Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
It will show the award upgrade class on the BP.....not the original booking class
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If O is open at the time of grading the booking class on the BP will be O, if not it will show F. When the BP is presented for retrocredit, LH will transmit the underlying fare class to the FFP, not the the O or F displaed on the BP.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The mileage crediting is handled correct based on your purchased fare.
Yes, this is indeed the rule, but I read multiple report of messy experience when trying to collect miles on a ticket which was upgraded with another FFP program (for example after applying a AA SWU and trying to collect mile on KE..), especially when the ticket was reissued..

So I was just wondering what happens in the case of a LH with a UA GPU : is a new ticket re-issued ? What reference would appear on the boarding pass ?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eddy421
Yes, this is indeed the rule, but I read multiple report of messy experience when trying to collect miles on a ticket which was upgraded with another FFP program (for example after applying a AA SWU and trying to collect mile on KE..), especially when the ticket was reissued..

So I was just wondering what happens in the case of a LH with a UA GPU : is a new ticket re-issued ? What reference would appear on the boarding pass ?

Thanks
And as has been posted -- the process works reasonable week for LH and UA MP -- you get credit for purchased fare and the reference on the BP will just be the cabin, not the fare.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Eddy421
The underlying coupon in the revenue system is untouched, only the DCS knows of the upgrade and marks the BP accordingly.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And as has been posted -- the process works reasonable week for LH and UA MP -- you get credit for purchased fare and the reference on the BP will just be the cabin, not the fare.
I've had many problems with UA, its partners, and the FFP, but this has never been an issue. Credits fine every time.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:14 pm

Wrong PNR Confirmation printed on voucher

Hi folks:

I have a GPU printed for use on LH. The Segment and flight # is good, but UA went and printed the wrong PNR on the voucher.

My itinerary has flights on UA, AC, LX, and LH (whew!)

And they ended up printing the AC PNR on the voucher rather than the LH.

I'm already traveling so no chance to get a new voucher

I'm going to try to use it on the last leg from FRA. Do you think they will care that the PNR printed on the voucher isn't the same? I have a copy of the itinerary which shows all of the PNR's and I can show how it is clearly an Air Canada PNR.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Should not be a problem mine never match as I mostly request the voucher before I buy the tickets...so I just make up a PNR for UA to start the process.... :-)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA G
I'm booked on LH metal as a UA codeshare. The certificate has the UA flight number and UA confirmation printed on it. Is this going to be a problem? Should it be the real LH metal number and LH confirmation number?
Old May 6, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
How quickly are the upgrades processed? I have an upcoming flight with an 8 hour layover in FRA and wish to use a GPU when I arrive. Is it done at the gate or immediately when you request it if space is available?
Old May 7, 2014, 12:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Hendo5698
How quickly are the upgrades processed? I have an upcoming flight with an 8 hour layover in FRA and wish to use a GPU when I arrive. Is it done at the gate or immediately when you request it if space is available?
Depends on how many seats are open - but they will for sure waitlist you!
Old May 8, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Anybody knows how long does it take currently for UA to credit a returned Paper GPU once they receive it? Any information will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by gv111
Anybody knows how long does it take currently for UA to credit a returned Paper GPU once they receive it? Any information will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
In my n=1 experience it took about 2-3 days at most.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
In my n=1 experience it took about 2-3 days at most.
Thanks so much. It was redeposited within two days in my case as well.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does it matter if I check in online first before arriving at the airport to use a paper upgrade cert? If I check in online, will that negatively affect my chances of having the cert clear?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.