Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Predictions? 2/25 #6539 COS-ORD's arriving aircraft's flight canceled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Okay, what's likely to happen in this situation....

Tomorrow's #6539 COS-ORD (7:35am departure) is supposed to be on the aircraft that is today's #6369 DEN-COS. But that flight was canceled.

Tomorrow's flight status still shows normal. Is an aircraft likely to be ferried? Substituted? Any good guesses?

Not sure calling at this point will do any good, since tomorrow's flight is still showing on-time.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Is it possible the morning CRJ700 to DEN goes to ORD instead?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:27 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Could be a couple of things...

1. Yeah, they may cancel the flight. My experiences on them "figuring out" that there's no aircraft to fly it can take several hours or longer.

2. They'll pull an aircraft off of, perhaps COS-DEN, from the morning departures. (Or an IAH flight).

3. The plane is actually there already, and has been for several hours or a day. I see a bunch of COS-DEN flights canceled late Sunday...Maybe more to/from other hubs as well. Inbounds made it in to COS, but never made it out.

4. Sure, ferrying is an option...I've seen it before in inclement weather when they need to catch up at a non-hub station...Even here at lil' ol' MBS before.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Given that virtually everything else ex-COS is zeroed out tomorrow, I guess we'll just have to see....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Okay, what's likely to happen in this situation....

Tomorrow's #6539 COS-ORD (7:35am departure) is supposed to be on the aircraft that is today's #6369 DEN-COS. But that flight was canceled.

Tomorrow's flight status still shows normal. Is an aircraft likely to be ferried? Substituted? Any good guesses?

Not sure calling at this point will do any good, since tomorrow's flight is still showing on-time.

Thoughts?
I won't guess...I will go right to the source....

1) This is the crew's first flight of the day...out of COS....
2) the plane...N743SK....did cancel COS-DEN-COS tonight...BUT...it did sit in COS overnight after arriving from IAH....thus..the plane is in COS right now....
3) Conclusion...smooth sailing from COS to ORD on the 25th....

Have a nice day.....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd guess you're fine.

The plane is sitting in COS; the COS-DEN-COS was probably cancelled due to conditions in DEN (snow/wind = 32/hr AAR = 245 minute average delays) today rather than mechanical issues.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goingbananas
I won't guess...I will go right to the source....

1) This is the crew's first flight of the day...out of COS....
2) the plane...N743SK....did cancel COS-DEN-COS tonight...BUT...it did sit in COS overnight after arriving from IAH....thus..the plane is in COS right now....
3) Conclusion...smooth sailing from COS to ORD on the 25th....
Bless you.

I clearly didn't drill deep enough on "Where is this flight coming from?"
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Bless you.

I clearly didn't drill deep enough on "Where is this flight coming from?"
Honestly...I just logged into the SkyWest website and got the info...I am not sure it was available on united.com....
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
I'd guess you're fine.

The plane is sitting in COS; the COS-DEN-COS was probably cancelled due to conditions in DEN (snow/wind = 32/hr AAR = 245 minute average delays) today rather than mechanical issues.
And indeed he got out on time: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...435Z/KCOS/KORD
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Yes, he did

Thanks all.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
COS is a Skywest maintenance hub and many planes overnight there for the early block the next morning. I've seen them pull a spare out of the hangar for substitution.

Cancelling a COS-DEN-COS is becoming much more common these days as is the increase of 145s and Q400s in the schedule.

COS-ORD used to be all CR7 and now all I see are CR2s - no way in heck am I'm doing that. Nor will I consider the COS-IAH E145 either.

For awhile there I was getting excited to see the reduction in CR2s out of COS but I suppose that was just wishful thinking. I guess I'll be driving to DEN a lot more now. *sigh*
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Cancelling a COS-DEN-COS is becoming much 2s - no way in heck am I'm doing that. Nor will I consider the COS-IAH E145 either.
Actually, the COS-IAH 145 isn't all that bad if you can swing 12A. 12B&C are good if you have a companion. More than ample legroom on that exit row (unlike the RJ flavor of exit row). Of course that doesn't solve the IAH aspect of the equation...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrswirl
COS-ORD used to be all CR7 and now all I see are CR2s - no way in heck am I'm doing that.
The two COS-ORD flights this morning were CR7s

I'd MUCH rather ride in 12A of a 145 than ANY seat on a CRJ200.

The Q400s are awful in terms of reliability. There was once three days running when not a single Q400 flight to/from COS arrived/left on time.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
The two COS-ORD flights this morning were CR7s

I'd MUCH rather ride in 12A of a 145 than ANY seat on a CRJ200.

The Q400s are awful in terms of reliability. There was once three days running when not a single Q400 flight to/from COS arrived/left on time.
It seems to be jumping around a lot these days. I see many combinations of CR7, CR2 and 145s in the schedule for the near future.

I agree on the Q400 and refuse to book them. They're simply too unreliable.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Agreed on all counts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.