Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Aaron, I thing this is a terrible change; I'm curious if you guys included any SWU-users in the change discussions.

Since LH upgrades can't be confirmed in advance, its basically a guessing game if its going to work. Someone might have been flying BOS-FRA-DXB, they have only one SWU, if you tie it to the flight O/D and date, say, BOS-FRA, you don't get it, then FRA-DXB you can't roll the dice there.

Actually, there's a GREAT way you can make this work better. You can work with LH to have CONFIRMABLE e-upgrades. Those you can track easily, no mailing, no mess. Its better for us and its better for you.
This really is the key point. If you are on a long trip and you have fewer GPUs than segments, now you cannot roll the dice on each segment. Indeed, a serious devaluation.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Aaron never mentioned the process for returning all our now denied LH paper upgrades. I can guarantee this will no longer be easy to do either. So not only are we getting a pretty much useless benefit now, but its gonna be a use it or lose it proposition. I certainly don't trust a system that has a hard time re depositing unused electronic upgrades to get re depositing paper upgrades right. Might as well throw them in the garbage if you don't clear the exact flight they are printed for

Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mitchmu
This really is the key point. If you are on a long trip and you have fewer GPUs than segments, now you cannot roll the dice on each segment. Indeed, a serious devaluation.
Do you think this would be easy to do if they took electronic certificates?

I always use my GPUs on confirmable segments but on United for example don't you have to wait for ones that don't clear to redeposit?

Even IF United were able to work with Lufthansa to use these electronically do you think the turnaround time would be fast enough to continue in this way?

I'm legitimately asking how everyone thinks this would work - surely the ability to use these electronically would trump the ability to carry them with you as an insurance policy for multi-leg segments or IRROPS.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by villox
Do you think this would be easy to do if they took electronic certificates?

I always use my GPUs on confirmable segments but on United for example don't you have to wait for ones that don't clear to redeposit?

Even IF United were able to work with Lufthansa to use these electronically do you think the turnaround time would be fast enough to continue in this way?

I'm legitimately asking how everyone thinks this would work - surely the ability to use these electronically would trump the ability to carry them with you as an insurance policy for multi-leg segments or IRROPS.
I think the solution is to keep as is, ask for name, but do not fix to an itinerary, but with electronic, they could theoretically be re allocated by an agent.

I doubt they are doing this for the stated reasons.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Feb 13, 2013 at 5:39 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
United this is horrible.

Are you aware how often Upgrades are denied by LH ? What than ? Send it back, wait, get a new one ?

We are in the 21st century ?!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
What an awful maneuver. This move renders the mere attempt to use an SWU on LH as a foregone conclusion the paper cert will be useless in the future.

I guess we're just too used to being over entitled.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The current setup is a headache for LH because they have no way to account for it. When you surrender it, the cert migrates thru the accounting channels but UA provides them no way to mark it used in a systematic way like you would a ticket coupon.
This is a problem with the communication between LH and UA. I don't see how printing names and flights on the SWUs solves this problem.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
When I read the title, I was excited at first thinking they made this process entirely electronic.

Why do I get my hopes up?

Still have never bothered to redeem a GPU on an LH flight, and now I likely never will.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Wow, I was hoping we lost the BS posts like that when Shannon moved on, but obviously we have not. Who writes this stuff? Have you ever actually used one of these or seen one being used?
hey now, don't shoot the messenger.

it's abundantly clear to me in the time that i have been here that UA Insider, whether it be Aaron or Shannon or anyone else, has these types of "enhancement" posts dictated to them from above and they basically have to copy/paste them here, then get subjected to the lambasting of us "over-entitled" elites for what gets posted under their username.

i read this as an issue with LH being LH, and not as much with UA. now, the fact that LH/UA systems don't talk to one another and they share key positions in the *A, that's one thing, but Aaron isn't in a position to do anything about that, nor are any of us. Hell, UA's systems barely talk to one another seamlessly, it's a little outrageous to expect them to seamlessly talk to LH about SWUs. LH doesn't like 1Ks walking around with generic SWUs, so they are telling UA to do this or lose the privilege all together for their elites. which is better?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ddrost1
Hell, UA's systems barely talk to one another seamlessly, it's a little outrageous to expect them to seamlessly talk to LH about SWUs.
If they wanted it to happen they could. You can already confirm an upgrade with miles so why not with a GPU?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: QR platinum
Death of paper GPU

Really bad news, as a 1k based in Europe I really appreciated the paper certificates

This is effectively a way to kill the paper GPU option, especially if they do not fedex the certificates outside US as previous posters have said (I never tried requesting them from the UK yet).

Fare class restrictions (V or above for sardinen-class and C or above) are such that for the LH pricing policy it is semi-flexible travel in both classes. This usually means short notice booking, so no way of getting the certificate delivered outside US, or fully refundable booked in advance with a chance of changing plans (so certificate potentially useless). It does not make any sense to book V two months in advance paying as much as double the price over L/K for a chance of using the certificate...

My feeling is that LH might have pushed to kill this opportunity. Look at how stingy they are with the upgrades for their senators... All of those that qualified for senator based on mostly LH Y class travel were until now much better off to go for UA 1k and get 6 paper SWUs instead.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
hey now, don't shoot the messenger.

it's abundantly clear to me in the time that i have been here that UA Insider, whether it be Aaron or Shannon or anyone else, has these types of "enhancement" posts dictated to them from above and they basically have to copy/paste them here, then get subjected to the lambasting of us "over-entitled" elites for what gets posted under their username.
Back when Scott O'Leary was CO Insider, he would have a dialog with the board. People would write, and he'd respond, Co/UA would consider the changes and often, issues got fixed. That was a big win for both, sometimes (often) the suits don't understand customer impact of policies and changes. This pattern of driveby announcements just sucks. I see a post or so every week or two from UA Insider. That's not a dialog.

If UA wanted to find out how people used their SWUs on LH, they could. This is about making a difficult to use benefit even more difficult. And at the end of the day, I don't really care if its LH or UA that wanted a change, its UA's responsibility to give their customers the best experience reasonably possible. Both LH and UA support the *A upgrade program, so there is some inter-airline upgrade and settlement process. They could easily expand that program bilaterally between UA and LH to support confirmable SWU usage.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Back when Scott O'Leary was CO Insider, he would have a dialog with the board. People would write, and he'd respond, Co/UA would consider the changes and often, issues got fixed. That was a big win for both, sometimes (often) the suits don't understand customer impact of policies and changes. This pattern of driveby announcements just sucks. I see a post or so every week or two from UA Insider. That's not a dialog.

If UA wanted to find out how people used their SWUs on LH, they could. This is about making a difficult to use benefit even more difficult. And at the end of the day, I don't really care if its LH or UA that wanted a change, its UA's responsibility to give their customers the best experience reasonably possible. Both LH and UA support the *A upgrade program, so there is some inter-airline upgrade and settlement process. They could easily expand that program bilaterally between UA and LH to support confirmable SWU usage.
Agreed -- there's no engagement of the community. Just one sided announcements and lately, it's been more bad news than good news.

It would be nice if they acknowledge our comments and/or engage the FF community to be more receptive. They did that in the UADo/MegaDO but that was a one-off exception.

Mind you, I appreciate ANY annoucement in changes (good or bad) before they dump it upon us. Just wish we had more feedback/input into the process like entropy stated.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Update to Lufthansa GPU Certificate Request Process

My sense is that pax numbers are down on UA so rather than (or being incapable of) reinstating quality of services management is looking to make it less appealing to fly partners. Note the reduction in PQM for flying *A premium cabins and now this. Every month comes with a new UA disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.