Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I'm on UA85 (TLV-EWR) connecting to UA1703 (EWR-BOS) tomorrow (Friday).

I'm surprised both flights are still showing as "on time." Proactively booked a room at the EWR Hilton for two nights just in case and I can extend my TLV stay if needed.

ps: from where did you get that screen snap?

update: 1703 just cancelled. I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

aaaannnnd 85 just cancelled. *&^%&*@#!!! I had a GPU clear, even!

Last edited by born sleepy; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:44 am Reason: sneh
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by born sleepy
ps: from where did you get that screen snap?
That's the unitedcargo.com flight schedule view.

Interestingly, I don't see *any* sUA service into BOS -- I wonder whether they (1) are just planning to cancel the sCO flights later, or (2) are planning to try to just operate terminal A?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Hmm, is UA empowered to offer OAL rebookings during weather irrops? Our (paid) ticket LHR-EWR-BOS is probably not gonna fly and I'd really rather we get a nonstop on DL/AA/BA or thru FRA on LH.
Yes. So long as your flight is delayed or cancelled, they can rebook OAL if there is no reasonable UA option. The reason for the delay or cancellation should have no impact in your rebook options.

They prefer to book UAL, then *A OAL, then another OAL.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
School has already been cancelled in Boston for Friday. I'm sure soon everything will be cancelled. Ive been hearing that MA Emergency management has been quoting much higher snow totals expected than the news is reporting
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Point being, would it be worth giving up a cleared SWU in advance to plan for an alternate flight?
Your SWU could easily be downgraded for IRROPS, so take that into consideration
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: RVT 1K
My sfo-jfk was canx this morning but had a nice re-booking experience on the phone getting me in a couple hours later. Nice service from UA for me on this one!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
Yes. So long as your flight is delayed or cancelled, they can rebook OAL if there is no reasonable UA option. The reason for the delay or cancellation should have no impact in your rebook options.

They prefer to book UAL, then *A OAL, then another OAL.
Thanks.

This agent says that she sees OAL availability, but "because it's within 24 hours, we need to call the other airline and confirm it." She says she needs to call DL to confirm it, and "that could take 45 minutes" (she's just apparently called their main reservations line). Is this typical? Anything I can do to speed things up?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
UA84 is still coming to TLV from EWR tomorrow, even though the return UA85 is cancelled. So any idea what happens next? Does that 777 just sit here until EWR reopens? I've never had an irrop on an international before. Do I have to do anything (as if there's anything I could do)?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks.

This agent says that she sees OAL availability, but "because it's within 24 hours, we need to call the other airline and confirm it." She says she needs to call DL to confirm it, and "that could take 45 minutes" (she's just apparently called their main reservations line). Is this typical? Anything I can do to speed things up?

They're supposed to call the OAL to be safe. If you have DL status, maybe conference in DL for them?

Once they get that going, it will take some more time to reissue.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:09 pm

I had a HNL-JFK mileage run Feb8-9 (6 hours in JFK), and my JFK-SFO on the 9th got cancelled. I called and asked if I could instead go to SDF from 7-10 Feb - the agent first said they are waiving change fees, but I would have to pay the fare difference, which I knew would be huge. I started to hang up, but she said, "Hang on, let me plug it in and see what the computer says <pause> Computer says it's an even exchange, so no charge!" Cool - put a check mark in the positive IRROP experience column for 2013. ^
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I had a HNL-JFK mileage run Feb8-9 (6 hours in JFK), and my JFK-SFO on the 9th got cancelled. I called and asked if I could instead go to SDF from 7-10 Feb - the agent first said they are waiving change fees, but I would have to pay the fare difference, which I knew would be huge. I started to hang up, but she said, "Hang on, let me plug it in and see what the computer says <pause> Computer says it's an even exchange, so no charge!" Cool - put a check mark in the positive IRROP experience column for 2013. ^
What class did you get rebooked in?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
LOVE the busy tone from the "1K Call Center"...deja vu with Sandy.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why are lots of EWR flights being cancelled forecast is for mostly rain.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why are lots of EWR flights being cancelled forecast is for mostly rain.
Don't know what forecast you're looking at.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...-nemo-20130206
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
What class did you get rebooked in?
still in the original G fare, but I'm not complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.