ITO upgrade chances?

Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
ITO upgrade chances?

Flying ITO-LAX in mid June (redeye obviously) with my daughter, and I'm wondering whether it's worth it to burn a CR-1 on this route. I've only flown it once before and cleared as a 1P. Does anyone have other data points suggesting this is an easy upgrade?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 am

The Hawaii to US west coast routes have usually been fairly easy CPU Upgrades as its mostly filled with non status price sensitive leisure flyers. I wouldn't burn an RPU if you have other uses for them.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
ITO upgrade chances?

The reduction on capacity to Hawaii (and smaller planes subs with far less FC seats) have made my upgrade go down from almost 100% to about 80% as 1K based in HNL. It basically depend on the days you fly (Thursday night from HNL tends to be bad for me).

I have no base point for ITO though, however I would not be extremely confident about getting a CPU as 1P, but also not overly negative.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
totally agree with 1KHI. If I were a 1P I would use a RPU on that route if R was showing positive. Heck I'd even do it as a 1K.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
as a 1P i have had poor success with CPU to/from HNL and fairly good luck to/from other islands. its CPU so it is unpredictable but my last flights SFO-KOA-SFO i cleared well in advance on both on a G fare.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

This is good to know. Thanks for the responses. I'm not too worried about my clearing as a 1K, but am a little more concerned about my daughter. Since she's 5, no way we can split the PNRs. I may burn the RPU (4 Rs available right now), take my chances, and yank her bank into Y if I don't get the upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LGACIC
This is good to know. Thanks for the responses. I'm not too worried about my clearing as a 1K, but am a little more concerned about my daughter. Since she's 5, no way we can split the PNRs. I may burn the RPU (4 Rs available right now), take my chances, and yank her bank into Y if I don't get the upgrade.
If I understand you your plan is to use a RPU for her and you hope you clear as a CPU. A couple of big problems 1- if a person wants to downgrade once they cleared then the same fare basis they originally purchased must be available,= booked a G but W is the cheapest avaialble = You cant Downgrade 2- you kid will be considered an UM if they arent in the same cabin as you are even if youre on the same flight and they will hit you up for the UM fees.

Then again that maybe how they will Downgrade her then, my advice is to do teh samething thing for both of You
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LGACIC
I tried to upgrade my with an RPU and my wife with a GPU (out of regionals) and was told they couldn't do it without splitting the record. I imagine it would be the same for just RPUing your daughter.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craz
1- if a person wants to downgrade once they cleared then the same fare basis they originally purchased must be available,= booked a G but W is the cheapest avaialble = You cant Downgrade
Unless the flight is almost completely full, all fare classes will open up between T-24 and T-3, so this might not be such a big issue.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Unless the flight is almost completely full, all fare classes will open up between T-24 and T-3, so this might not be such a big issue.
yes but the available seats to downgrade to at T-3 can be less than great.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the counsel. Will wait to see if an RPU EWR-SFO clears next month; if not, I'm leaning towards using the extra towards securing us both upgrades ahead of time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.