Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to retire 22 757s in 2013 -- feelings on this action?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to retire 22 757s in 2013 -- feelings on this action?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Oh sure -- because the tickets will be a lot cheaper as a result of brand new 739s -- you forget that these new planes are expensive and if anything the ticket prices will increase
Fuel and maintenance costs will over time save money in the long haul. So by your reasoning, United should never replace their planes. I guess you want the 742s and the DC-8s back in service, huh? Geez.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Ok, I stand corrected, hadn't read the thread on product improvements in several months.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120
If they are only going to the sCO side, it puts sUA pilots out of work.
Fortunately, there are contractual block-hour requirements in place that won't put sUA pilots out of work. A contingency plan was in place for sub-United to take delivery of a number of 739s to replace 757s if the company was unable to reach agreement with the pilots, but the JCBA reached late last year effectively moots the need to make this distinction.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Perhaps instead of drive-by posting, you could explain which part of this is false?
The part where it will be several years until they are fit.

That you haven't read that it is happening doesn't mean that it isn't happening. It means you are uninformed. Nothing wrong with that, but there's a difference between claiming something as fact without any actual details to back it up and claiming a fact just because you don't know otherwise. In this case you are very much wrong and there are a number of sources which back that up, even if you don't know about them.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Less comfortable seats - entirely subjective. Although, I do prefer the sUA F seats, but do find the sCO F seats to be fine when reclined.

Less F seats - also less Y seats if competition for upgrades is your main concern?

IFE - Again subjective, more customers are bringing their own IFE and once wifi is rolled out fleet wide, it will pretty much render the overhead screen IFEs obsolete. I'd rather have choices than being subject to watching the same thing over and over.

Lower Cruising Altitude - 757's maximum altitude is FL420 vs FL410 for the 737s and how often do they go north of FL400? Very rare. FL320 is not the maximum altitude for 737s.

Shorter Flight times - Well, the 757s can fly about .02 mach faster than the 737s, but they all usually fly at .78-.80 mach, so most of the time the flight time will be the same. The differences are usually attributed to strength of winds at the time of the trip.

Here is an example of two flights departing around the same time and you can see the flight time in the air is about the same:

B738

B752

Lousy Take-off Performance - As a customer, why do you care? As long as the plane gets into the air and gets you to your destination, why do you care that the 737s require 2-3K more feet of runway?

Range - 737s won't be flying TATL, so why worry?

One thing I like about the 757s over the 739s is the 2L boarding.

739s will bring DirecTV and power ports.
I do care about lousy performance. The 739's need much more runway and when they do get off the runway they are slower getting up to cruising. Which the 739 do cruise at 32K like the A321 does. Which for a customer, usually higher turbulence for a longer period of time. The 738 is a great aircraft but the 739 is a bit too much.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iker
And yes, I do feel you're deploying hyperbole. "Every passenger . . . squeezing . . . usually meant acrobatics or imposing oneself." I mean did you take a poll of 'every' passenger? Were you so intrigued by the acrobatic feats of others that you had your head turned around for the entire flight so that you in fact witnessed other acrobatic feats? Perhaps United's aspirations to fly a more fuel-efficient jet is all a cover-up to provide a space for future olympians to practice gymnastics on their aircraft.
I used the lav during a 5 hour transcon and stood in line 30+ minutes. And yes, every single pax trying to pass during that period had to squeeze through, often jostling the pax seated in the aisles in the rear third of the a/c. Sorry that strikes you as hyperbole, but tough.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I do care about lousy performance. The 739's need much more runway and when they do get off the runway they are slower getting up to cruising. Which the 739 do cruise at 32K like the A321 does. Which for a customer, usually higher turbulence for a longer period of time. The 738 is a great aircraft but the 739 is a bit too much.
See above posts. The 739 is absolutely not limited to FL320. This is 100% false.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
Just checked for future OGG to SFO or LAX and they are starting to schedule the 737 instead of the 757.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Retired this year and replaced with what?

There is no single aisle order, nothing is coming this year.

So 737s will replace 757s. What replaces the 737s? CRJ200s.

And a CRJ200 is more fuel efficient per passenger mile? Bollocks.

Horrible decision.
UA is still receiving brand new 737-900ERs from Boeing, and has been for a while.

My understanding is they have over 20 of them coming in, and only 5 or so 737-500s to replace.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:06 pm

According to multiple websites, the 739 is certified to fly up at 41,000 ft. I'm not sure where the 32,000 ft. reference is coming up. Take a look at the following link: http://www.topspeed.com/aviation/avi...0-ar85686.html

I concede that a 757 might be able to climb faster, but this seems immaterial to the consumer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
See above posts. The 739 is absolutely not limited to FL320. This is 100% false.
Yes it is for the first few hours of a long flight. ORD-SFO flights seem to cruise at 32K for a long time then go up to 36K. Even on a recent ORD-BDL, pilot even announced, we can't go over 34K due to weight. This is on a less than 2 hour flight. 36K seems to be the maxed for any ORD-West Coast flight. I have never been above 36K on a 739 for a 2plus hour flight. I like the new interior but as far as performance, I do care. The 738 is a different animal. That baby has no problem up the 41K. The 739 is a dog just like the A321.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I used the lav during a 5 hour transcon and stood in line 30+ minutes. And yes, every single pax trying to pass during that period had to squeeze through, often jostling the pax seated in the aisles in the rear third of the a/c. Sorry that strikes you as hyperbole, but tough.
So what acrobatic feats did they perform? Somersaults? Enlighten us? You did mention the word acrobatics.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I do care about lousy performance. The 739's need much more runway and when they do get off the runway they are slower getting up to cruising.
I fail to see how this is meaningful for passengers. Whenever possible, airlines will use derated/reduced power takeoffs to minimize wear and prolong engine life. Aside from certain situations in which operational concerns demand higher performance, pilots simply are not 'firewalling' the throttles every time they point the airplane down the runway.

If you're suggesting that the 739's performance is somehow less safe than the 757, or even unsafe, due to a perceived lack of adequate takeoff capability, again that is dead wrong.

Which the 739 do cruise at 32K like the A321 does. Which for a customer, usually higher turbulence for a longer period of time. The 738 is a great aircraft but the 739 is a bit too much.
All 737NGs are certified to cruise at FL410. Not to beat the dead horse, but whoever gave you that information is clueless.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by iker
According to multiple websites, the 739 is certified to fly up at 41,000 ft. I'm not sure where the 32,000 ft. reference is coming up. Take a look at the following link: http://www.topspeed.com/aviation/avi...0-ar85686.html

I concede that a 757 might be able to climb faster, but this seems immaterial to the consumer.
Ya, from ORD-MKE they might get it to 41K. Show me a 739 on a mid con make it that high. The 32K-36K is the normal cruise. During Turbulence, we usually go down then up...

It's a safe aircraft no worries there, but the cruise is lower than the 738 and the 757 that it is replacing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:12 pm

Yes it is for the first few hours of a long flight. ORD-SFO flights seem to cruise at 32K for a long time then go up to 36K. Even on a recent ORD-BDL, pilot even announced, we can't go over 34K due to weight. This is on a less than 2 hour flight. 36K seems to be the maxed for any ORD-West Coast flight. I have never been above 36K on a 739 for a 2plus hour flight. I like the new interior but as far as performance, I do care. The 738 is a different animal. That baby has no problem up the 41K. The 739 is a dog just like the A321.
I haven't flown at 41,000 feet on a 757 in a long time, and I do transcons fairly often. I flew on a 739 at 37,000 feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.