvements if UA is trending in the right direction, correct?
LarkSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 6:37 am   #6
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: VX Elevate, AA CK, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
So, you don't think this is positive news?

What will it take for you to acknowledge a positive trend?

I do agree that the baseline is low, but then 1 year later we should expect these type of dramatic improvements if UA is trending in the right direction, correct?
While I take it as positive news, they've been decreasing capacity for the past year so I'd be shocked if they didn't increase in PRASM since last March.
edcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 6:51 am   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Lowly 1K
Posts: 5,782
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Capacity cuts have been so large that this really means nothing
__________________
From 1K to 1Kettle in 1 generation....CPU Success Rate 2014: 7/12 segments (58%).
demkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:12 am   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, UA 1K, VX Gold
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcho View Post
While I take it as positive news, they've been decreasing capacity for the past year so I'd be shocked if they didn't increase in PRASM since last March.
Caveats and qualifications are everywhere...

But, something has to be going right here, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
Capacity cuts have been so large that this really means nothing
Nothing? Nothing at all?

Every little nit and pick that is negative quickly becomes a 50 post thread here on FT deriding the airline.

But, a very large increase in passenger revenue per mile means nothing?

I am not trying to claim that this is some watershed event and UA is now out of the woods. There is a lot of work still to be done.

But characterizing this news as 'nothing' seems misguided to me.
LarkSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:15 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1KMM, AA Plat, SPG Plat75/LTG, Hertz PC
Posts: 15,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Caveats and qualifications are everywhere...

But, something has to be going right here, correct?
You realize March '12 is probably going to be the best month to comp against in a decade, right?

I think the Q1 results will be a bit more telling, and not in a good way.
UA-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:19 am   #10
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AA EXP/2.95MM, UA 1k, National EE, IC PlatAmb, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Capacity cuts have been so large that this really means nothing
+1. At my home airport AUS, several of the AUS-EWR nonstops will be flown on E170s going forward and much of the AUS-IAH flights which were all 737 service on pmCO for the last decade are now on E145/E145/CRJ700 (and even some Q400). It's getting hard to fly UA out of AUS without flying a significant portion of a trip on regionals. Ludicrous. Capacity is way down.

In the meantime, AA zeroes out practically every flight in and out of AUS every time I fly (usually Tue and Thu but even this coming Sat). All on MD80s with far more service frequencies. UA is quite literally handing the AUS market to AA and SWA.
__________________
UA 2014 EQM = 106,691 / UA '14 CPU = 44/93 (47%)
AAExPlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:25 am   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, UA 1K, VX Gold
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
You realize March '12 is probably going to be the best month to comp against in a decade, right?

I think the Q1 results will be a bit more telling, and not in a good way.
Fair enough... and Q2, and Q3, and this entire fiscal year and next fiscal year, etc. All will be telling.

Still, characterizing this uptick as 'no news' is just a little hypocritical in my opinion.
LarkSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:59 am   #12
Used to be 'mitchmu'
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Fair enough... and Q2, and Q3, and this entire fiscal year and next fiscal year, etc. All will be telling.

Still, characterizing this uptick as 'no news' is just a little hypocritical in my opinion.
No less hypocrytical than UA's attempt to use a year over year comparison with one of the worst months in airline history as fodder for creating spin that tries to make it look like they have done a great job.
FlyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:05 am   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, AA Plat (thanks AA), Various others of little note
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
So, you don't think this is positive news?

What will it take for you to acknowledge a positive trend?

I do agree that the baseline is low, but then 1 year later we should expect these type of dramatic improvements if UA is trending in the right direction, correct?
Sure it's a positive trend, but last march was so bad that if they didn't show a positive trend from then it would be an epic failure. The point is that you would fully expect a dramatic increase, any mediocre results in March would be a dramatic increase from last March. The comparison with other airlines is meaningless because they did not implode last march.
Boghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:07 am   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: RC Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, UA 1K, VX Gold
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
No less hypocrytical than UA's attempt to use a year over year comparison with one of the worst months in airline history as fodder for creating spin that tries to make it look like they have done a great job.
So, are you saying that by achieving this large increase, UA management has done a bad job?

Now we are really entering some parallel reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boghopper View Post
Sure it's a positive trend, but last march was so bad that if they didn't show a positive trend from then it would be an epic failure. The point is that you would fully expect a dramatic increase, any mediocre results in March would be a dramatic increase from last March. The comparison with other airlines is meaningless because they did not implode last march.
So, in your opinion, these results fall somewhere between "epic failure' and "good job"?
LarkSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:16 am   #15
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAExPlat View Post
+1. At my home airport AUS, several of the AUS-EWR nonstops will be flown on E170s going forward and much of the AUS-IAH flights which were all 737 service on pmCO for the last decade are now on E145/E145/CRJ700 (and even some Q400). It's getting hard to fly UA out of AUS without flying a significant portion of a trip on regionals. Ludicrous. Capacity is way down.

In the meantime, AA zeroes out practically every flight in and out of AUS every time I fly (usually Tue and Thu but even this coming Sat). All on MD80s with far more service frequencies. UA is quite literally handing the AUS market to AA and SWA.
You actually prefer a 30-year-old MD80 that probably needs a 3rd D-check over a relatively new CRJ700 ?
787fan is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:32 am.