Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Mileageplus Explorer card coming to Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Mileageplus Explorer card coming to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Clipper801
With the rather lacklustre TD’s new Aeroplan Visa, any news on the previously rumoured UA Canadian credit card?
Haven't heard a thing. Given the plethora of cards in the Canadian market, UA MP's absence is strikingly conspicuous. It would almost make you wonder if something anti-competitive was going on.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:50 am

i'm not sure ua is worth getting anymore...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
i'm not sure ua is worth getting anymore...
If they bring the Chase United MileagePlus Club Visa that is available in the U.S. to Canada, I shall apply for one.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
If they bring the Chase United MileagePlus Club Visa that is available in the U.S. to Canada, I shall apply for one.
I really don't see the point for UA club card...I'd rather keep my CAN PLAT to get full PP and 1.25 MR / dollar.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Any news?

Is there a Canadian card that earns MileagePlus yet?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by gglave
Any news?

Is there a Canadian card that earns MileagePlus yet?
I think it's pretty unlikely, and UA isn't worth it at all mostly due to their devaluation.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I think it's pretty unlikely, and UA isn't worth it at all mostly due to their devaluation.
Care to back that 'unlikely' up with facts?

You mind letting people decide the worth of things to themselves?

Thanks for all your contributions.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I haven't heard any rumours of a United card, but Marriott did open a Canadian rewards card. I quite like it as it has no foreign exchange fees and gives you Cat 1-5 certs which is marginally less useful than the cat 1-4 certs you get with the American one.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

Well, considering the sheer scope of UA's presence in Canada, it does seem a little odd that there is no credit card available here that you can use to generate MP points. Especially considering that a multitude of US and other international airlines with a much smaller presence here have had affiliated cards for a long time.

Come to think of it, is there ANY * A member with an affiliated card in Canada? Unless I'm forgetting any, I can't think of one.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Come to think of it, is there ANY * A member with an affiliated card in Canada? Unless I'm forgetting any, I can't think of one.
AC
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

-It hasn't happened
-They'd be competing with AC
-I don't think collecting UA is worth it as in many cases AC is better.

That's why I said "I think." I never said it as fact, but rather, opinion.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I don't think collecting UA is worth it as in many cases AC is better.
Many Air Canada Altitude members are unhappy with the changes that have been announced to the AC program, so as of January 1st, 2015 they're moving their spend to United & MileagePlus.

I'm one of them.

So it would be nice if there was a UA card in Canada so we could put our credit card-spend earnings and flight earnings into one bucket.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
So it would be nice if there was a UA card in Canada so we could put our credit card-spend earnings and flight earnings into one bucket.
+1

So tired of seeing the Chase MP Explorer pamphlet in the seat-pocket, with the bewitching Cardmember Stacy R. beckoning me to enjoy the delights of this wonderful credit card and the generous bonuses that come with it, only to be denied because I live on the wrong side of the 49th.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Since Chase Canada offers variants of the Chase US Marriott and Amazon cards, one would think it wouldn't be that difficult for them to release a United card in Canada if they felt there was a market for it. (I'm sure the fixed costs of introducing a new card product are not small, but given that Chase already has a credit card issuing infrastructure in Canada I would have suspected that there would be enough of a demand that it could be justified).

(Of course, if the card's introduction would mean PQD requirements for Canadian residents (with a credit card spend waiver), then it would definitely be a mixed blessing!)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

It has to be because of some sort of handshake deal with AC. I mean, non-Canadian airlines with a far, far smaller marketshare than UA have credit cards available here, so that tells you something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.