FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1435813-8-11-feb-winter-storm-nemo-travel-waiver-n-e-impact-uas-operations.html)

mherdeg Feb 6, 2013 9:27 am

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Boston is expecting a pretty heavy snowstorm — http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...xnO/story.html .

I'm a bit surprised that UA hasn't issued a travel waiver yet. I seem to remember that earlier in the winter they put out travel waivers well in advance of a couple of predicted big storms in the Midwest, even when those storms fizzled.

weirdlyndon Feb 6, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 20196160)
Boston is expecting a pretty heavy snowstorm — http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...xnO/story.html .

I'm a bit surprised that UA hasn't issued a travel waiver yet. I seem to remember that earlier in the winter they put out travel waivers well in advance of a couple of predicted big storms in the Midwest, even when those storms fizzled.

I've noticed that UA is rarely the leader in proactively offering waivers. They wait for other airlines to put waivers in place before they match.

Case in point - I was in DEN when Hurricane Sandy hit. Every other airline BUT UA offered a waiver when it was confirmed it was going to be a big event. Hours after others did it, UA finally caved and put a waiver in place.

CDKing Feb 6, 2013 9:45 am

Slow like usual. If they are going to preemptively cancel sat AM flights I hope its done in advance. I'd hate to waste $60 on a shuttle if i'm not going on my MR this weekend. I cannot reschedule as I'm headed to SIN next week. At least the storm is not coming then

On a side note all my UDU have cleared BOS-IAH-LAS-IAH-EWR-BOS It figures it would happen when I may need to cancel

Sterndogg Feb 6, 2013 10:35 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 20196274)
Slow like usual. If they are going to preemptively cancel sat AM flights I hope its done in advance. I'd hate to waste $60 on a shuttle if i'm not going on my MR this weekend. I cannot reschedule as I'm headed to SIN next week. At least the storm is not coming then

On a side note all my UDU have cleared BOS-IAH-LAS-IAH-EWR-BOS It figures it would happen when I may need to cancel

Always late in the game...

Ironic isn't it? I know, for the first time post 3/3 I received the UDU email exactly at T96 for a Friday evening flight. Granted it's only BOS-EWR and probably will be cancelled but was pleasantly surprised with the email notification and figured would be #2136 on the waitlist with an S fare.

FlyinHawaiian Feb 6, 2013 10:58 am

The "other" US-based Star Alliance carrier has a travel waiver up...

http://www.usairways.com/TravelCenter/Advisories.aspx

mherdeg Feb 6, 2013 11:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 20196780)
The "other" US-based Star Alliance carrier has a travel waiver up...

http://www.usairways.com/TravelCenter/Advisories.aspx

Interesting, looks like that was posted about three hours ago.

CDKing Feb 6, 2013 11:15 am

For when UA posts a waiver. I know its not there yet.

I have not used waivers yet. What is the usual option? US has crappy we will tell you when you can fly logic. Is it like the Tokyo waiver that is still listed online where i can use within 1 year of date of purchase? Do i have to decide when i call in or does it stay as a credit and rebook later when i figure out when I want to go again to Vegas? It says fare difference may apply but im guessing that's if my current G fare and routing rules from when I booked are not met with the new tticket?

cordelli Feb 6, 2013 12:22 pm

United is rarely the leader in waivers, and with the predictions still all over the place for this storm, I would assume they are waiting for more weather people to actually agree on what's happening first.

As one forecast says for Boston

The exact track of the storm is still uncertain. 50 miles in either direction will make a significant difference in both the amount of snow and how far inland the snow falls.

Lurker1999 Feb 6, 2013 1:01 pm

Latest forecast is 12-24 inches with snow starting Friday morning after the morning rush and continuing into early Saturday. It's going to be a mess if this actually leaves significant accumulation in town. We haven't had a real snowfall in nearly 2 years now.

DEN Feb 6, 2013 1:12 pm

With the new NOC they put in last year (and have been promoting lately since the Dreamliner video was pulled), they have ample people and technology to wait, watch and see what other airlines do. Afterall they are the envy of the industry! :D

DEN

mherdeg Feb 6, 2013 1:13 pm

Here it is now.

Original Travel Dates:
February 8, 2013 – February 9, 2013

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Airports:
Boston, MA (BOS)
Burlington, VT (BTV)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
Manchester, NH (MHT)
New York, NY (JFK)
New York, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Portland, ME (PWM)
Providence, RI (PVD)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

Flight Changes:
Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
​​

edcho Feb 6, 2013 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by DEN (Post 20197745)
With the new NOC they put in last year (and have been promoting lately since the Dreamliner video was pulled), they have ample people and technology to wait, watch and see what other airlines do. Afterall they are the envy of the industry! :D

DEN

They actually have 24x7 meterologists there and a whole station area dedicated to weather.

pbd456 Feb 6, 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 20197751)
Here it is now.

Original Travel Dates:
February 8, 2013 – February 9, 2013

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Airports:
Boston, MA (BOS)
Burlington, VT (BTV)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
Manchester, NH (MHT)
New York, NY (JFK)
New York, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Portland, ME (PWM)
Providence, RI (PVD)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

Flight Changes:
Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
​​

so the fare differnece means that i need to same booking class only, right?
first time into weather waiver in UA. the fare that i booked was no longer there - obviously, for a MR.

SJOFlyer Feb 6, 2013 1:47 pm

I have HEL-MUC-EWR-SJO on the 9th with a GPU confirmed for MUC-EWR, how serious is the storm? I have a layover of 5+hours at EWR before going to SJO and actually was thinking of going to Times Square cause needed to buy something.

aacharya Feb 6, 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 20197902)
so the fare differnece means that i need to same booking class only, right?
first time into weather waiver in UA. the fare that i booked was no longer there - obviously, for a MR.

Within 24 hours, it doesn't matter with respect to fare class. It's easier for agents if the fare class is available, but it's not mandated.