Wiki Posts
Search

Name on International Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Name on International Ticket

I booked some award tickets on partner airline SAS. I had one where I had two seats reserved and on hold. I called back later in the day to purchase it with the miles. It turned out that the first rep did not put my middle name on the ticket just the middle initial. My passport and United profile has my middle name so the second rep said should could not finalize it.

We wound up canceling it and they were able to get the same award saver luckily.

So I looked at another award booking and another one has just my middle initial. This is a return from CPH to EWR (booked as one way). The rep said I might have an issue getting on the plane in CPH since my passport has my full middle name and the ticket is only the middle initial.

I am concerned if we cancel and try to rebook, I will not get it.

Does anyone know if I will have an issue?

thanks,

Mike

Last edited by rinconmike; Mar 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rinconmike
.... So I looked at another award booking and another one has just my middle initial. This is a return from CPH to EWR (booked as one way). The rep said I might have an issue getting on the plane in CPH since my passport has my full middle name and the ticket is only the middle initial.
Does anyone know if I will have an issue?....
IME, no
Prior to the recent PreCheck activities, my tickets and passport regularly had this difference and never had an issue (although have never been to CPH). It might be an issue for PreCheck (others have said it isn't) of GlobalEntry, so i corrected the situation in the past year. So, if you don't have PreCheck or GE, I would not worry at all.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

thanks. Funny thing is I fly weekly round trip from EWR to SJU and I use Pre-check and do have Global Entry but do not need it for that. The boarding pass always says Last/First Middle Initial. But I book online and my profile does have my middle name in it (not just initial).

However, on this award travel, I booked by calling. I have several bookings as I am trying to get better routes for four of us by doing two and two.

On several of them, it does have me as FIRSTMIDDLE and then Last. Middle is spelled out and not initial. However, on this one itinerary, they put just my middle initial. I am just concerned about getting on the plane in Denmark if their security or anyone will have an issue. I figure customs in Newark will not care what is on the boarding pass once I return.

UA says they cannot change it since it is a partner airline. I will try and call SAS tomorrow and see what they say.

thanks.

Mike
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wouldn't worry about it - my passport and DL has my middle name and my tickets have never included my middle name, domestic or international.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Don't worry about it. I've flown tickets with several variations of my name (First and Last, First Middle Initial Last, or First Full Middle Last) and have never had a problem.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:26 am

You should have no problem at all. My wife has a far worse problem -- she goes by her middle name, so her tickets, even international, often have LastName/MiddleName whereas her passport says FirstMiddle Last, and yet we've never had a problem even with that, which is far more extreme: her legal first name doesn't even appear on the ticket, but does appear on all her ID.

Recall that the only person who actually gets to compare is the airline CSR who looks at your passport. By the time you get to immigration on the far end, for example, they don't know or care what's on your ticket, as they only see your passport. And the checkin CSR is usually far too busy to wonder if there is a middle initial/middle name mismatch.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Starman
Recall that the only person who actually gets to compare is the airline CSR who looks at your passport. By the time you get to immigration on the far end, for example, they don't know or care what's on your ticket, as they only see your passport. And the checkin CSR is usually far too busy to wonder if there is a middle initial/middle name mismatch.
I have had immigration agents in some countries ask for my boarding pass on arrival. Even so, never had an issue because of it.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:08 pm

Name Spelling Issues - United will not change name

Want to see if any one ever have this happen to them?

United attaches the title to the first name on the ticket. So the ticket for Mr. John Doe, would appear as DOE/JOHNMR.

Any one had issues because of that on international travel?

Last edited by Max Tod; Apr 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Max Tod
.... Do you think I will have a problem traveling? ....
no -- this is a common issue

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...al-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-e-ticket.html
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
For starters, I would ask them to edit the secure flight information to have your correct first name. Secondly, I thought that with the whole name alignment thing, they were allowing changes to tickets. You may want to call back and try again with a different agent.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
No - this has happened to a ton of people, including myself, since UA's badly-executed change.

Be aware however - you will be unable to check-in online. And you will most likely be unable to check-in at a kiosk, unassisted. When the scanned passport name doesn't match the ticket, it now kicks up a "Your itinerary requires assistance from a United representative" message.

Overseas, expect the agents to have a similar problem. Checking in for my return in SIN, they had to call a supervisor over, and ended up writing "Name Should be: ..." in blue ink on my boarding pass!

Nonetheless, I had no problems boarding any of my flights, nor clearing customs/immigration. But UA really screwed the pooch on this one!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:16 pm

Saw this on the website: "Your title or your middle initial will be attached to your first name on your boarding pass. This is normal and does not need to be changed unless your title or middle initial is incorrect.". I guess its OK.

Very stupid if you ask me. On the same page it says that it MUST MATCH your identification.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
For starters, I would ask them to edit the secure flight information to have your correct first name. Secondly, I thought that with the whole name alignment thing, they were allowing changes to tickets. You may want to call back and try again with a different agent.
Tried three times..... they are willing to change it on their ticket. But my itinerary has LOT Airlines and Turkish Airlines. They can't change those......
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darlox
No - this has happened to a ton of people, including myself, since UA's badly-executed change.
Except that I have this problem on Delta and US...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Darlox

Be aware however - you will be unable to check-in online. And you will most likely be unable to check-in at a kiosk, unassisted.
The general OLCI issue isn't related to the name/spelling issues, it has to do with the frequency of the passport being scanned. And on the rare times I have to use a kiosk (or my wife) it hasn't ever been an issue. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.