Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RJ 145 maximum carry-on size to avoid gate check

Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Is there a published maximum carry on bag size to avoid gate checking? I have a small carry-on rollerbag which fits (without shoving) in the overhead on a 145 or under the seat. However it is a rollerboard. I had an FA on a EWR-DCA flight 2 weeks ago refuse to let me on with it and (unfortunately) the same FA yesterday on a EWR-GSO flight. I've never had an issue with boarding with it on any other 145 flight.

The UA website https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx only says the bag must be able to fit in the overhead or under the seat in front. However it goes on to say that RJ's may be different.

"Note: Baggage allowances for United's codeshare partners or United Express flights operated by ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. or Chautauqua Airlines may be different."

Wait times to get your gate checked bag back can be ridiculously long, so I'd like to have something printed with me that I can show the FA, to avoid gate checking if possible.

Secondly, how do you disagree with an FA's decision without getting denied boarding or having your flight diverted? (See nearby post about a flight diverted to ORD when parents objected to the content of the overhead movie.) The vast majority of FA's I've come in contact with are sensible and just want to do their job. Some, though (like the one I encountered) seem to enjoy the power trip. On this latest flight, I heard the FA calling out to the pilot (who must have said something) that it was her job to enforce the carry-on policy. If there's a written policy that says any rollerboard (regardless of size) has to be gate checked, then I stand corrected. I saw at least 2 duffle bags that were clearly larger than my bag.

Is this what flying has come to now? We hear a decision we believe (or know) is wrong and just smile and make sheep noises to avoid being deemed a security risk?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

What I did last week with a 145 flight - accept the green tag at the gate during boarding, then carry it onto the aircraft and put it in the bin. An 18" roller will fit.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I would politely state something along the lines of "I've flown on this aircraft numerous times and the bag has always fit. Perhaps you'll let me try? If it really does not fit, I'll be happy to gate check it."

Unfortunately, there will be some FAs that will say "no, anything with wheels must be gate checked." and there's little you can do about it, short of carrying the bag that I carry (Patagonia MLC) which always fits and doesn't have wheels.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
What I did last week with a 145 flight - accept the green tag at the gate during boarding, then carry it onto the aircraft and put it in the bin. An 18" roller will fit.
This works if the FA isn't checking, but if it's the FA giving you grief, then holding a green tag in your hand (or having it on your bag) will only make things worse.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Well, I guess I could always put the bag in a larger duffle bag.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:11 pm

The FA said it was fine to test, or else bring it back to the front . It fit with ease.

Perhaps that type of conversation is YMMV.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Just get the green tag and carry the bag on the plane. If you have it under the seat and it fits, you're golden.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
... I had an FA on a EWR-DCA flight 2 weeks ago refuse to let me on with it and (unfortunately) the same FA yesterday on a EWR-GSO flight. I've never had an issue with boarding with it on any other 145 flight...
Was that an Express Jet flight? They are notorious for the "if it has wheels it is gatechecked, even if it is small enough to fit in overhead or under seat." When I know it is an Express Jet flight, I carry my very smaller roller on board and as I step onto plane make sure I have the wheels turned towards side of plane where FA is not standing. Seems to have helped reduce the directive to gate check the bag.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. OP, I suspect knows the answer to his question. Once he's told to get the bag off, it's not staying in the cabin. Whether that involves simply handing it over or being offloaded himself at the Captain's order, the bag's not going in the cabin. Thus, arguing is pointless.

2. If OP doesn't like it, he's free to write in, but UA isn't by contract and UAX isn't as a matter of policy going to change it.

3. The 145's board in 10 mins and can turn in 25 at EWR. A delay while the bag is handled, the w&b is recalculated and so on, can cause delays on a route which typically has a low priority (small aircraft, ultra short-haul onward to a non-hub).

4. I don't doubt that OP can force his bag into the OH of a 145, but the question is how many of OP's-sized bag that aircraft can handle. There's no perfection here, but if his takes up more that its fair share, there's somebody who didn't sneak their bag on who gets scr**ed. And, then they're ranting on FT and so on.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
4. I don't doubt that OP can force his bag into the OH of a 145, but the question is how many of OP's-sized bag that aircraft can handle. There's no perfection here, but if his takes up more that its fair share, there's somebody who didn't sneak their bag on who gets scr**ed. And, then they're ranting on FT and so on.
this is true of any aircraft. in my case it was one bag, party of 4. And not New Jersey, which meant a reasonable/pleasant conversation with FA.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:30 pm

The FAA only permits personal items to be carried aboard ExpressJet EMB-145's. If it doesn't qualify as a personal item, then don't be surprised if the flight attendant asks you to gate check it. They're only following the regulations as established by the FAA.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wayside
The FAA only permits personal items to be carried aboard ExpressJet EMB-145's. If it doesn't qualify as a personal item, then don't be surprised if the flight attendant asks you to gate check it. They're only following the regulations as established by the FAA.
Can you point us to the wording of that FAA regulation? I'd be interested to see it.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
was it the flight attendant on the plane or the gate agent that told you you had to gate check the bag? I would politely tell the agent that it fits under the seat and politely request that you be allowed to keep it with you on the plane.

How big is the carry on? If it is 36 linear inches or less, you can claim it is a personal item as opposed to a carry-on.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
put the bag in a larger duffle bag.
I'd second this. There are ultralight travel duffles that take little space till needed.

What complicates the "it fits" argument is that one can in fact fit some rollerboards sideways on a RJ145 that are at the legal limit for a mainline jet carryon (which is smaller than what fits and elites bring on for a mainline jet overhead bin). I've been given permission to carry on such a bag, onto a late not-full RJ 145 at risk of missing a connection.

The "four of us are sharing air rights" argument is problematic, as other passengers don't know this, nor should it be their business. We should all see sensible rules enforced. I'm not generally full of empathy for the airline's side, but here the rule is based on a sensible space-rationing concern.

As for the simplistic "wheels" criterion, sure. The TSA also tells me a shirt that isn't tucked in is a coat. And they're right; the shirts I use that way do replace coats. That's why an ultralight duffle is the easiest obey-the-rules workaround here.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GBadger
Can you point us to the wording of that FAA regulation? I'd be interested to see it.
To be precise, although I don't think it matters, what Wayside is saying is that AA sets a carry-on policy and submits that to FAA. FAA rules require AA to adhere to AA's stated policy and the failure to do so is a violation of FAA rules.

So, like many FAA violations, the underlying violation is a violation of carrier policy, but it is the failure to enforce the policy which is the rules violation.

Ultimately the Captain has the final say as to who and what flies.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

All the flights in question were Express Jet E145 flights.

I have on some occasions with where the load is light and I have 12BC to myself, taken on a full size rollerboard and put it under the seat in front of me. If the FA objects, I gate checked it without question. However the bag in the referenced case was less than 36 linear inches and easily fit taking up no more space than a briefcase. What I'm hoping to find is a written policy that tells me if the FA was following the rules or making them up with a "if it has wheels, it gets gate checked" policy.

I can't really claim it as my "one personal item" since I'm also bringing a briefcase.

One thing I need to stop doing in these cases is taking advantage of the GS preboarding opportunity, which gives the FA plenty of time to look me over before the line starts to form. It's probably easier to bring a bag on unnoticed when you're in the middle of a long line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.