Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
True, although I have great confidence that James Fallows has carefully researched this story."Security" is causing a lot of strange behavior in air travel today.
Carefully researched? He's just passing along an email an anonymous reader sent him. Not to say he'd post anything he knew to be false, but I doubt the fact checking went any further than just reading the email and posting it.

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
If the parents are that concerned about what their kids watch, provide the kids with their own entertainment options screened by those parents. Don't depend on the airline to do so. @:-)
That's not the point -- it's not that I want my kids to be entertained...

It's rather that when you have kids in the 3-10 year old range, it is nearly impossible to make them NOT watch something that is being broadcast through the cabin. Short of holding your hands over their eyes for a 1.5-2 hour movie, they're going to try to watch it -- even more so when you ask them not to...

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
True, although I have great confidence that James Fallows has carefully researched this story."Security" is causing a lot of strange behavior in air travel today.
We know Fallows only heard one side of the story.

But we also know the pilot didn't come out of the cockpit to deal with this so whatever he was told was relayed by a flight attendant.

I don't know what happened, but Fallows' story sounds too tame to be true. My belief is that the parent turned into a flaming ****, thus making a scene that was worse for the child than letting them watch the movie.

Originally Posted by GBadger

It's rather that when you have kids in the 3-10 year old range, it is nearly impossible to make them NOT watch something that is being broadcast through the cabin. Short of holding your hands over their eyes for a 1.5-2 hour movie, they're going to try to watch it -- even more so when you ask them not to...
Not if you give them something else to focus on, like a portable DVD player or a tablet.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Apr 2, 2013 at 9:47 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment

Exactly

And their minds are sponges..
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
I am split on the movie choice - can't comment on that particular movie, but on the otherhand I think children's movies for a flight where 99% of the plane is over the age of 21 is also There should be a happy medium.
Two things here:
1) I don't think anyone is advocating for "children's movies". I agree that there are "happy medium" types of movies that aren't a cartoon and also don't involve a huge amount of violence. I simply don't believe that there have to be guns, blood and torture for a movie to be considered good (and if you read the reviews on Alex Cross, most people don't think this movie is good even with all of those things...)
2) I doubt that there are very many flights where 99% of the plane is over 21. That's less than 2 minors on a 150 seat aircraft.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
DTV=Voluntary access.. easily parentally controlled.. Drop down cabin wide IFE = forced consumption.. adults have the ability to tune out... Kids are mesmerized by moving images..
Yes, I got that. The point is that it's hard to keep kids from inappropriate content, even if it isn't on the big screen. However, on a plane there's no place to go if there's inappropriate content to keep your kids away from it. So really, if you are flying with family, you may be screwed from the word go. Kicking people off the plane when they are looking for any accommodation, is a disproportionate response where the FA's and captain should be showing a little compassion.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
When you take children out in public, they are going to be exposed to the world. Deal with it. That's what parenting is supposed to be about.

It is quickly going to get out of hand with surveys on raising screens and what should be shown.

Propose all children be placed in the back of the plane and watch the complaining start that you are discriminating against kids.

UA needs an objective standard on what it can show on airplanes or we will all be watching Mary Poppins every flight. I don't think showing PG-13 films is out of order.
I agree. The whole notion of completely shielding children under 18 would only end up worse for the kid because they're fully exposed at 18, but no one would've explained to them the potential harm.

Absolutely nothing wrong with PG13 movies.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:32 am

Not if you give them something else to focus on, like a portable DVD player or a tablet.
Kids will watch what they want to watch, but the odds are good that if you ask them to not watch one thing and instead watch another -- the one that you ask them to not pay attention to is the one that they're going to fixate on.

Can you provide a good reason that a movie with this level of violence needs to be shown on the overhead monitors on an airplane? It seems that there are good reasons not to show it in that setting...

Originally Posted by 787fan
I agree. The whole notion of completely shielding children under 18 would only end up worse for the kid because they're fully exposed at 18, but no one would've explained to them the potential harm.

Absolutely nothing wrong with PG13 movies.
Have you seen Alex Cross?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 2013 at 9:43 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Boy I can see why you need a flame proof suit here
No one has commented on if raising the screen is possible.. and the fact that other users of the screen did not mind..
Since everyone is involuntarily exposed to the material on the plane it must meet the lowest common denominator .. Or there must be a region of the plane where the screens can not be viewed..
I think this is the real crux of the issue, not necessarily the kid issue. Is it possible to raise an individual screen? What about covering the screen, particularly since folks around them didn't seem to mind?

And did the pilot over-react? What we will never know is the veracity of the writer's claim that everyone was calm and having a civil discussion; and what transpired between the FA(s) and the pilot to get to the point of a diversion.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
From the first paragraph of the "Alex Cross" review in The New York Times:

"Women are something of an endangered sex in “Alex Cross”: one, half-dressed in black lingerie, dies after all her fingers are methodically snipped off. Another is similarly tortured to death; a third is shot straight through the chest."

Read the withering review in full herehttp://movies.nytimes.com/2012/10/19...detective.html. Though the question isn't whether "Alex Cross" is a crummy movie. The question is whether it's an appropriate movie - even in edited form - to expose to a captive audience including not just little kids but also adults who would rather not see such content in a confined setting.

Having not seen the UA-edited version of "Alex Cross," I suspect that it is not unlike "Law & Order: SVU." 'Clean' enough for broadcast TV but still loaded with violent imagery - women being beaten, children bound and gagged, people begging for their lives at gunpoint. Why someone at UA thought "Alex Cross," edited or not, was a good film to show to a confined space full of people is beyond me. Probably because it was the cheapest film they could buy.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:38 am

I don't think anyone is advocating for "children's movies". I agree that there are "happy medium" types of movies that aren't a cartoon and also don't involve a huge amount of violence. I simply don't believe that there have to be guns, blood and torture for a movie to be considered good (and if you read the reviews on Alex Cross, most people don't think this movie is good even with all of those things...)
Good luck finding a happy medium. What you think is a happy medium another parent will claim is going to cause their child autism. When you go down this road you will end-up at the lowest common denominator. And then some people will still complain.

I doubt that there are very many flights where 99% of the plane is over 21. That's less than 2 minors on a 150 seat aircraft.
I think we are only concerned here with kids over three and under 13. That is generally going to be a fairly small number unless you are going to Orlando.

Can you provide a good reason that a movie with this level of violence needs to be shown on the overhead monitors on an airplane? It seems that there are good reasons not to show it in that setting...
Because it is rated PG-13, was probably edited down from that, and you have to have an objective standard.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I mostly disagree with your previous comments, but agree completely that the best way to handle it is to give the kids something else that will take their attention. Worked beautifully on our most recent trip last week.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I think there are two different issues. The pilot clearly overreacted with the diversion. I hope UA management deals with it appropriately.

As to the film, I imagine procedures prohibited closing the screen. But if all watching that screen were on the same page about the content something else creative could have been done like covering it for the duration of the flight without having to get the FAs/pursur involved.

Even if parents have brought an alternate form of entertainment it can be hard to ignore the screen right in your face.

Beyond the violence in Alex Cross, also surprised that no one has mentioned the greater sin of making everyone on the plane look at a movie with a 12% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I'm not defending Alex Cross in particular (it's a pretty bad movie) but my view is that a parent's job is to deal with situations outside of your control like this.

Of course you may not want your young kid watching violent/sexually suggestive movies at a young age. You can control what they watch in the house, but it's a big world out there and they will be exposed to it.

As a role model, you can either make a huge fuss on the plane demanding that they turn off the movie for the entire plane and get yourself kicked off the plane, or you can do actual parenting and calmly try to help them make sense of it.

[Stuff] happens in the real world. I think catching snippets of a violent movie is hardly the worst thing that can happen to a kid. That said, I'm not going to show my kids hard core R rated movies, but this mentality that they must be protected at all costs is IMHO actually more harmful and makes a worse role model.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 2013 at 9:42 am Reason: profanity is not allowed on this site
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I think this is the real crux of the issue, not necessarily the kid issue. Is it possible to raise an individual screen? What about covering the screen, particularly since folks around them didn't seem to mind?
So you want to take a survey on every flight of every person who can view a screen? That sounds like the beginning of a nightmare as people start arguing about whether to have the screen up or down.

And I simply don't believe that every single person with a view of that screen was agreeable to having it raised. That doesn't sound credible at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.