Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by bmw303
Can you use a GPU with a LH flight in "Z" Business Class?
No, only C, D and J fares are eligible for a Business to First upgrade.

Last edited by janehoya; Feb 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:11 pm

150 replies ... still no response from UA Insider. Yet another classic hit and run post
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
what a joke

UA latest pathetic piece to sell a major downgrade in benis as an 'enhancement'. Now you need to redeposit certificats all the time if they don't clear. Thanks UA for taking away another perk.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by malgudi
150 replies ... still no response from UA Insider. Yet another classic hit and run post
I am not surprised. I doubt UA Insider will admit the true reason for the change, even if he knows it.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I said as much a few days ago.

Originally Posted by FreFly
I am not surprised. I doubt UA Insider will admit the true reason for the change, even if he knows it.
Nobody needs to admit the real reason but there are obvious questions that should be addressed. These would include how to speed up the redeposition process and what happens attempting an upgrade after March 1 with a pre-March 1 cert.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Nobody needs to admit the real reason but there are obvious questions that should be addressed. These would include how to speed up the redeposition process and what happens attempting an upgrade after March 1 with a pre-March 1 cert.
If the intent is to make the certificates harder to use, nothing will be done to speedup redeposit. If the intent was to stop resale, requiring only the name on a cert would be enough.

As nobody said that the pre-march certs become invalid, they should remain valid until the expiration date. Certainly those ordering certs now are assuming this. It would be nice to have a confirmation from UA Insider, of course.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA latest pathetic piece to sell a major downgrade in benis as an 'enhancement'. Now you need to redeposit certificats all the time if they don't clear. Thanks UA for taking away another perk.
Did they sell it as enhancement? I think they are just calling it an "update".

Don't get me wrong, this continues a pattern of attitude/behavior where United essentially guts a program or benefit instead of just being honest and stating that they are eliminating it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:48 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback so far. I certainly understand your frustrations about the flexibility of the new process (yes, still scheduled for March 1st). For that reason, I wanted to provide a little more insight behind our current status and what we have planned for the future.

Indeed, in collaboration with our partners at Lufthansa, we have been actively pursuing an electronic version of this product that will completely replace the paper certificate. Clearly, an electronic solution provides greater flexibility and ease of use. However, one of the other critical features is traceability, which the current certificate lacks.

To this end, we worked very closely with Lufthansa, and we were able to come to an agreement whereby we could offer the new paper certificates as a “bridge” until we are able to launch an electronic product. While I don’t have a set deployment date at this time, we all appreciate your patience while we work on it.

In the meantime, realizing that many of you have travel plans on short notice, I did want to highlight that we continue to offer the option of sending certificates by FedEx instead of regular mail, waiving the fee for Global Services and Premier 1K members.

Thanks again.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Update to Lufthansa GPU Certificate Request Process

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the update, especially in the turbulence of this thread. (Happy Monday!) It is very reassuring to know this was not a step towards eliminating a very differentiated benefit of UA GPUs.

I'm very pleased an electronic system is in the works. Do you know if this will allow some level of confirmation prior to check-in? Will it to be managed via UA.com or LH.com? I do hope they take into account LH flies into many less sophisticated airports than found in the US or DE.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:15 am

Aaron, you could've saved us from a lot of angst had your initial post included some of these details (instead of the classic hit & run), unless these were a consequence of FT feedback.

Perhaps something to think about for future downgrades (er, announcements).

Last edited by malgudi; Feb 18, 2013 at 8:45 am
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
How about making Z fares eligible? Someone buying a Business ticket well in advance enough to get the certificate timely would likely be able to get a Z fare, which isn't eligible for F.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
UA Insider,

You have not clarified the doubts and questions asked by international members. I am included in that group and would like to know what will be the best way to return certificates that did not cleared.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
... However, one of the other critical features is traceability, which the current certificate lacks.
It sounds like traceability is the business objective that drove this initiative.

Why is traceability suddenly so important?

The certificates weren't traceable before, and somehow, that seemed to be fine. So, what's driving the need to make them traceable now?

Is it a routine part of the general pattern of CO cheap-ness, relentlessly trying to find every possible opportunity to cut cost and increase control?

Or, is the sudden need driven by an increase in fraudulent use of the certificates?

Or, some other reason?

My guess here is that there has been an increase in resale and other fraud associated with GPUs, as that seems like a logical reason to drive a business change of this nature.

And, why might that be?

Perhaps it's because 1K's cannot use GPUs reliably or consistently anymore, and so, more 1K's are now have an incentive to sell their GPUs since they don't trust their ability to use them, whereas before the takeover by CO and replacement of UA systems with SHARES and subsequent upgrade process failures and severe restriction on R space, 1K's found it more valuable to consume the GPUs themselves, rather than selling them.

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
UA Insider,

You have not clarified the doubts and questions asked by international members. I am included in that group and would like to know what will be the best way to return certificates that did not cleared.
This is the new culture. All questions that don't have a good answer are just ignored.

I've faced this wall of silence on certain questions, such as upgrade integrity for companions, where the answer reflects poorly on the organization.

You know the answer. It's obvious.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:34 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 am

No surprise.

And no blank GPUs arrived here. So either they
- didn't courier them as promised
- didn't send them to the correct address as promised

I suspect that once again it will be almost two months for them to appear at the incorrect address.

Thanks, UA. I really appreciate your assistance with this matter, when I am just working within the parameters you stated in your first post.

UA Insider, may I request again that you respond to the specific questions posed by members in this thread, especially those of us who are not living in the US, and are most likely more impacted by this change?

In the meantime, realizing that many of you have travel plans on short notice, I did want to highlight that we continue to offer the option of sending certificates by FedEx instead of regular mail, waiving the fee for Global Services and Premier 1K members.
UA Insider, does this apply to GS and 1K not living in the US, and if so, why are some apparently not being sent by FedEx?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
1K and GS are the only ones who get these, if I'm not mistaken, so then how is the "waiver of FedEx fees" being mentioned at all in this context?

Further, this "bridge" of having paper SWUs has been in place for *years*!

More CO "double-speak"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.