Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveler Birthday recognitions by UA while Flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveler Birthday recognitions by UA while Flying

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by echino
My father will be flying on his birthday on UA, Y, no status
my question is why anyone on earth would subject their father to this punishing combination on any day, much less his birthday.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Given the number of people on a typical flight, most flights will have someone on board having a birthday. .... .
Classical introductory stats problem, the 50% chance if there are 250 people, that one of them has a birthday that day and if you have 100 people it is roughly 25%. Assuming a random distribution of birthdays.

Note a related problem is the probability that two of the group will have the same birthday, that is surprisingly high -- 50% for a group of 23 and for 100 near certainty.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
my question is why anyone on earth would subject their father to this punishing combination on any day, much less his birthday.
No award availability, no upgrade availability. Can't afford cash business class fare as it's expensive on that day - just before Christmas to Hawaii. But my father gets a celebration once he arrives there.

So no birthday recognition on UA, but can I call UA and pay to get him a birthday cake on board? I guess no, but I'll try, let's see what they say.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:14 pm

Unintentional Birthday Upgrade

As a 1K, I was flying on my birthday (a major one ending in zero; not telling which one!) from NRT to SFO with two family members. We had carefully selected E+ seats months in advance.

Three days before the flight, I noticed that the flight no longer showed up in our itinerary. The 1K Desk managed to re-instate the flight, but we were now scattered all over the plane in middle seats. The agent told me to try to sort it out at the airport.

At the NRT United Club, I dealt with the most efficient and polite agent (who I learned later was the agent in charge of GS members). She took our boarding passes and gave all three of us seats together in C. Quite a birthday present!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I flew a few days after my birthday this year and the GA came on-board with a note saying "Happy Birthday". Nothing super special but a nice touch!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I don't think UA is going to care unless the flight attendants check the manifest and put two and two together.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm Reason: Off topic portion of post and comment directed towards member removed
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by echino
No award availability, no upgrade availability. Can't afford cash business class fare as it's expensive on that day - just before Christmas to Hawaii. But my father gets a celebration once he arrives there.

So no birthday recognition on UA, but can I call UA and pay to get him a birthday cake on board? I guess no, but I'll try, let's see what they say.
Unless you send him to the airport with a birthday cake, he's not getting one on board. UA has no mechanism by which to cater a birthday cake.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus: 1K
I flew on my birthday this year and received a birthday card at the originating airport. I had no status at that time.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Avis First
Birthday recognition?

I've never been acknowledged when traveling on my birthday on UA...but had the computer at the Brighton (UK) Hilton play happy birthday from its really bad speaker one year. Unexpected and entertaining as the rep at the counter had never had it happen. Got an unexpected room upgrade and some goodies sent to the room.

If UA had their stuff together they would at least acknowledge special days that they should know about. They could totally use passport info to figure it out in the background.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
No formal birthday recognition from United, but about 6 years ago I was caught up in the big messy nor-easter of whatever year it was, had to evening flight out of BWI cancelled after boarding. Next day I'm at IAD, which is re-enacting the Fall of Saigon (never, ever, been so appreciative of lowly 2P status, which enabled me to use Premier lines with a 10-minute wait instead of GM line which literally ran the length of the building!!!). Re-routed IAD-SEA-SFO. Fight to SEA
delayed enough to miss my SFO connection by 15 minutes. Last flight to SFO.

As we're landing I do my usual thing, looking to see my connection pulling away from the gate. Instead an FA approaches me and says, if I run, I can make my flight.

I get off the plane and there were literally four UA staff pointing where to go and waving me through. The people on the plane to SFO must have thought I was a VIP to have the plane held! (I'll admit I was in F). And yes, it was my birthday, but no mention of that was ever made. Sure was nice though.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Birthday Perk?

Color me surprised. Upon boarding my flight at LGA on my birthday yesterday the gate agent handed me an official looking pre-printed United Airlines Birthday card and wished me Happy Birthday. The card was handed to me during the boarding process after scanning my boarding pass.

My name was handwritten then it said "Congratulations from United and MileagePlus. We appreciate your business and want to recognize you on this special occasion. Thank you for Flying United. From your United Team at LGA" followed by 7 handwritten names. Note that LGA is not my home airport.

The reason I'm surprised is that I have hardly been flying UA this year preferring instead to take my business elsewhere for various reasons which don't seem uncommon to many on FT. It does give me some small hope that UA may actually realize that they need to at least pretend on occasion that they welcome me as a paying customer. It has been a long time since UA gave me a pleasant surprise. It was a nice touch.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
We flew MCO-SFO a couple of months ago. My wife visited the desk to ask whether they needed VDBs and whether her upgrade would clear from #1 on the list, and during the conversation she noticed they had a card with her name written on it. She didn't ask about it then.

When she boarded, she noticed the IFE at her economy seat was broken. (Her upgrade didn't clear — she's only a 1K, after all.) She thought that maybe the card was a proactive SkyKit — how thoughtful of UA to notice the problem! So she asked the gate agent about it when the GA came on near the end of boarding. "Hi, um, did you have a card with my name on it?"

The GA left the plane and came back after a minute or two. "Happy birthday!". Same kind of card from the MCO station as the one you describe here ex-LGA.

Nice of UA to print the card; kinda weird that they didn't actually deliver it and a pax had to notice it was at the gate and ask about it.

(No SkyKit for the broken IFE.)

Upgrade didn't clear, but agents did leave us with an empty middle. "Euro business" is about the best we expect as 1Ks traveling together now, pretty good deal.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mherdeg

(Her upgrade didn't clear — she's only a 1K, after all.)
I'm still only a 1K too and mine did not clear either. I was #10 on the list so not even close with an H fare. They did offer to sell me the upgrade at check in for $59 though.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:43 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
After reading about UA sometimes remembering your birthday, I was on a flight on my birthday, after take off, the FA came on and said there was a person celebrating their birthday on board, my ears perked up, I started to turn a bit red, then the FA announce the name, it wasn't mine, oh well guess there is always next year.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Just saw this thread bubble back to the top. I wanted to say thanks to the community for making grandma's flight special. She passed away a few weeks ago and we both appreciated the help. 1K voice came through and got the captain to wish her happy birthday from United and her grandson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.