Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Delayed-airport conditions preventing departure" & resulting UA service mishaps '13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Delayed-airport conditions preventing departure" & resulting UA service mishaps '13

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
DC-10s?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JC5280
Case in point: engines can't be swapped on DC-10s either at the gate or with passengers on the plane.
Why not? And says who? Rules differ from carrier to carrier, airport to airport. You may be right in some cases, completely wrong in others.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Point taken, but an engine swap is a solid half day of work for the wing mounted engines. And that wouldnt be done with passengers on board. If it were #3 it definitely would need a maintainance hangar.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Why not? And says who? Rules differ from carrier to carrier, airport to airport. You may be right in some cases, completely wrong in others.
The FAA for one. No way you're going to replace an engine and then simply take off with passengers on-board. Even in the days of the DC-10.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Fair point. So, what are "airport conditions" ?
Just got in to DEN after an "airport conditions" delay. In our case that translated to 45 minute delay awaiting connecting passengers. Apparently we were waiting for 17 folks from the Frankfurt flight to make their way over to our departure gate...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
airport conditions = the rug that you sweep everything under, or the dustbin of excuses
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
The FAA for one. No way you're going to replace an engine and then simply take off with passengers on-board. Even in the days of the DC-10.
Really, then it will be easy for you to cite the proper FAA rule that prohibits it. I'll wait.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:51 am

JC5280, In racking my brain trying to remember more details from the incident from the late 1970s, I believe that we were at the gate on the DC-10 for about 4-5 hours while MX serviced the engine. It was then annouced that the engine would be replaced and that they were working on that. After another two hours or so while MX was working on replacing the engine - no doubt simply the first phases of that process - it was anounced that a replacement DC-10 had been located and we moved. So yes, we were at the gate, and they work \on replacing the engine at the gate. That doesn't mean that the entire process was finished at the gate, but it might have been, and it certainly doesn't mean that I lied in telling you the story, the point of which, if one reads the thread, is relating to the story of the pilot narrating the King Kong movies which was related to docbert's Godzilla comment.

The passengers were quite happy to be sitting on the aircraft rather than sitting at the gate. Extra catering was brought aboard and our stomach's were full. We all knew it was the last scheduled service of the day and we also knew that a massive blizard was on its way to Chicago. We wanted no chance of not being on the aircraft the moment it was declared fit for service. Likewise, the Captain wanted to get back to Cleveland; he was missing the turkey leftovers.

I would be interested in know in what way the airline violated FAA rules - rules of the late 1970s.

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 22, 2013 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I so love rants like this.

The connection from Airport conditions to having it being able to only mean weather is a stretch for somebody who hardly flies, let along somebody who throws around their value to the airline.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by docbert
You may wish to look at the handle of the person you are arguing against before asserting yourself so forcefully
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by cordelli

The connection from Airport conditions to having it being able to only mean weather is a stretch for somebody who hardly flies, let along somebody who throws around their value to the airline.
Maybe it's the Big Data world we inhabit, but flyers - like the OP - make the mistake of taking a published reason for a delay, such as "WEATHER," treating the announcement like tablets handed down from on high, and then getting upset when he sees the sun shining outside.

This isn't going to go over well with some precincts, but I compare UA's operational relationship with its passengers to my operational relationship with my 5-year-old son.

United exists to transport its passengers safely while turning a profit. Whether or not the airline tells you the "truth" about every factor in every delay is immaterial. In the same vein, I don't tell my child about every operational detail in our house. I share just enough to keep things running.

And bear in mind that a gate agent or flight attendant (or pilot) may only have a fraction of the full knowledge needed to make a "truthful" statement. fastair makes this point frequently - that it's only the zone controllers and ops center people who really have the "God's eye" that sees all the factors going into a delay.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cordelli

+1 - Somehow there are those who believe that they are due a full briefing by UA's chief pilot and chief engineer as to every aspect of every flight. "Airport Conditions" could mean that a tug broke down in the alley, blocking 6 gates, that there is construction on a taxiway, that there is a wind shift requiring restacking the entire departure queue or any combination.

OP should absolutely take his business to DL or US (AA after the acquisition & name change) because those there's no construction on taxiways used by those two carriers.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Somehow there are those who believe that they are due a full briefing by UA's chief pilot and chief engineer as to every aspect of every flight. "Airport Conditions" could mean that a tug broke down in the alley, blocking 6 gates, that there is construction on a taxiway, that there is a wind shift requiring restacking the entire departure queue or any combination.

OP should absolutely take his business to DL or US (AA after the acquisition & name change) because those there's no construction on taxiways used by those two carriers.
Here is what UA's website says about UA's policy on keeping customers informed.

We work hard to get you to your destination on time, as scheduled. There may be times when weather, air traffic control, operational or service considerations lead to flight delays, cancellations or diversions. When this happens we will make available the most current, accurate information about your flight’s status that we have. This includes providing information about a change in the status of a flight to, from or within the United States within 30 minutes after becoming aware of a flight cancellation, a flight delay of 30 minutes or more in the planned operation of a flight or a flight diversion. We may use one or more of several ways to communicate this information, such as: providing information in the boarding gate area of a flight, on airport flight status display boards, upon request via phone with United Reservations, in flight status updates on united.com and, for our subscribed customers, voice and email alerts.
I don't see "airport conditions" on that list. I see weather, ATC, operational or service considerations.

weather is weather - we all know that that means. same thing for an ATC delay. Operational considerations I would guess means awaiting a flight crew or the actual airframe to arrive at the gate. service consideration? I'm guessing MX, food, cargo. So if UA says on it's web page those are the factors that may impact a flight delay, why can't they tell passengers at the gate which of those factors apply, instead of the vague "airport conditions?"
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Mishaps

mishapes --> mishaps

Now I feel better. That thread title was driving me NUTS!!!

-S
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So, last Friday we boarded an IAD-DEN flight in a surprisingly efficient fashion. The full 757 was boarded with 10 minutes to spare, and we thought great, no problem with our connection in DEN - then the fun began. First, the Captain came on to tell us that we'd be departing late because there was a problem with "the paperwork." For the next 30 minutes, the GA's kept coming on board paging different passengers. Finally, 20 minutes after scheduled departure, the Captain came on and said we'd be pushing back once he received his paperwork from Chicago. Ten minutes later, we pushed back and headed to 18L. Once we got there, we pulled off to the side, and the Captain said he'd have another short delay while he waited for his weight and balance paperwork.

So while we were waiting, I checked UA.com, and of course, our flight was "delayed-airport conditions preventing departure."

They should just be honest and say "Delayed due to airline IT incompetence."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.