Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Miles and money not fully charged at booking - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum

A few weeks ago I booked two international round trip tickets for October and selected a miles & money upgrade. The return upgrades were approved immediately at booking; the outbound upgrade was and is still waitlisted. The price quoted was $600 plus 20K miles each way, per person – for a total of $2,400 and 80K miles.

As I understand it, money and miles are supposed to be collected immediately upon booking and will be refunded later if upgrades don’t come through, but my credit card was only charged $1,200 and only 40K miles were deducted from my mileage account. My itinerary shows “upgrade requested” on the outbound flights so all looks normal.

Is it normal now for the remainder of miles and money to be charged later, if and when the outbound upgrades are approved?

To further complicate matters my mileage account now has less than 40,000 miles in it due to another booking and won’t be back above 40,000 for about 2 months from now. What happens to my upgrade request if it is approved before enough miles are back in my account for it?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
IN my experience, Miles and Money always occurs at the time you do the transaction, whether is clears or not at the time.
You may want to call customer service.
not sure of your destination, but with your status (GS) you will probably have not problem clearing if you delay doing this for 2 months when you have the 40k needed
good luck
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thank you very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.