Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold

Did a search, but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this is elsewhere...

Planning a trip to OGG in October. Last week I was excited to see that the non-stop IAD-HNL would be on the reconfigured 767-400ER with lie-flats by then.

Checked today, and now it looks like the direct flight doesn't even exist starting in September? It's still in the timetables, but not available for purchase.

Anyone have any insight on this? Is the flight really going away?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

If true, that sure didn't last long. Perhaps it is going seasonal?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Hmmm, I see non-stop on Saturdays only for Oct-Nov.
Everyday starting Dec. So yes, seems like a seasonal route now.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: United Gold
I've done the nonstop IAD-HNL three times this year and the plane has been very empty. A lot of passengers in the back had the whole middle row to themselves and they were taking advantage of that by lying down, makes me wonder if I should have used my RPUs to upgrade instead of just grabbing an empty row in E. Hopefully they don't get rid of this flight altogether because I would miss visiting the LH Senator lounge.

Is there somewhere online where they keep track of the loads on that flight?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AZjohns
Hmmm, I see non-stop on Saturdays only for Oct-Nov.
Everyday starting Dec. So yes, seems like a seasonal route now.
Wow...that's quite a drop from daily to 1x week. Was planning to travel Friday...might be able to do Saturday - will think about it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Maybe there's a reason why this was the only PMUA hub without a flight to the islands....
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Pity Ive flown on it twice, its nice picking up the extra miles doing JFK-IAD-HNL Plus I liked the timing of the flights better then the EWR flights

Looks like I will be back to JFK-SFO-HNL where for now at least they offer a few flights on the 767/777 anything but the 738/757s

A bigger blow will be if HA pulls out of JFK then Fares will skyrocket again. Seems UA was simply matching HAs fares , so HA probably was having problems filling its flight. Dont know why they dont go after the NY-SYD/MEL mkt and position the NY flights times to the OZ flights and even Japan, offering folks a free stopover in HI.

Sort of surprised that EWR has a NS. Most folks would rather fly 1/3 the time and go to the Carribean from the NE. HI is better for WC people.

For me its simply MRing and spending a few days R&Ring

Last edited by craz; Mar 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hobo13
Maybe there's a reason why this was the only PMUA hub without a flight to the islands....
Most people in the DC area who want to escape to warm climates don't go to Hawaii. Why would you want to go 10 hours away when in 3-4 hours you are in the Caribbean?

I thought it was a dumb route when it was announced, and apparently it was.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Most people in the DC area who want to escape to warm climates don't go to Hawaii. Why would you want to go 10 hours away when in 3-4 hours you are in the Caribbean?

I thought it was a dumb route when it was announced, and apparently it was.
would that apply to EWR?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
would that apply to EWR?
Which is why I think HA will eventually pull out of JFK and the fares will go back up to pre-HA levels. Nobody can be making money on $450.00rt's on that route.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:34 pm

I've been on this flight twice and it's been packed and I have another one coming up in April that also looks very full. Late August until the week before Christmas is a very slow travel season for Hawaii in general so it makes sense to cut back the flights during this period. However, the non-stops re-appear in late December so it seems they are not discontinued, only "seasonally-adjusted."

BTW-as someone from the DC area, the Caribbean is NOT a first choice "warm" destination for most residents.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Just came off HNL-IAD & it was fully booked as was the IAD-HNL last Thursday.

Don't think any F were available for CPU
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bk3day
Just came off HNL-IAD & it was fully booked as was the IAD-HNL last Thursday.

Don't think any F were available for CPU
There are no CPUs on the iAD-HNL flight

The flights can be packed I flew via IAD on a $449 out of JFK, so if they are packed due to the fare war out of NY, doesnt mean they are making any $$$ on the flight, all it says is the flight is full. And if they arent making any $$ no sense flying it.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So essentially, CO took over and thought they knew more about what routes would work from UA hubs than UA knew themselves.....

And now they retreat.

Yes we've been told on these forums, repeatedly, about how much better CO is analyzing the profitability of a route, rightsizing equipment, and all that jazz.

Wonder how that 737 on SIN-HKG is working out....
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
So essentially, CO took over and thought they knew more about what routes would work from UA hubs than UA knew themselves.....

And now they retreat.

Yes we've been told on these forums, repeatedly, about how much better CO is analyzing the profitability of a route, rightsizing equipment, and all that jazz.

Wonder how that 737 on SIN-HKG is working out....
I don't think this is a "retreat." The IAD/HNL non-stop was discontinued for a month or so last year too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.