Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSY-IAH Ship Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
This part year UA has been getting totally bashed by many (not me) with all the problems since the merger, helping those cruise passengers home would have given them some good press. Again, UA owns the MSY-IAH route so why not operate the charters.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Seriously, why does it matter
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Probably Not. But if I worked for UA, maybe upper management watching the story about what happened to those people I certainly would think about the opportunity of helping out, especially especially considering the people needed to get to Houston where you have a very large presence.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
This part year UA has been getting totally bashed by many (not me) with all the problems since the merger, helping those cruise passengers home would have given them some good press. Again, UA owns the MSY-IAH route so why not operate the charters.
If UA did, that would have meant another 10+ unscheduled takeoffs and landings at one of their major hubs pretty close to each other, which means that they would have delayed some of their own flights with their own passengers and their own paid customers would be irritated.

Who wins charter contracts is immaterial.

IMHO, the government should have taken a few C-130s to take care of that through Air Force bases (and billed the cruise line) without disturbing civilian air traffic, and let it be.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, Southwest owns MSY-HOU and Hobby is actually quite a bit closer to Galveston which is where the Triumph departed from......

And, yes, WN operates charters as well......

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
If UA did, that would have meant another 10+ unscheduled takeoffs and landings at one of their major hubs pretty close to each other, which means that they would have delayed some of their own flights with their own passengers and their own paid customers would be irritated.

Who wins charter contracts is immaterial.

IMHO, the government should have taken a few C-130s to take care of that through Air Force bases (and billed the cruise line) without disturbing civilian air traffic, and let it be.
Have you ever ridden in a C-130? I have. It's not much fun.

BTW, USAF tends be fully committed these days what with budget cutbacks specifically with regard to their C-5, C-17 and C-130 transport aircraft.......

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 17, 2013 at 8:07 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE

Unworkable, and gets the government in the business of competing with private business.

They paid for the charters, as they should.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Again, UA owns the MSY-IAH route so why not operate the charters.
Simple, because someone at UA made the decision that it didn't make economic sense to do so (assuming they had the opportunity). Can you provide a compelling, fact based, financial justification for running these charters? Something better than "it would make good news headlines"?

Otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that people who had access to a lot more cost data and airline financial analysis capability made what they thought was the best decision.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Unworkable, and gets the government in the business of competing with private business.

They paid for the charters, as they should.
I would add that Carnival is a Bahamian Flagged Ship. The United States Government should not be in the business of helping out private enterprise, especially foreign based companies.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by vandalby
Simple, because someone at UA made the decision that it didn't make economic sense to do so (assuming they had the opportunity). Can you provide a compelling, fact based, financial justification for running these charters? Something better than "it would make good news headlines"?

Otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that people who had access to a lot more cost data and airline financial analysis capability made what they thought was the best decision.
On the PR front United could use more positive PR than DL at the moment so its not just about financial analysis. One logical PR analysis is that United saw more negative possible PR outcomes (plane delayed, poor customer service, etc.) than positive possible PR outcomes so didn't pursue the charter business.

On the financial analysis front the same folks who have "access to a lot more cost data and airline financial analysis capability" are involved in United's overall financial performance which has lagged lately. If they can't even get their core customer business tracking as well as the competition I see no reason to think they are a slam dunk to get the analysis about the charter business right.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92
On the PR front United could use more positive PR than DL at the moment so its not just about financial analysis.
Can you post an example of some "positive PR" DL received from doing this?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the third straight year in a row, DL turned in pre-tax, pre-profit sharing profts of more than $1.5 billion, and over $2 billion in 2012.

UA, on the other hand, didn't. Not by a mile.

IMO, the last thing UA needs to worry about is ferrying 1,500+ sewage-soaked passengers from MSY-IAH. Outbidding DL for this type of charter opportunity can wait until Jeff fixes UA.

With the 787 on the ground, UA's widebody fleet is stretched thin at this point, despite February being a rather slow month for international travel.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Bear96
I haven't seen much of anything (good or bad) of DL's involvement in this event in the media. That's my point. Both United and DL should have considered PR impact of getting involved in this event. DL probably considered the PR impact could be managed and the numbers worked to make money. United could have concluded that the PR impact was too much of a wild card and not worth the risk. Even if the numbers worked.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Bear96
The only Delta related "p/r," is a picture of a passenger (who was on the bus that broke down) standing in front of a Delta plane with the article detailing that he was also delayed because of mechanical issues with the plane.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Regardless of what really is behind this story, it seems to the uninitiated person out there reading his daily newspaper that DL again is doing things right. They are making pax happy, they win contracts, they buy a refinery, they begin re-configuring their aircraft, they buy into foreign carriers, they win news routes to Japan, they are on TV saying the right things and so much more. Seems DL is always in the news and not in a bad way. UA is also in the news but not in a good way. Nearly makes me feel bad that I left DL, but SM/Skypesos are just junk, so I guess I did right after all?
DL is saying things correctly NOW, and is in the news in a good way NOW. There were very few people saying that 1 year after the merger with NW.

I'd say give UA another year or two and I bet you may be surprised at how much they're starting to look like the new DL...

Originally Posted by jlemon
Have you ever ridden in a C-130? I have. It's not much fun.

BTW, USAF tends be fully committed these days what with budget cutbacks specifically with regard to their C-5, C-17 and C-130 transport aircraft.......
It is true that the C-130 is not a great plane to ride in (and never mind the fact that they generally only have limited seating due to cargo space...)

But, there are others operating C-130s that may not have had the commitments of the USAF -- for example many Air National Guard stations have C-130s.

Still, I agree that this is not the option to take.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I haven't seen much of anything (good or bad) of DL's involvement in this event in the media. That's my point.
Yeah, I hadn't seen anything either. That's kinda my point.

I think you said (or at least implied) that even if the numbers didn't work out, UA should have taken a financial hit in exchange for some sort of "positive PR." But there is no evidence of any positive PR here.

Most of this thread (and this is not necessarily directed at you, Beerman) is just about trying to find fault with anything UA does. We don't even know if UA had a chance to bid on this business, or if it made any sense operationally for them to use planes for it. Heck, an entire equipment fleet is grounded, so they likely don't even have any planes to spare. But those types of deatils don't seem to matter to the haters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.