Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RJ 145 maximum carry-on size to avoid gate check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RJ 145 maximum carry-on size to avoid gate check

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by It's Me!
Please hear me out. :-)

First of all it is my intention to get every single customer to their destination, with their bag at the time we said we would. It is also my intention to make the entire process as pleasant as possible. I am what you call an "Express Jet lifer" and happy customers equals job security and makes my day easier.

Here is the full definition of a "carry-on bag" according to chapter 8 page 14 of my inflight manual:
"Defined as a roll-aboard bag, suitcase or other type of bag. Carry-on bags must not exceed 45 linear inches (H+W+L) or 40 pounds, or be of a size and shape which does not allow for proper aircraft stowage." (Remember that carry on bags are not permitted in the cabin)

When it says any other type of bag I realize that is a huge grey area. So I'm going to answer your question based on my understanding of the definition. Please remember this is just my opinion. Yes, your briefcase with wheels can be brought into the cabin. I see it as a briefcase and not a suit case. The roller bags would be similar in size to my crew bag and your brief case would be similar in size to my tote bag. My roller bag is considered a carry on and my tote is considered a personal item.

I apologize for all the frustration anyone may have felt and hope that my input is helpful.
I appreciate your insight, but have to say that it's not as black and white as separating things into "carry-on bag" vs. "personal item".

I typically travel with one carry-on (Patagonia MLC). It fits in the overhead. If necessary, it fits (barely) under my seat. By definition, it is almost exactly the size of the bag sizer available at the gate (which almost has to make it a carry-on). By your definition it should be viewed as not allowed into the cabin. Having said that, I often wear it as a backpack and carry my laptop in it, so maybe I can make the case that it's my laptop bag backpack ? I've had a couple of GAs try to tag it, but I've never gate checked it (because it always fits in the overhead!).

I do get frustrated when I'm told I have to check it, but I try to internalize that frustration, smile, nod, and proceed to slip the tag into my pocket (because the bag easily fits in the overhead!). Never had a problem once on board.

I also can't stand the "everyone wait on board because the bags aren't out yet" rule that's often imposed. I don't have a bag to wait for, and waiting onboard for an extra 5 minutes is going to make me miss my connection/bus/club time. Why do I have to wait onboard when the engines are powered off, the door is open and it is safe to deplane?
Old May 15, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Starblazer
According to the United RGCOM, all bags are to be scanned on and off an aircraft so they can do weight and balance in Unimatic. Just because you don't see them scan it at the beltloader doesn't mean it isn't done. At our station, sometimes we do it at the gate (if we're short workers), in the jetbridge (when we have enough people), or planeside at the beltloader (if I've got a newbie ramp crew that doesn't know what the heck their doing and forget or we have more regular bags to scan.)

All bags are to be scanned off a flight too, typically inside the bins on the 145s. It raises red flags if more bags are scanned off than on a flight.
I stand corrected - you are right, I was thinking scanning at the gate, but yes, the tags do get scanned by the ramp personnel before loading for non-jetbridge boarding. I was thinking YUL, where gate-check goes through an elevator and nobody's there; I assume the tags get scanned plane-side. In any case, there is still no issue of getting a green tag and going onto the plane with the luggage - I've done that many times.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:08 pm

Here is some food for thought:

Fact: We are using a different weight and balance system then before.

Fact: The previous system accounted for "carry on luggage" in the cabin. The number of bags and their location throughout the cabin was added to the weight and balance.

Fact: With the new system we no longer count the "carry on bags" in the cabin and thus their weight is not added to the final weight and balance numbers the pilots use.

Speculation: I have lots if it lol. However I feel it will devalue the integrity of my post.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by It's Me!
Fact: The previous system accounted for "carry on luggage" in the cabin. The number of bags and their location throughout the cabin was added to the weight and balance.

Fact: With the new system we no longer count the "carry on bags" in the cabin and thus their weight is not added to the final weight and balance numbers the pilots use.
Does this save time? Not sure the reasoning behind using a system that would get you less exact information.. One would think they would want it more exact and would be adding a scale built into the floor when you board moving forward
Old May 16, 2013, 8:14 pm

This is indeed coming from the Feds. Some FAs are just stricter than others on enforcement. A roll aboard bag is supposed to be gate checked. Apparently the FAA audited ExpressJet and fined them a few months back for allowing them on board thus the policy change.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by g-code
This is indeed coming from the Feds. A roll aboard bag is supposed to be gate checked.
Do you have a source for this information?
Old May 17, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by GregMM
I believe the deal here is that every airline has their own carry on rules, which are submitted to the FAA. And the FAA enforces those rules. The carry on rules then influence weight and balance checks. So that's why the FAA cares.

The part about whether the personal item can have wheels or not seems ambiguous.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:47 pm

So, there's nothing published anywhere that we can see that says that rollaboards have to be checked, or that bags over a certain size have to be checked, so we're at the mercy of the airport staff. Wonderful.
Old May 18, 2013, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by GregMM
This is indeed coming from the Feds. A roll aboard bag is supposed to be gate checked.
Yes, from another forum:

We just got a bulletin about results of the recent FAA audit - here is the verbiage regarding the findings on the bags:

Baggage Policy
It was documented that Flight Attendants were not following the “No Carry On” policy by allowing items larger than personal items (i.e., large suitcases/rollaboard bags) in the cabin on the EMB135/145 and CRJ200.
The CRJ-200, EMB-135 and EMB-145 aircraft operate under a No Carry-On Bag
policy. Only carry-on items defined as personal items are permitted to be transported
in the aircraft cabin provided they can be properly stowed. Carry-on items defined as carry-on bags are not permitted to be transported in the passenger cabin. They must be planeside/gate claim-tagged and stowed in the cargo compartment. Refer to FAM 8–14.1 for the Company policy on Carry-On Baggage.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:40 pm

Yes, from another forum:
Great, thanks! Do you know which operator(s) this applies to?
Old May 18, 2013, 7:46 pm

I'm not sure to be honest. Not an FA either so I can't really say where the line is. I think it is intentionally vague in its language, so YMMV as to what the FA will allow. I've seen them overridden by the Captain and the item allowed on, but it is quite rare. If a Captain or First Officer writes up a Flight Attendant for being over zealous (which happens once in a while), there is some potential blowback involved.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:59 pm

I meant which United Express operators (SkyWest, Mesa, etc.)
Old May 19, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Yes, from another forum:

We just got a bulletin about results of the recent FAA audit - here is the verbiage regarding the findings on the bags:

Baggage Policy
It was documented that Flight Attendants were not following the “No Carry On” policy by allowing items larger than personal items (i.e., large suitcases/rollaboard bags) in the cabin on the EMB135/145 and CRJ200.
policy. Only carry-on items defined as personal items are permitted to be transported
in the aircraft cabin provided they can be properly stowed. Carry-on items defined as carry-on bags are not permitted to be transported in the passenger cabin. They must be planeside/gate claim-tagged and stowed in the cargo compartment. Refer to FAM 8–14.1 for the Company policy on Carry-On Baggage.
What's the logic in trying to define a bag's identification as carry-on vs personal item before getting on the plane rather than simply defining it as what fits overhead or underneath the seat? If I take my small carry-on with wheels, put it in a duffle bag - it's now a personal item? A straight "one bag only" policy would at least be more honest.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:12 am

It would, but this comes from the FAA...a lot of things don't make sense coming from them. It's weight and balance related.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Baggage Policy
So I guess my question still stands:
Is my larger, computer-carrying, backpack-style bag that also holds all of my clothes and can be properly stowed in the overhead on any RJ considered a "carry-on" or a "personal item"?

If the former, then I should avoid flying the ERJs and CR2s -- if the latter, all is well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.