Search

Handed a Recognition Card by Gate Agent

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, *G, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Handed a Recognition Card by Gate Agent

Experts-
I've done searching but to no avail. Today, on 746 from SNA to EWR, the gate agent boarded, came to my seat, asked for me by name, and handed me a greeting card of sorts. My name and seat number were hand-written on the front. The inside pre-printed message was, "Congratulations from United and MileagePlus. We appreciate your business and want to recognize you on this special occasion.". Written by hand was " Congratulations on over 15 years with us!"

This was a very nice gesture, and I am greatful. There did, however, appear to be slits on the left side wherein something could have been inserted. Was something supposed to be in there? I know I probably sound ungreatful; I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...

Thanks and safe travels,
Rob
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by robjorg
Experts-
I've done searching but to no avail. Today, on 746 from SNA to EWR, the gate agent boarded, came to my seat, asked for me by name, and handed me a greeting card of sorts. My name and seat number were hand-written on the front. The inside pre-printed message was, "Congratulations from United and MileagePlus. We appreciate your business and want to recognize you on this special occasion.". Written by hand was " Congratulations on over 15 years with us!"

This was a very nice gesture, and I am greatful. There did, however, appear to be slits on the left side wherein something could have been inserted. Was something supposed to be in there? I know I probably sound ungreatful; I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...

Thanks and safe travels,
Rob
Did he take out that $1000 UA Travel Certificate?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I was waiting for my flight from SJC to DEN last December and noticed the gate agent had a handful of small envelopes which I assumed were appreciation cards (with maybe a $100 voucher or some such item) to be given to local GS and 1K regulars on the flight. (I was a 1K at the time, but not expecting nor did I get one.)
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Did he take out that $1000 UA Travel Certificate?!?!?!?!?!?!
Yours was only $1k? Wow -- I must have lucked out .
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
This is really great to hear. While I am not seeing any change myself, I keep hearing more and more about UA treating their top tiers (GS and 1K) better these days. My guess is the focus on training and making front line staff aware of the value of these fliers is working.

We should give UA credit when credit is due!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
This is really great to hear. While I am not seeing any change myself, I keep hearing more and more about UA treating their top tiers (GS and 1K) better these days. My guess is the focus on training and making front line staff aware of the value of these fliers is working.

We should give UA credit when credit is due!
I'm inclined to agree in all respects.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Out of curiosity, what was the occasion? Had you been flying a lot every year for 15 years? Or did you fly a particularly round number of miles recently, like 1,000,000?

Originally Posted by robjorg
Haha, this is a question that could only come from an experienced United flyer.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, *G, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
No special occasion per se. Been 1K for several years, but this flight was no milestone to speak of... I'll tell ya though, for the two cents it cost them, it made an early morning and Y on a 757 that much better.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had one pmUA and I was only a Premier Exec. It was a thank you for your business deal, the slot had the station managers card, no goodie though.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
?? I have never got this card? and I have been with UA for 15 years and flown over 1MM
Oh well, all I can say is who cares...... my second choice of Airlines was Air Canada and they are horrific.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
God, 30 years with this program, pass my million miles on 3/10 and not a thanks, good luck or kiss my ---.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Over the years with pmUA I received a couple of cards from pilots and pursers thanking me for my business. I thought it was a very nice touch and it helped to keep my loyal to UA. Happy to see this returning.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boss315
God, 30 years with this program, pass my million miles on 3/10.
Congratulations on reaching Million Miler status!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by woodway
Over the years with pmUA I received a couple of cards from pilots and pursers thanking me for my business. I thought it was a very nice touch and it helped to keep my loyal to UA. Happy to see this returning.
I've gotten these a few times. There are one or two pilots that do this regularly- writing a personal note on their business card thanking 1k and GS on the flight for their loyalty. If I recall, always a UA 757 in my experience. I agree that it is a really nice gesture, and I actually keep them. Call me sentimental...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by woodway
Yes, still have a few of those personalized cards (signed by the Captain or purser) from my 1K flying days. It was definitely a nice touch. Personally, I find such gestures to be much more meaningful and don't understand why airlines don't employ it more often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.