Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does UA expect to compete with 2-4-2 Business Class configurations for 777s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does UA expect to compete with 2-4-2 Business Class configurations for 777s?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swm61230
Again would you rather have more business seats or less. Less upgrades and more expensive seats as they have less seats to sell and upgrade.
Which aircraft are you referring to?

sCO 772 50 BF
sUA 772 40 BF

sCO 764 39 BF
sUA 763 26 BF

I am no fan of the sCO seat, but the numbers are what they are.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Well I do not know what they are doing.. But tonight's LAX-SYD-MEL is booked at capacity all revenue.. 35 are checked in at the moment and since I am #1 on UG list I am hoping some one gets stuck in traffic (sorry...)

Now Work was going to put me in BF for this trip but UA wanted 10K return (ex ORD) so I got told to go coach or don't go..

So say what you will.. First law of economics: The price is the price people are willing to pay not the value of the product.

Tonight is going to be a good revenue night for UA on UA839 (GF is also full.. Y is at ~80% load judging by seat map)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
By collecting your UA point on AC pods.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
So say what you will.. First law of economics: The price is the price people are willing to pay not the value of the product.
^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Smile

we all just wanna know whether you made the cut or not?!?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Kacee

sCO 772 50 BF
sUA 772 40 BF

sCO 764 39 BF
sUA 763 26 BF

These are not apples to apples comparisons.

Remove Int'l F from sUA 777 and add 16 (UA style) C seats, you get 56.

I believe that the 764 is a bigger plane than the 763.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
These are not apples to apples comparisons.
They are apples to apples when the issue is number of BF seats available for upgrade; the post I was responding to was complaining that the sCO aircraft have fewer BF seats than their sUA counterparts. The fact is they have more.

Otherwise, I agree, the cabins are not directly comparable.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:52 am

They are apples to apples when the issue is number of BF seats available for upgrade; the post I was responding to was complaining that the sCO aircraft have fewer BF seats than their sUA counterparts. The fact is they have more.

Otherwise, I agree, the cabins are not directly comparable.
The post you were responding to wasn't complaining about that. A general statement was made about UAL having less seats for upgrades in the current config vs. one that wasn't 2-4-2. Re-read what you quoted.

Originally Posted by mike1968
In terms of seat only, I find the BA and PmUA my two favorites and very comfortable. Best sleeping I've had and no need for weeks of chiro adjustment after getting back from Asia.

Given BA was out first, I think UAs main error was being stuck in the mindset all the seats had to face in one direction in conventional rows vs the BA staggered approach, or the AC angled stagger that came out soon after UA...although I would not fly that AC seat again as it's not comfortable for an Asia trip

The BA is still 8 across, but the layout means you get that tray under your neighbors seat which is perfect for gadgets and glasses...the front/back thing is a bit weird the first time. The middle 4 have at least the illusion of more shoulder room, but not sure as never sat there.

even on Austrian, they in essence have a 4 seat center on the 767, albeit very subtle the way the seats are offset facing forward (I.e., seat is about same width as ua or BA and I may be only one, but didn't find them as comfortable despite the increased personal around the seat space
UAL and B/E looked into such a configuration, but it was patented by BA as their own proprietary setup. I heard there was a similar configuration wherein all the 777/747 would be 2-4-2, with the center section having forward/forward/reverse/reverse, but it was tossed away early because it was cost (lack of commonality in the base unit) and space prohibitive.

Last edited by tuolumne; Oct 21, 2014 at 1:01 am
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I do transpac RT about 15 times a year, and IMHO, neither are perfect, but I give the edge to PMCO seats for its width, more aisle seats and space for personal items.

I ignore PMUA 777 and 747 Lower deck as much as my schedule would allow. I am a loyal PMUA flyer, and would defend PMUA as much as many die-hards in this forum, but I cannot defend PMUA C configuration other than the upper deck of 744.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 21, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Well I do not know what they are doing.. But tonight's LAX-SYD-MEL is booked at capacity all revenue.. 35 are checked in at the moment and since I am #1 on UG list I am hoping some one gets stuck in traffic (sorry...)

Now Work was going to put me in BF for this trip but UA wanted 10K return (ex ORD) so I got told to go coach or don't go..

Tonight is going to be a good revenue night for UA on UA839 (GF is also full.. Y is at ~80% load judging by seat map)
Honestly, right now, when I have a budget for business, I try to go for the value. And from what I found, United doesn't have a good value.

Case in point: coming back from SIN. United was $1000 more for the trip than TK, and was priced out for me. A few options were even cheaper, but TK worked best. So, I will give TK a spin. The only thing less good is that their seat is not 180 degrees flat, just 159 (still beats Y though). But then I get to stop in IST and see some of the city.

They may also beat United on food (other C I had the chance to take - BA, SQ, OZ, CA, AF - they all did better than United there). I don't know.

How they can sell at that price baffles me a bit when these alternatives are known.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Oh, I may add that despite having my MP number on file, TK sent me an email to sell me on Miles & Smiles.

Given my travel patterns, that won't work, but that certainly made me smile.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:19 am

sCO 772 50 BF
sUA 772 40 BF

sCO 764 39 BF
sUA 763 26 BF

Slight correction there's actually 30 BF seats on the sUA 763. 29 sellable on certain flights since 1 is blocked for crew rest on long haul flights.

Oops just now realized you most likely were referring to the 3-cabin 763 and not the 2-cabin one.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; Oct 21, 2014 at 7:35 am
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I do transpac RT about 15 times a year, and IMHO, neither are perfect, but I give the edge to PMCO seats for its width, more aisle seats and space for personal items.

I ignore PMUA 777 and 747 Lower deck as much as my schedule would allow. I am a loyal PMUA flyer, and would defend PMUA as much as many die-hards in this forum, but I cannot defend PMUA C configuration other than the upper deck of 744.
+1

on the 777, 6B is the best J seat.... even though the window passenger will have to climb over a couple times and wake me up.

The AA 1-2-1 config is far superior for J ... just like UA int'l F but not quite as spacious.

There is something to be said for having aisle access without the possibility of another passenger having to climb over to get out. I would find a way to fly GF, unless I could get J on PMCO 2-1-2 config when I get a seat in that middle column.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
+1

on the 777, 6B is the best J seat.... even though the window passenger will have to climb over a couple times and wake me up.

The AA 1-2-1 config is far superior for J ... just like UA int'l F but not quite as spacious.

There is something to be said for having aisle access without the possibility of another passenger having to climb over to get out. I would find a way to fly GF, unless I could get J on PMCO 2-1-2 config when I get a seat in that middle column.
I was in the aisle seat and the guy next to me climbed over me at least twice every hour to get out. Once, he fell on my legs and I cried out in pain. I guess it was my own fault for actually wanting to sleep during the 14-hour flight.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
UAL and B/E looked into such a configuration, but it was patented by BA as their own proprietary setup. I heard there was a similar configuration wherein all the 777/747 would be 2-4-2, with the center section having forward/forward/reverse/reverse, but it was tossed away early because it was cost (lack of commonality in the base unit) and space prohibitive.

I would like to know how AA and other airlines can "afford" to give their business class seats direct aisle access.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by TENYKS
I would like to know how AA and other airlines can "afford" to give their business class seats direct aisle access.
I believe quite a few airlines have international business class seats with direct aisle access including DL, CX, LX, AA, VS and even BA (sort of). Now UA needs to consider the competition and see if they can "afford" not to have planes with direct aisle access for business class passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.