Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Attendant Injuries Over Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Flight Attendant Injuries Over Pacific

17th February 2013 HKG-ORD F/A is injured on UA896

19th February 2013 SYD-SFO F/A is injured on UA870

Just curious, anyone on these flights? What's considered an "serious injury" for it to be newsworthy? Of all the years of flying, I've never experienced this on a flight (although maybe if it were to happen the crew would keep it quiet on board).

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever been on a flight where a fellow passenger or F/A experienced a major injury?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
17th February 2013 HKG-ORD F/A is injured on UA896

19th February 2013 SYD-SFO F/A is injured on UA870

Just curious, anyone on these flights? What's considered an "serious injury" for it to be newsworthy? Of all the years of flying, I've never experienced this on a flight (although maybe if it were to happen the crew would keep it quiet on board).

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever been on a flight where a fellow passenger or F/A experienced a major injury?
I've seen a few flights when turbulence caused some injuries. Remember in particular a flight on a LCC, maybe it was Vanguard Airlines, where pax and FA were thrown against the ceiling. Ambulance was waiting for us when we landed in ORD.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
The FAA has a similar function as OSHA does regarding workplace safety. If a flight attendant is hurt on a flight there are reporting responsibilities.

When its an international incoming flight there may be stricter reporting requirements.

Serious injury likely amounts to the FA needing some sort of medical attention when they land but not serious enough for them to make an emergency landing or divert the flight.

Likely cause would be flight turbulance throwing the FA attendant where they bruised a part of their body or something worse like fracture.

There may be reporting rules if the FA is hurt and they page the crew if a doctor is on board or when they land and the FA needs more medical attention beyond basic first aid like they page the on airport paramedics to come to the aircraft to check the FA.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
A reminder that being an FA is dangerous work. They are expected to perform tasks when the seatbelt sign is on, except when ordered otherwise by the cockpit.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
i remember flying HKG-NRT once (back when it was a 747 route...) and about 45 min outside of NRT, the captain warned of severe turbulence ahead and asked everyone to take their seats quickly and buckle up.

i was in seath 15H at the time (upper deck exit window) and the FA didn't sit down quickly enough, we hit the turbulence and he came crashing into me! neither of us was really hurt, but was pretty scary.

was listening to Channel 9 and the HNL-NRT 777 was landing in front of us and asked for medical help to meet the plane as 'several crew and passengers were injured.'

the two places in the world where i've experienced the most turbulence are on approach to Narita and over the Bay of Bengal (when flying Europe or India to Singapore...). these days 80% of my flights are transatlantic and rarely experience anything that severe.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Continited, DL, KLM/AF, AA, US, AS, AC, VS, LH, BA, QF, NH
This happened last June:

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-york/715919/1"]http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-york/715919/1

The badly injured FA wasn't taken to my hospital, but I heard about her injuries from some of the docs who work over there. I think I remember hearing that the beverage cart was also involved in the poor woman's journey between the ceiling and the deck. The injuries, as described, were significant.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had a rough back injury NRT-IAH 2 months ago. We had suspended meal service bec of turbulence. I was laying flat & saw my ipad flying up about of the cubby hole behind the seat. I reach to get it, had my belt to loose all just as we hit some bad turbulence. It took weeks to recover & I was just a passenger.

No, I didn't sue. It was my fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.