Wiki Posts
Search

Why not a Real Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any insight what might happen to E+ in configurations with PE?
I'd expect they will target reductions in E+, although on some oddball airframes they may end up expanding E+ if that's how the math works out between the fixed structures (doors, etc).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
When DL and AA finish fleetwide installations of PE, which major carrier that UA competes with head to head on a majority of its routes won't be offering PE?
AA only covers about 10% of UA's longhaul (I picked 7h block time as my cutoff) routes; DL only covers about 5%. So unless you do some domestic connecting in Y, there's not much head to head here.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
AA only covers about 10% of UA's longhaul (I picked 7h block time as my cutoff) routes; DL only covers about 5%. So unless you do some domestic connecting in Y, there's not much head to head here.
Fair enough. But with AA, AC, AF, BA, CX, DL, LH, NH, SG and SK all offering a real PE, there is virtually nowhere I expect to fly that puts me in the position of not having a PE alternative.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough. But with AA, AC, AF, BA, CX, DL, LH, NH, SG and SK all offering a real PE, there is virtually nowhere I expect to fly that puts me in the position of not having a PE alternative.
Even those carriers combined cover about a third of UA's longhaul routes.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:52 am

75% of my long haul travel is TATL, 20% is TPAC, 5% other. Over the past 20 years, most of my international flights have been on UA. That said, there hasn't been a single destination I've flown to that is served exclusively by UA. If I can't get there on a *A flight (where almost all the carriers offer PE), I can get there on a OW or ST partner, most who have true PE.

I've enjoyed my time with UA, and hope to see my first Polaris hard product some day. But until they bring the A350 on board, my Y flying on UA will decrease at the same rate they convert the 772s to 10 across.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You are not including connections in that, correct? Just hub flights?

So anyone not flying out of a hub, or willing to take a short domestic hop, have vastly more choice in getting long-haul PE.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any insight what might happen to E+ in configurations with PE?
I'd expect they will target reductions in E+, although on some oddball airframes they may end up expanding E+ if that's how the math works out between the fixed structures (doors, etc).
I think there will be fewer E+ seats than today, but still many more extra legroom seats than offered by AA or Delta on their widebody aircraft.

When DL and AA finish fleetwide installations of PE, which major carrier that UA competes with head to head on a majority of its routes won't be offering PE?
I don't think Delta will retrofit PE into 767s. They haven't even announced firm plans to retrofit A330-200/300s.

So, for the foreseeable future, Delta will only offer PE on A350s, 777s, and (presumably) A330neos.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
This is clearly the hub-captive thought process that animates United's management, its the old CO DNA...

Originally Posted by goodeats21

So anyone not flying out of a hub, or willing to take a short domestic hop, have vastly more choice in getting long-haul PE.
But this is the reality. For about 80% of the traffic in the US, options are about equal. On can take DL/AA/UA or a foreign carrier.

But even ex-SFO, there is not a single overseas trip I have taken EVER where United did not have competition direct competition, and usually there are more than 2 airlines flying the route. (e.g. LHR, NRT, HKG).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Beat me to it.

And to ADD, AA and DL are only adding PE to longhaul planes, and except OD traffic pax will have to connect (and have a choice).

Even when I flew out of CO superhub at IAH there was almost always a connection. Even the few years when I flew for work (OK, I was starting my switch from CO to UA via flights on US), and that was ALL domestic (even my one and only work trip to Canada - they made me fly to Spokane and rent a car from there )
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This thread has been very quiet recently. Someone on another thread claimed that United would offer PE in 2018 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28821349-post99.html). If the claim is true, the number of E+ seats on widebody will be reduced. I can assume that GPU upgrade to business will be kept. I would guess that the unsold PE seats would go to the high-fare Premier members regardless their status.
Happy speculating!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I can assume that GPU upgrade to business will be kept.
Maybe. Maybe only for some fare classes. Maybe not at all.
I would guess that the unsold PE seats would go to the high-fare Premier members regardless their status.
I doubt this.

It will be sold as a separate cabin if it happens. The occasional OpUp may come along but I wouldn't expect that to be frequent.

I do agree it likely that the product will be rolled out. Has to happen for the company to remain competitive. A shame it missed on the 77Ws.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread has been very quiet recently. Someone on another thread claimed that United would offer PE in 2018 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28821349-post99.html). If the claim is true, the number of E+ seats on widebody will be reduced. I can assume that GPU upgrade to business will be kept. I would guess that the unsold PE seats would go to the high-fare Premier members regardless their status.
Happy speculating!
OK, here are my speculations:

1 - I hope that GPU from Y to J would be permitted, but I have severe doubts. I expect that GPUs will be one-class upgrades only. I further expect that discount PE will not be eligible for GPU upgrades. I don't think they'll announce it all at once; they'll wait until they have PE across more of the plane before they start to cut back benefits. Watch what DL and AA do.

2 - I doubt that there will be CPUs to PE seats. They will do op-ups if necessary, and those will probably go first by status and then by fare, as they do today. The mantra will be, "if you want PE, buy PE."

3 - I expect that they will introduce PE awards, and, within 2-3 years, there will be a *A PE award class. The number of miles needed for J awards will increase when the PE awards are made available.

Basically, PE represents a return to three-class service. If you ignore the name and think of PE as "business class" and J as "first class," I think that you have a pretty good idea of what the future will be.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
If the claim is true, the number of E+ seats on widebody will be reduced.
Drastically reduced... it will cause problems with booking close in for E+ and SDC etc - Also, I'm guessing that golds will lose E+ until checkin (but I think that will happen anyway).

I can assume that GPU upgrade to business will be kept.
Let's see - I'll give it 50/50 that the current upgrade instrument formula remains the same after PE is rolled out.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
Actually, I would expect PE to siphon demand from Polaris Business and see an equal reduction (or more) of Polaris than E+.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Drastically reduced... it will cause problems with booking close in for E+ and SDC etc - Also, I'm guessing that golds will lose E+ until checkin (but I think that will happen anyway).
I'd go further and wager that PE will entirely replace E+ on internationally-configured planes. It would be impossible to maintain both for marketing purposes -- otherwise you'd have passengers confusing the two.

Of course E+ will remain as-is on domestically-configured aircraft, so I'd imagine Gold access at booking will be unchanged on those routes.

Originally Posted by bigboy
Actually, I would expect PE to siphon demand from Polaris Business and see an equal reduction (or more) of Polaris than E+.
Nope, not gonna happen. The whole point of Polaris was that it maintained the exact same cabin density as BF. They'd never shrink the cabin size based on mere speculation that PE might sell better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.